Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1993 CB7 LX View Post

and explodingcake, is that a submarine?
    It's originally an island in the mouth of Manila Bay in the Philippines. U.S Army Engineers 'chiseled' the island into a concrete battleship in the early 1900's.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

thats crazy. what was their motive?

Originally posted by scudweiser
      i farted while i was getting head once, i was drunk.

Comment

Originally Posted by 1993 CB7 LX
        its so strange to see and think about to me. this abandoned city stuff really intrigues me too. idk, its something about the place once being filled with people and activity and now theyre all decayed and just overgrown. its weird to me. and why is detroit being abandoned?
        Detroit has always been a bit of a rough place, even as far back as the Revolutionary War. The reason Detroit has been abandoned is a really the result of a lot of different factors. I think it starts with decades of political corruption and having an economy completely dependent upon manufacturing. The political corruption pushed out a lot of the wealthier residents, and larger industry, primarily Ford, GM, and Chrysler away from Detroit or the U.S. entirely With the loss of the big three more people left, more industry left, political corruption increased, crime increased, the tax base became to small to support education and public safety, and Detroit became the hell hole it is today.

It's not just Detroit, most of Eastern Michigan has suffered in the last 25-30 years due to an over dependence on manufacturing, the loss of General Motors jobs probably the most detrimental. Before the collapse Flint, Saginaw, and Bay City were great places to live, then when GM left and moved most of their operations to Mexico it devastated our local economy practically over-night. Flint and Saginaw have become almost as bad as Detroit in many places as a result of this and their own political issues. Bay City is not as bad, it has enough other things going, and it serves as a bedroom community to the Dow employees in Midalnd. Regardless the fact the B.C. Powertrain operation have shrunk considerably has hurt B.C., especially the east side, where the industrial families live/lived.

The economic downturn has also harmed northeastern Michigan. We no longer get the tourists from down below like we used to, because our biggest market was trying to profit off of the Autoworkers while their plants were changing over for the new model year. Combined with our own political corruption and the loss of a rather large Air Force Base, our economy has also suffered substantial loss of both money and people.

In basic Detroit and every place like Detroit suffering from political corruption and a dependence to Unionized labor at noncompetitive companies, has suffered in recent history. Just happens Eastern Michigan has a lot of towns like that, with Detroit being the prime example of what NOT to do
        Last edited by STOCKa6; 05-04-2013, 10:10 PM.

Comment

wow. i had no idea that the big 3 dont really operate there anymore. its crazy to think that something as simple as politics can ruin a once great city. and with a lot of manufacturing, almost all of it, moving overseas, it definitely takes jobs away from the people who live there.

Comment

Ford has at least been stable here in Michigan for the last few years. Chrysler has come so close to bankruptcy so many times they couldn't move to another country, rather they just cut way back on shift and employees. General Motors is starting to make a comeback, but they have been saying for years they were bringing jobs back. I for one do not for a moment blame the big three, they did what they had to do to stay afloat. I personally place the majority of the blame on the United Auto Workers and the attitudes of the Union members who drove the companies out of the U.S. and practically out of business. I'm hoping Michigan's new right to work law will attract jobs back. I think Honda and Toyota have done a good job demonstrating that goods can be built in the U.S.A. with high quality in a cost effective manor with no unions, and still have happy employees, customers, and communities.

Comment

thats true, unions can be a dangerous thing.

Comment

Then there is the matter of trying to fix Detroit, I personally have no expectations of seeing a thriving and economically strong Detroit in my life time. It would take Billions of dollars to rebuild all of the buildings and dated infrastructure in Detroit, and time. While it was destroyed over the course of a few decades, it took nearly two centuries of building and scientific and cultural contributions to reach Detroit's apex. It could easily take 100+ years to see a thriving Detroit.

Comment

thats true, especially after looking into it a little more. even buildings in downtown are abandoned!

