Computer help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer help!

Hey guys my buddy recently gave me a Radeon HD4860 to keep because he got a Radeon HD6770

So my setup is

Dell Dimension 9200 XPS

Intel core duo 2@1.86ghz

Windows 7 SP1

5G ram

and I have an Nvidia Geforce 8500gt that im replacing.

So my q is....

when i installed it, i get power to the video card(fan runs) but i get no output to the monitor.

I seated it more then once, connected the 6 pin power connector to both ends, and uninstalled my old video card driver.

No matter what i do, when i boot the computer boots fine, doesn't throw a fit or beep, but the monitor is black like there is no signal.

I have it connected via DVI.

Any ideas?!?!

Can your power supply support a dual 6-pin configuration? I thought Dells didn't come with very good PSU's to support cards like this.
    Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
    D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
    ┴─┴
    ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Is it DVI to DVI or do you have a converter somewhere in the mix?

Click For MRT

Comment

Originally posted by Masamune View Post
        Can your power supply support a dual 6-pin configuration? I thought Dells didn't come with very good PSU's to support cards like this.
        I second that. OP you need a power supply rated for at least 650 watts to run proper. (This is assuming even the use of even the cheapest and crappiest of power supplies). If you get a quality power supply, I think 550 should be enough.

EDIT: usually its good practice to buy a power supply capable of supplying more power then you need, as running a power supply at 80% or more capacity will drastically reduce the life of the power supply. They are also like headlight bulbs, their output/efficency drops with age. In 5 years its possible for a power supply to lose up to 20% or more of its rating. Also note that quality power supplies are typically rated lower then their max capacity. Example, my antec high current pro is rated at 1200watts, but I've seen people run almost 2200 watts through them. Realistically I wouldn't want to push it more then 1600.
        Last edited by cloudasc; 04-24-2012, 02:10 PM.
        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by Masamune View Post
          I don't know lol. It only has one free 6 pin connector...and my friend didn't mention anything about needing a dual config. FACK!

Originally posted by C-Rod View Post
          Is it DVI to DVI or do you have a converter somewhere in the mix?
          I have a DVI-VGA converter because my monitor only accepts VGA.

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
          I second that. OP you need a power supply rated for at least 650 watts to run proper. (This is assuming even the use of even the cheapest and crappiest of power supplies). If you get a quality power supply, I think 550 should be enough.

EDIT: usually its good practice to buy a power supply capable of supplying more power then you need, as running a power supply at 80% or more capacity will drastically reduce the life of the power supply. They are also like headlight bulbs, their output/efficency drops with age. In 5 years its possible for a power supply to lose up to 20% or more of its rating. Also note that quality power supplies are typically rated lower then their max capacity. Example, my antec high current pro is rated at 1200watts, but I've seen people run almost 2200 watts through them. Realistically I wouldn't want to push it more then 1600.
          Well from what I gathered earlier it sounded like it might be a PSU issue.

So basically I need to get a PSU that has dual 6 pin connectors?

I think the card manu says a PSU rated at 450 with one 6 pin connector.

You only need dual if your using the crossfire technology.

Comment

first things first... can you install the old video card back in the system? does it work? if it does can you switch to the on board video signal? Does the on board video signal work? once you have the on board video running install the new card and run the bios again to switch from on board to pci express?
            Does it work now?

Its very possible that you have dead MB... I know a couple of months I upgraded my video card and boom the first time I powered it on nothing... put the old video card in there nothing... so I had to replace the MB... GL

Comment

Originally posted by Suggested Settings
              PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.
              4X75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector is required for CrossFireX™ system.
              2X75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector is required.
              Certified power supplies are recommended. Please refer to: http://support.amd.com/us/certified/...s/listing.aspx
              1024MBMinimum of system memory.
              Installation software requires CD-ROM drive.
              DVD playback requires DVD drive.
              Blu-ray™ / HD DVD playback requires Blu-ray / HD DVD drive.
              For an AMD CrossFireX™ system, a second same AMD Radeon™ graphics card, an AMD CrossFireX™ Ready motherboard and one AMD CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable per graphics card (optional) are required.
              500 Watt Power Supply is required.
              600WattPower Supply is recommended for CrossFireX™ System.
              This is from the website.
              Last edited by Ralphie; 04-24-2012, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by L_U_D_I_AAccord View Post
                first things first... can you install the old video card back in the system? does it work? if it does can you switch to the on board video signal? Does the on board video signal work? once you have the on board video running install the new card and run the bios again to switch from on board to pci express?
                Does it work now?

Its very possible that you have dead MB... I know a couple of months I upgraded my video card and boom the first time I powered it on nothing... put the old video card in there nothing... so I had to replace the MB... GL
                No MB is fine....I installed my old card and im back up and running.

I tried uninstalling the card and going back to onboard and then installing new card and I could not get a screen to change bios on. Just no output.

Comment

Damn so i need two 6 pin connectors eh?

FUCK.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                    Damn so i need two 6 pin connectors eh?

FUCK.
                    yep

Comment

Today's video cards are power HUNGGGRRRAY! From the sounds of it, your going to need a new power supply since you need the extra 12v 6-pin connector. The only other option (provided your current power supply has enough power to do so), is a Double Molex (2 molex plugs) to 6pin adapter.

The absolute lowest rating power supply you would need is 450 to pull it off I believe, but thats borderline edge, and doesn't leave you much room for the issues I mentioned previously.

My wifes old desktop had a cheap power supply in it, it was sufficient when it was brand new to cleanly power the computer and its components (video card with no 6pin connector), it was stable for about a year and a half, then it started freezing and resetting randomly, even on a fresh virgin installation, (not able to provide enough clean power anymore) got a quality power supply for it, and the problems mentioned went away.

Comment

stick to the bigger name brands of power supply makers. don't cheap out because they won't last.

Comment

Yea well I found a 750 w with two 6pin pci cables for 60$ on newegg.

Not a name brand though...

Idk if I'll have the cash for name brand

Comment

First I would check to see what type of power connector your motherboard uses, ATX12V (4-pin) or EPS12V (8-pin).

If the motherboard uses ATX12V, then I would suggest this power supply: Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply. Its only $10 more then what your looking at, yes its 100 watts less then your current choice, but the quality is more then likely superior, and antec typically under-rates their equipment. Also take the negative reviews with a grain of salt (for any product, 4-5 stars with 50 plus reviews is very good), especially in regards to "dead on arrivals, or fails in a short time", as even the top brands have a failure rate around 5-10%, especially considering most of them all come from the same place... china. The only computer items i've seen that have a virtually non-existant failure rate are:

1. Power supply cable, that wasn't caused by physical abuse.
                            2. Intel Cpu's when handled properly, and not abused/overclocked or allowed to overheat because the heatsink is so clogged full of dust, or the case lacks sufficient ventilation, etc.

I've been breaking and repairing computers for the last 20 years, I've almost seen it all... still waiting for the day I see something that spontaniously combusts, closest I've seen is sparks / smoke.

Don't even get me started on all the "computer abuse" I've seen / done.
                            Last edited by cloudasc; 04-24-2012, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Man, my "new" video card is a GeForce 7900GT... you're replacing something better than what I fairly recently upgraded to!

If your power supply is only 400, and it suggests 600... that's a big deal. I'd think that has to be a factor. Especially if it's stock Dell crap... because Dell uses the cheapest junk they can, usually!

Comment

Working...
                              X