Craigslist Scam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craigslist Scam?

So I'm in the market for a new car and I found this on Albany, NY craigslist for $2325 with only 95k miles on it. I asked him if he still had it for sale and I got this in response:

Hi there ,
    The Nissan it is in perfect condition, there's not a scratch or any dents on it. Everything from engine to tires is mint condition. I have a clear title with no liens or loans. I'm selling it so low due the fact that my medical team will deploy back to Afghanistan on March 30th for a 2 year contract and I won't let it go to waste in my backyard, therefore I need a fast and reliable buyer. If you are interested email me back.
    A few words about the SUV:
    - 2003 Nissan Xterra SE
    - Mileage: 95,000
    - Price: $2,325
    - Transmission: Automatic
    - Engine: 3.3L v6
    - VIN# 5N1MD28Y23C648918
    - Pics available at: http://s1241.photobucket.com/albums/gg519/sookramfl/
    Best Regards,
    Senior Medic Sgt. 1st Class Raymond Sanders

After telling him I wasn’t so sure I’d have the money in time, he sent this:

I'm involved in a military program currently located in Joint Base Lewis-McChord,WA due to military security reasons i'm restricted from leaving the unit's facility under any purpose and have strictly limited phone access. I am only allowed to check my email few times a day. I hope you can understand that we will have to stick to email for now. The vehicle is here with me at the base in but I’ve already made all the arrangements with DAS to pick it up from the base. DAS will also handle the title transfer for an extra $75.00.Being in the army has some advantages and one of them is the fact that I can ship it very cheap.I will pay for the shipping charges and the $75.00 fee for title transfer.The financial part of this sale will be managed by eBay for our own protection as they act as a neutral third part. eBay will keep the money until you inspect/drive the vehicle.

This is how the eBay works:

1. I will contact eBay and give all the info about this deal.
    2. They will email us the forms by email - about the buyer's protection policy, delivery, and payment.
    3. You will send the payment to eBay and they will notify me to ship the vehicle to your location.The estimated time of delivery is 3 to 5 days, they will deliver the vehicle on a flatbed truck.
    4. After you will inspect/drive the vehicle and decide to keep it, eBay will forward me the funds and the deal is done.
    You have 5 days to test it from the day you receive it. If by any chance you won't be satisfied with it you will be fully refunded and I will have the shipping company come to pick it up and I have to pay the shipping back. If you wish to purchase it please provide me your full name, address so I can initiate the deal through eBay.
    Good faith has always been my top priority and my most valued business approach.
    Looking forward to hear from you!

Something just threw me off. Also, the ad itself was taken down ever since I emailed him. Upon googling, the military base does exist.

Just need some opinions, I really want the truck, but don't know if it's worth it.

Follow your first instinct. Scam.
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Hi,
      I am selling this car because my platoon has been sent back to Afganistan and don't want it get old in my backyard. The price is low because I need to sell it before November 16th. It has no damage, no scratches or dents, no hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained and hasn't been involved in any accident...I do have the title , clear, under my name. The Denali has 35,000 miles VIN# 1GKEK63U16J138428 .
      It is still available for sale if interested, price as stated in the ad $4,300. The car is in Baltimore, MD, in case it gets sold I will take care of shipping. Let me know if you are interested, email back.
      Regards!!!
      Military stuff is almost always a clear cut scam.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/about/scams
      MRT
      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
      Originally posted by Tippey764
      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
      Originally posted by deevergote
      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

It's either face-to-face transactions or go home.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
        1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
        2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
        2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
        2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
        2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
          Military stuff is almost always a clear cut scam.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/about/scams
          Never seen those before thanks.

Originally posted by ExplodingCake View Post
          It's either face-to-face transactions or go home.
          That's how I've done it in the past and probably why I was so uneasy about this. Shame, I really wanted that Xterra, I always liked those.

Guess I'll go to plan B & C:

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/2888460739.html
          http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/2911389663.html

Comment

Plan C is no longer an available option.

Can't go wrong with a subie tho!
            92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
            2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
            2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Fortunately that subie is a 2.2l, fewer head gasket problems.... They're just wicked slow! (I almost bought one when I was looking for my wagon. The slowness wasn't a deterrent ...it was a 99 anniversary edition, green, 5spd, 2.2l. 140k, one owner.)
              Originally posted by deevergote
              These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

i'm weary about buying a car before even looking at it. Anyone who is rushing me to give them the money for something is always up to something.

Comment

Originally posted by dysfunk View Post
                  Plan C is no longer an available option.

Can't go wrong with a subie tho!
                  Why not, link still works.

And yea I figured Subaru would be a nice change of pace but still reliable enough for a few more years.

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
                  Fortunately that subie is a 2.2l, fewer head gasket problems.... They're just wicked slow! (I almost bought one when I was looking for my wagon. The slowness wasn't a deterrent ...it was a 99 anniversary edition, green, 5spd, 2.2l. 140k, one owner.)
                  I could care less about speed haha, coming from an 18 year old. I'm looking for something that will not inspire me to mod it, just a reliable daily to hold me until I graduate.

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                  i'm weary about buying a car before even looking at it. Anyone who is rushing me to give them the money for something is always up to something.
                  Yea that's how I've always gone about my craigslist business.

Comment

Scam, I had replied to a 2003 honda accord for around $3k and I got the same reply. but female and slightly different. No matter how much problems you tell them your going to run into. They have a story lined up to tell you how the situation can be handled and dealt so that in the end, you have no car and no money.
                    Everyday is one day closer to completing my cb7 <3

Comment

Scam. I like the part where he is going to contact ebay and they'll arrange to mail you the papers. Like ebay is his neighbor/friend and they'll be helping him out.

Comment

Last link comes up that its been deleted for me.
                        92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
                        2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
                        2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

lol eBay doesn't hold funds. You buy the item on their site, you pay thru an outside service such as paypal, and you get your item. eBay only hosts the auction and gets a slice for it. Old ass scam.
                          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

umm yeah.. the ENTIRE 2nd email is total bullshit that should have prompted you to delete without question and move on..

Comment

Xterras actually hold their value quite well. ESPECIALLY if they're in fantastic condition.
                              My friend was having a difficult time finding a 1992 Toyota Pickup with minimal rust for the price that guy wants for a 2003 Xterra with relatively low miles and "mint" everything else!

Have you responded yet? I say mess with him... Ask for the forms, and tell him that you sent the money.
                              If eBay is handling things (already a red flag, since you're responding to a Craigslist ad!) then chances are good that he'll be sending you a phony eBay email. You can forward that to eBay, along with any other information about him, and they may press charges. Help some other poor fool that's not as smart as you are to keep from getting scammed!

Comment

Working...
                              X