Car Dolly tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Dolly tips

Im about to tow a 1977 ford f100 with a 2007 ford f150.. On a tiny car dolly. 40 miles. Im just looking for advice because iv never towed anything with a car dolly and definitely not something this heavy.
    -Will

You can check on U-Haul's web site to see if it is a recommended towing application. Make sure the truck is secured to the dolly and the dolly to the tow vehicle. Take it easy.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I would skip the tow dolly and rent an open trailer from U-haul for about $70 a day, its safer and much easier to use. Also, on some rwd drivetrains you need to remove the driveshaft so the transmission wont spin dry just incase you use the dolly.

Comment

When I needed to move/tow my LX, I went on to U-Haul's site to see if I can rent a tow dolly. The truck I have for towing was Explorer. The site said I cannot rent a dolly from them because of potential hazard.

So, I bought a dolly on CL. Used it for towing for 30 miles on streets to my destination with no issues. I kept speed low and steering input very gentle.

Having said that, using a tow dolly on rwd is not recommended as I read some place. It is due to what dirtyrice is pointing out, I think.
        A&P-IA

Comment

Rent the trailer.
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Just disconnect the driveshaft and you will be fine. That is if your dolly is wide enough for the front wheels to even fit?

Take note that you cannot back up with a dolly or turn very sharp. I towed my cb7 from Miami to Minneapolis a couple years ago with a v6 jeep liberty on a dolly, 1900 miles straight, longest 28 hours of my life lol.

Comment

we too had thought about renting one of those tow dollies from U-Haul and they said I couldn't rent it because it was a rear wheel drive vehicle and said I would have to rent the trailer instead and we couldn't afford that.
              1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
              1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
              1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
              1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

Working...
              X