Are Optima batteries crap now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are Optima batteries crap now?

Well tonight my Redtop that I bought on May 09 just crapped out on me. I even relocated it to the trunk where it sees MUCH less heat and vibration.

I was reading up on their website and it says if you purchased prior to 2/09 the warranty is 3 yr free replacement/3 yr pro rated.

But I bought mine on 5/09 so the warranty is only 3 yrs free replacement. Mine also has a Made in Mexico stamp on the top of it.

Is it really worth it to buy another? I think I might just get a Costco battery or Oreilly battery now since these Optimas only average 3 yrs. Luckily my first redtop crapped out before the 3 yr period was up and I got a free one.

What about Odyssey batteries? Not the tiny ass ones that last for about 10 min. Just the regular size Group 34 meant for our cars.

Either way, I'm going to Batteries plus armed with my original receipt tomorrow and see if they'll replace the battery or offer a discount/prorate if possible.
    Last edited by Losiracer2; 11-17-2012, 04:07 AM.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

thats what i hear but idk. ive had my red top for about 2 years or so, so far so good. not sure what the date on it is though.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

oem honda battery ftw.
      COUPE K24

Comment

i was done with those batteries when it left me and my baby stranded in the middle of summer and i couldent jump start it

Comment

Dam. That sucks. $200+ for a battery that only lasts 3 yrs? I'm sure results may vary but still..I'm due for a new battery soon which I will probably buy tomorrow. I did browse the optimas and decided I will not get one. I dont see myself using the battery to its potential considering I dont have a sound system. Also, the price is a bit steep.

Members' Ride Thread :http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...82#post2939682
          My CB7 Tribute Vid..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqWFstSzLH8
          Track ready EK..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYKsoL0i7M

Comment

yeah I don't really need a battery as strong as that, I originally got a yellow top back in 2004, then that died in two years, so I got a redtop for free, that died, then I got another redtop, and now this one died.

So really, I haven't purchased a battery since 2003 since they kept dying every 2-3 yrs, allowing me to get a new one covered under their free replacement warranty. But now, this one is at 42 months/36 month warranty.

The thing I don't get is these batteries are so expensive yet only have a 3 yr warranty w/ no pro rating....so if that's the case and I can't get one for free or discounted heavily tomorrow at Batteries Plus, then I'm just getting a standard lead acid battery that has a 3 yr free replacement with a pro-rate, preferably one made by Johnson Controls...I think Walmart is supplied by them.

Another cool thing I learned about the Odyssey batteries is they have a 12 year service life.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
              oem honda battery ftw.
              ^^^^This. OEM, also made in Mexico but have a 100 month warranty and only cost 90 at the dealer. Mine just died and I need to find my receipt to see how long it lasted, and to see just what the warranty is about. I haven't taken the old one back yet. There's a 16 buck core charge so at least I'll get that.

Edit: I just found the receipt. The battery lasted 5 years, which is 60 months. Can't wait to see what they say at the dealer when I take it in.
              Last edited by 4CYLPOWER92; 11-17-2012, 06:47 AM.

My swap thread
              Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

I have a 6 year old red top in storage waiting to go back into my cb... we shall see if it still works.

Comment

I've never had an issue with a battery from NAPA and thiers usually had the most CCA when i compared them to walmarts or auto zone.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CYLPOWER92 View Post
                    ^^^^This. OEM, also made in Mexico but have a 100 month warranty and only cost 90 at the dealer. Mine just died and I need to find my receipt to see how long it lasted, and to see just what the warranty is about. I haven't taken the old one back yet. There's a 16 buck core charge so at least I'll get that.

Edit: I just found the receipt. The battery lasted 5 years, which is 60 months. Can't wait to see what they say at the dealer when I take it in.
                    i got mine for $60 at my honda dealer.... weird. anyway, these batteries are on point.
                    COUPE K24

Comment

I use to swear by Optima, until I move to NY and my in-laws used cheapie batteries from either Costco or wherever lol.

200$ is just stupid for a battery.

You can get a decent one for $60 and it should last a few years.

Comment

i find the absolute cheapest one at Walmart, and they typically last me at LEAST 3-5 years...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                        Current cars:
                        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I used to use optima batteries in everything..bit it seems in the last 3 years they have gone to junk....I have 11 dead red tops sitting at the shop. They all will not charge over 11volts or will not hold a charge. Either charging them with a agm charger or tying them to a lead acid battery and using a standard charger

Comment

Cheapies really are the way to go. If a $60 battery lasts you 4 years, and an Optima lasts you 6 (for twice the money)... you're getting more battery for your money with the cheapie.

Comment

Optimas are overrated..

Odyssey batteries are the ISH!

Comment

Working...
                              X