Dynometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynometer

OK so I'm going to school for auto and at my college we are getting a our first dynometer in a few weeks. My question is are dyno's bad for the engine at all. If the engine is old will it withstand the dyno. I know it adds resistance.

My teacher says that we will try different things like make our own cold air intake and see if it acts the same as an expensive one. It should be fun.
    1991 Honda Accord 2DR LX 180,000 Miles RIP

ummmm... shouldnt you be able to get the answer to this through your school?

Comment

Originally posted by curtie94 View Post
      I know it adds resistance.
      If a dyno was bad for an engine, do you really think people would use them?

How much resistance do you think a dyno adds?
      It is the same as a 3rd/4th gear pull.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Essentially, it's the same resistance as you'd get simply driving the car. That's the whole point. A dyno is supposed to reproduce real-world effects, so the results can be translated to a car that is driven on the street.

Comment

Even i it was more resistance than typically seen on a road, it would be no harder on the car than driving a steep hill in high gear.

If it added resistance during the pull the engine would slow its rpm climb or even loose momentum, both the same as driving a steep hill and having to gear down. Lol @ this question though.

Comment

lol, depends on how much you want to load it.
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

sounds to me like you're afraid you will blow you engine up. no worries just drive it like you would if you floor it on the street
              visit vgruk

Comment

why do so many cars blow up on dynos?

Comment

Originally posted by Xsjado View Post
                  Seems to be more and more common nowadays.
                  MRT
                  37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                  30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                  27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                  Originally posted by Tippey764
                  I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                  Originally posted by deevergote
                  sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Because people are stupid. They modify their cars to the limit of their components and forget that they are running in 4th gear which would give them about 100+ mph of wind on their engine bay. They instead stick a tiny blower motor across the front of the car expecting it to whisk away the amount of heat traveling 100MPH or more would.

They do repedative dyno runs trying to get the most out of their dyno session...
                    Car gets massively heat soaked, on top of producing much more power than stock and blows the Fug up.

Comment

Surely the wind and airflow can be replicated artificialy
                      Anyone heard of a vbox3i?

Comment

How would a vbox3i help an engine from getting heat soaked?
                        MortsAccord wasn't referring to the ECU not compensating for a lack of wind. He was talking about the fact that a car on a dyno is not getting airflow through the radiator, thus it will quickly succumb to the effects of heat, even with a fan blowing on it (a fan is not a substitute for 100mph highway speeds that would usually accompany that engine speed in 4th gear.)

People also push their cars to the limit, and alter the ECU and mechanical tuning to try to squeeze the most out of the engine. Pushing an engine to the limit while risking heat soak is definitely a good way to blow up an engine.

The dyno itself is no more harmful than driving the car normally. All it does is provide resistance to the wheels. It's a roller that simulates the resistance of driving on the street, while logging the power put through the wheels.

Comment

inexperienced tuners, engine builds that blow up, parts going south, things just happen...
                          I <3 G60.

Comment

Surely the wind and airflow can be replicated artificialy
                            Anyone heard of a vbox3i?
                            You go ahead and build a room around a dyno that will simulate 100-150mph winds that a car actually sees duing that kind of acceleration on the street. Let me know when your done.

Comment

Originally posted by MortsAccord View Post
                              You go ahead and build a room around a dyno that will simulate 100-150mph winds that a car actually sees duing that kind of acceleration on the street. Let me know when your done.
                              i don't have that much experience but i smog cars on a dyno and have seen plenty of cars overheat when they don't have a fan in front of them.

sometimes the fan doesn't even do enough.
                              I <3 G60.

Comment

Working...
                              X