gained 30% millage by fixing nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gained 30% millage by fixing nothing

My cb9 gets about 21-22mpg highway. Which due to the automatic transmission , heavy weight , is to be expected.

I however saw an episode of Mythbusters where they tested hypermiling. I figured I'd give it a try considering the automatic gearing isn't very good on a cb9.

It actually works...... From light to light the car now gets 29mpg.

All I did was drive 45mph max with the windows up , and accelerating slowly.

Can you imagine how good the millage would have been if I actually did some form of maintenance on the car as well? lol

Drag.

It's not your friend.

Comment

Here is my proper figures from my experiment

1992 honda accord wagon automatic
      65-70mph 21-22mpg
      55mph windows up 25mpg
      45mph windows up 29mpg

and also

1994 chevrolet 6.5l diesel dually
      65-70mph 16-17mpg
      55mph windows up 20mpg (small improvement , but still worked lol)

Comment

i saw an episode of mythbusters about MPG's, they said that anything under 55-60mph drag isnt much of a fact (windows down), anything faster than that drag kicks in and starts doing its thing to the MPG's.

i drive normally 65mph and have been averaging about 28.8-29.1mpg in an auto. its all how u drive, i also coast when i exit hwys and down hills which help too.
        FRIENDS
        DONT LET
        FRIENDS
        ROLL ON
        ROTA'S

Comment

I drive my CB9 90 miles a day between 55-70 and get a solid 28-30 mpg depending on temperature. That's with the AC on all the time. Cooler weather without the AC I bust 30 regularly.

No cruise control BTW
          1992 Accord LX CB9 149K Stock
          2014 F350 Platinum CCSB SRW

Comment

45mph is the sweet spot in my Fit, I can get 60mpg with little to no stops. Worst I have ever gotten in my fit was 22mpg, and I plead the fifth for that hour and a half.

Cb with a/c on in Texas I got 22mpg average. 18mpg was the worst I've gotten.Without a/c I've gotten 32mpg all highway at posted speeds between Oregon and California.
            Last edited by cloudasc; 08-23-2013, 03:55 PM.
            PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

IDK if you come across my thread in the tech section, so far i havent done any major mods just a few parts that i replaced. hopefully soon i'll be doing aero mods for improvement.

if you're interested and like to follow, heres the link. i'm almost at my original goal, and as time passes (and money comes in) more mods will be added and posted in the thread.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=196405&page=4
              FRIENDS
              DONT LET
              FRIENDS
              ROLL ON
              ROTA'S

Comment

Something is not running right on your guy's cars.

my 274k mile original engine EX 5spd with just an AEM cold air intake gets 31 highway in the summer with the AC going at 80mph.

When drafting people I can get 37mpg.

I immediately notice about a 1-2mpg improvement by removing the factory mudflaps it had though. And another 2-3 mpg after installing the Cold air intake. other than that, everything else is bone stock. It does have a new distributor though that the previous owner put on, its aftermarket and starting to leak a bit now after the 35k miles I put on.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                  Something is not running right on your guy's cars.

my 274k mile original engine EX 5spd with just an AEM cold air intake gets 31 highway in the summer with the AC going at 80mph.

When drafting people I can get 37mpg.

I immediately notice about a 1-2mpg improvement by removing the factory mudflaps it had though. And another 2-3 mpg after installing the Cold air intake. other than that, everything else is bone stock. It does have a new distributor though that the previous owner put on, its aftermarket and starting to leak a bit now after the 35k miles I put on.
                  I got an autotragic, and I can be a very 'spirited' driver at times, plus I got mudflaps, and the car is still stock height.

One thing I can say that makes a huge difference in economy is how wide your contact patch is, coupled with wheel and tire weight. My Fit came with 185's, and I changed to 205's, that each tire is 3 lbs heavier, and those two things have lowered my cars economy by 2-3mpg average, but I feel much safer and in control in various bad weather conditions, comfort is increased, I have not got a single puncture like my factory tires did every 4-5k miles, and overall I am happy with the trade-off. It is something to seriously consider if your looking to make the most of your petrol.
                  PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

dont lift it and put all terrain tires and drive like a jackass. thats what i do and get 20's in my subaru hahahaha
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                    X