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
                    I don't find any of it scary or depressing. It's like modern ruins. The city is back on the rise. I see a lot of it as inspirational and beautiful. I really enjoy driving through the neighborhoods. There are many places around the world that have ruins. It doesn't have to be purely bad, it just depends on how you look at it.

http://zfein.com/photography/detroit/
                    But don't you have many many guns?
                    I can't really carry any of mine, which makes them worthless for driving through Detroit.

You didn't see any of the Detroit memorabilia when you were up here?
                    Everyone from Southeast Michigan claims they're from Detroit, and most have never set foot in it, for good reason.
                    Detroit invokes a nasty tough image.

I know there is one member who is closer to Detroit than me. Cisco might be as well, but I never really got to know him or where he lives.

The rest of you:
                    While the big three have lots to do with it, it's not solely their fault.
                    They are shitty companies that make shitty products, and we're not going to talk about that in this thread. Just accept it as fact.
                    MRT
                    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                    Originally posted by Tippey764
                    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                    Originally posted by deevergote
                    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Also, if I had 10 grand or so, I'd go buy a block or two in Detroit.
                      Tear everything down, and make myself a sanctuary. As I acquire more money and land, my sanctuary would get bigger.
                      MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

its so strange to see and think about to me. this abandoned city stuff really intrigues me too. idk, its something about the place once being filled with people and activity and now theyre all decayed and just overgrown. its weird to me. and why is detroit being abandoned?
                        I agree. The whole thing intrigues me as well. Same with Chernobyl, I've been watching videos and looking at photos.

When I was in Detroit, I just got this weird uneasy vibe about the place, just due to the fact it was so run down.
                        Last edited by crazymikey; 05-05-2013, 02:04 AM.

Comment

thats crazy. what was their motive?
                          It was a perfect defense point on that area. More Forts are located within it radius , all are abandoned after WW2.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
                          1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
                          2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
                          2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
                          2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
                          2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
                            But don't you have many many guns?
                            I can't really carry any of mine, which makes them worthless for driving through Detroit.

You didn't see any of the Detroit memorabilia when you were up here?
                            Everyone from Southeast Michigan claims they're from Detroit, and most have never set foot in it, for good reason.
                            Detroit invokes a nasty tough image.

I know there is one member who is closer to Detroit than me. Cisco might be as well, but I never really got to know him or where he lives.

The rest of you:
                            While the big three have lots to do with it, it's not solely their fault.
                            They are shitty companies that make shitty products, and we're not going to talk about that in this thread. Just accept it as fact.
                            I don't carry in MI. Never had a gun on me there. I'm not sure what you mean by memorabilia. But I've spent plenty of time downtown. I have a few friends who live in some "sketchy" neighborhoods. I know what you mean about the image. I have to explain to people that the neighborhood I live in isn't run down. The FB page of this years interns get stupid sometimes. A guy asked me if he should be worried about having to walk 1/4 mile to work because Detroit is so dangerous. I had to explain to him we weren't in Detroit and to chill out.
                            '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

What about Hashima Island?

Mitsubishi owned it and then vacated it and left it for ruins...

It's pretty crazy.

Im with you guys, this stuff is beyond intriguing. I love decaying cities because too me they represent a photographers heaven.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aban...w=1440&bih=813

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hashima_Island

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
                                I don't carry in MI. Never had a gun on me there. I'm not sure what you mean by memorabilia. But I've spent plenty of time downtown. I have a few friends who live in some "sketchy" neighborhoods. I know what you mean about the image. I have to explain to people that the neighborhood I live in isn't run down. The FB page of this years interns get stupid sometimes. A guy asked me if he should be worried about having to walk 1/4 mile to work because Detroit is so dangerous. I had to explain to him we weren't in Detroit and to chill out.
                                Everyone wears something that says Detroit on it.
                                Or: "I'm a badass because I'm from Detroit!"
                                Or something to that tune, when in reality they live in Auburn Hills.

I guess the image is pervasive, judging by that guy you're talking about.
                                MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Working...
                                X