Suggestion for CB7Tuner Archiving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion for CB7Tuner Archiving

So from time to time I find myself going though the DIY's looking for guides on how to fix various things with my CB's, my dad CD and CB as well. Sometimes I go to these DIY's and the pictures are gone (I like the visuals, they are very very helpful at times) due to the person who owns them not using the account anymore or they have removed the pictures. I was wondering if there was a way we could keep them on the CB7tuner servers or somewhere were the pictures don't go away at all. I understand privacy issues and what not but since we are trying to keep well documented information here, I thought that just might be a good idea if space permits. This could be good for gallery purposes as well.
    The CB7 Collector.
    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
    92 LX Coupe F22A1
    2013 Toyota Corolla S
    92 EX Sedan F22A1
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Bandwidth.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's because of the image hosting sites that the pictures disappear. It would be cool if we could upload our pictures to the CB server instead of the hosting sites, but I don't think it would work. It would be expensive, and we would have a huge amount of unwanted traffic of folks trying to take advantage of the picture hosting.

Comment

i always wanted to offer some hosting space/bandwidth for this purpose, but VBB forum software isn't set up to be able to store user-uploaded images on a different server. Asking users to log into another new, independent image-uploader service (running on my server) would be too much to ask, since most people can hardly even figure out any of the existing popular free ones.
        Last edited by cp[mike]; 03-24-2016, 06:47 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Bandwidth.
          I thought that might be the case.
          The CB7 Collector.
          92 LX Coupe F22A1
          2013 Toyota Corolla S
          92 EX Sedan F22A1
          Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

It's one major downside to being on a small host. Pandemic is absolutely wonderful, but they don't have the capabilities of the bigger hosts. However, I have no interest in changing. CB7tuner had some issues (both due to user error and hardware failure), and Pandemic pulled us out of the fire with minimal losses. CD5tuner was on GoDaddy's servers... and that site is now officially gone, leaving us with nothing but a dozen corrupted backups... thanks to GoDaddy.

I do want to figure out a more reliable method for image hosting as we go back into the re-building of our DIY section. I have yet to think of anything truly sustainable, though. That's a large part of why the DIY revamp has been stalled.

Comment

not sure if they are still around, but what about a CB7tuner DIY photobucket account?

itll be a bit complicated as the pics will have to be saved to the photobucket account. then copy/paste the code in the post.

again itll be more work but atleast itll regulate things a bit

Comment

The only issue with that would be that if we offered a communal image hosting account, it could be abused. People could use it for personal image storage, or they could even maliciously delete or rename images.

Right now, the best option would be to do something like that, but have dedicated staff members do the uploading. The only problem is that could be VERY time consuming... and I've learned that people very often just quit doing the jobs they agreed to do, often without notice. AoM is a clear indicator of that.

Comment

Haha, seriously! Raf is the face of the site 19 months running!

Comment

Ralphie used to make the front pages for me, until I got too busy to upload them (when he made 3 in a row that didn't get uploaded, he quit making them.)

I'll most likely change the front page sooner or later so it doesn't require frequent updates. I just forget to do it, since I never actually go there!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      The only issue with that would be that if we offered a communal image hosting account, it could be abused. People could use it for personal image storage, or they could even maliciously delete or rename images.

Right now, the best option would be to do something like that, but have dedicated staff members do the uploading. The only problem is that could be VERY time consuming... and I've learned that people very often just quit doing the jobs they agreed to do, often without notice. AoM is a clear indicator of that.
                      Tell you what Mike, I can look into something like that, bring the idea to you and see what you would like to do from there. Or even build a second site specifically for said photos. I'll keep you posted!
                      The CB7 Collector.
                      92 LX Coupe F22A1
                      2013 Toyota Corolla S
                      92 EX Sedan F22A1

Comment

What kind of space do you think it would require for DIY photos Deev?

Comment

Space isn't really the issue. It's bandwidth. Take that image in your sig, for example. It's about 26kb. Very small. However, it probably gets viewed hundreds of times a day. Each time it is viewed, it's essentially downloaded.
                          Multiply that over a full month, with much larger pictures... and it gets overwhelming.

If I could figure out a way to integrate an image upload function that would point to an unlmited-bandwidth image host rather than the CB7tuner servers, that would be ideal. That's beyond my abilities, though.

Comment

Im still down to edit the front page.

I know it's hard to find time to update it, but Its all good.

When you want to update it, let me know and ill knock it out.

I think the best idea for hosting DIY Images is Flickr.

Yes it would have to be a shared account but I would ONLY allow mods to have access.

So yes, basically one person would have to do all the uploading but it shouldn't be that hard as Flickr is amazing for bulk uploading and batch organizing.

It would be easy to make folders for every DIY and this way its easy to find and edit.

And the best part is they offer 1TB free.

That is A LOT of images. Shit I have a few hundred FULL SIZE jpgs and I haven't even broke in to the 1% lol.

They also offer multiple posting options, like different sizes/with or without info etc.

I could go on and on. Flickr rocks. If you're going to host images for that purpose, I don't think you would find a better option(other than a dedicated server)

I would be willing to handle this and then hand over the account or help out in some way. I mean Im sure a few people on here have a Flickr, not sure how many of the active mods have one. I know Jayson has one so he is more than familiar with its capabilities.

I would need to figure out a good time but if you would want me to help out it would have to be between now and Sept as in Sept I start my Masters and will have 0 time for anything lol.
                            Last edited by Ralphie; 04-08-2016, 10:33 AM.

Comment

OMFG

Always with this shit-

Of course there already is a Cb7tuner member on flickr-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/26500855@N05/

9 images, made in 2008. Not used anymore.

Any idea who that is? I didn't see a name or email and don't recognize the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X