No announcement yet.

Who's got some interesting DIY ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid Q. , how does auto sensing wipers work? (Pictures spong pad on the bumper) Where/what is the sensor? Doesn't snow make it think its always raining?

Comment

Uses light and refraction. Infrared light is aimed at the windshield and bounced back to a sensor. When the glass is wet, refraction causes the light signal to lose some of its strength (I guess sending some 'into the atmosphere'?) before it reaches the sensor, and that low signal turns the wipers on.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

If I remember correctly one of our members actually found a JDM auto sensing wiper for our cars. Warukai or something like that. Theses CB7's were so far ahead of their times in Japan, too bad we didn't get half the cool features they did in the US.
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I want the navigation system just to laugh at it.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
            Uses light and refraction. Infrared light is aimed at the windshield and bounced back to a sensor. When the glass is wet, refraction causes the light signal to lose some of its strength (I guess sending some 'into the atmosphere'?) before it reaches the sensor, and that low signal turns the wipers on.
            Ok... so in the winter my windshield is pretty much always wet. I'm going to assume the feature can be disabled.

Comment

I've never had a car with auto wipers, but I wonder if they can be set like auto headlights. As in, they'll only go on when put in "auto" mode. Otherwise, they could be off, or set to a user-controlled speed.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                I've never had a car with auto wipers, but I wonder if they can be set like auto headlights. As in, they'll only go on when put in "auto" mode. Otherwise, they could be off, or set to a user-controlled speed.
                Must be. I would think they would be annoying. ie - don't put your wipers on when you have mud on the window or 2 tons of bugs. It will just smear across the window and no amount of water will take it off.

I'm still waiting for a car where you don't have to pop the hood to put windshield washer fluid in. I did see an expensive Bentley and the windshield washer fluid was beside the gas cap. Also the Bugatti I think has it on the outside too.

Comment

That would make sense. Not that it's a huge inconvenience, but I never even thought about that... there's no reason why washer fluid would need to be added under the hood!

I'd like to hook up a system where your headlights go on whenever your windshield wipers are on full-time (not when you do a quick manual swipe, or when you use the washers.) Where I live, it's the law to put your lights on if your wipers are on. Most cops don't hassle people for it, but you CAN get a ticket if your wipers are on and your lights are off. Also, it's REALLY easy to miss an asphalt-colored car speeding down the road in a downpour if they don't have their lights on!
                  Honestly, I'm not sure why such a thing isn't already standard. It makes so much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                    Must be. I would think they would be annoying. ie - don't put your wipers on when you have mud on the window or 2 tons of bugs. It will just smear across the window and no amount of water will take it off.

I'm still waiting for a car where you don't have to pop the hood to put windshield washer fluid in. I did see an expensive Bentley and the windshield washer fluid was beside the gas cap. Also the Bugatti I think has it on the outside too.
                    Im a commercial driver and the trucks we use for in-city hot shot deliveries have the washer reservoir inside the cabin on the passenger side, 95% of our trucks are always empty on windshield washer fluid and even coolant; downside to this design is that i have seen trucks leaking the washer fluid inside the cabin before.
                    I see some good ideas here that would be magnificent when everything is
                    operating properly but as we take a look at late 80's and early 90's Cadillacs/Lincolns we can see what happens when electronics go from friend to becoming the enemy.
                    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Really, how is this not a thing yet? Or a seperate spot on the car somewhere just for washer fluid. I'd understand if my washerfluid reservoir held 20 gallons but nope, still can't fit one jug in it :P Or ever try putting washer fluid in with the hood up, cold day, in a large mall parking lot.............. ON A WINDY DAY? Riiight, haha. Shit goes everywhere!

^^ I had this idea that someone should make a "Canadian Car" and this was one of the ideas. Just items that should be mandatory on a car for winter driving only.
                      1. Undercoating x 100
                      2. Heated steering wheel, seats, windows (front and rear), and cup holders
                      3. Extra rock guards around wheel wells
                      4. Wipers that actually work in the winter and below -30C
                      5. HVAC that functions properly. Heat on the floor with cool air coming out of the dash (visa~versa).
                      6. A dual climate control that has two seperate fans for each person
                      7. Alot of headlights, w/ wipers & spray
                      8. Remote start that lets you control the whole HVAC system, heated seats, etc.

The list goes on......................

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                        A very cold trip (-17 F) in one of my CBs got me thinking about an intake air heating system. I believe the very bad fuel mileage I got for that trip was related to very cold intake air affecting fuel atomization. I though about running an intake duct to behind the radiator fan and using intake resonator switching valve to automatically try to maintain intake air temp greater than 50-70 degrees in cold weather.

With the weather warming up, my motivation will diminish until next winter unless global warming solves the problem for me.
                        I made a warm air intake for my old Honda Element SC. We get 6 months of cold weather where I live and the warm air definitely makes a difference in the winter. The engine will warm up faster and in return, so will the inside of your car. Also a warm engine is better than a cold engine for a few reasons. No ragrets.

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                        Was more of a heads up for hiptech. I've tried the visors from a '98 Accord Coupe, they don't fit. I don't remember why. I've thought about trying Legend visors, and possibly Vigor visors. I also think I have tried a 5th gen Accord and they don't fit either. But along the same lines I've been trying to find something that fits that can extend.
                        I can tell you the Vigor visors will not work, also they are near impossible to find and a pretty penny if you can find them as they only made them in Japan. Ask me how I know...

The Vigor doors are not framed. The visors attach to the chrome molding around the doors, not the doors themselves. Basically the same setup as a Subaru.
                        I can't remember off the top of my head if the Legend is the same.
                        CC2 Vigor.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermonter View Post
                          I can tell you the Vigor visors will not work, also they are near impossible to find and a pretty penny if you can find them as they only made them in Japan. Ask me how I know...

The Vigor doors are not framed. The visors attach to the chrome molding around the doors, not the doors themselves. Basically the same setup as a Subaru.
                          I can't remember off the top of my head if the Legend is the same.
                          Hey Vermonter I believe the "visors" Rilas was referring to were the interior type that attach to top of windshield not side glass (doors).

Easy to confuse as I've found out during my search for replacements. Seems there should be a different name for side glass visors instead of sun visors...
                          My Collection:
                          93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
                          00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
                          04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post
                            Hey Vermonter I believe the "visors" Rilas was referring to were the interior type that attach to top of windshield not side glass (doors).

Easy to confuse as I've found out during my search for replacements. Seems there should be a different name for side glass visors instead of sun visors...
                            Correct, looking for the driver/passenger visors, on the headliner that you fold down and swing out by the windows to block the sun. Not the exterior ones.
                            MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by hiptech View Post

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                              Correct, looking for the driver/passenger visors, on the headliner that you fold down and swing out by the windows to block the sun. Not the exterior ones.
                              Ah ok. My bad. well the cool thing about the Vigor visors is that they have a center visor that flips down between the rearview mirror and headliner, but otherwise the driver and passenger visors look the same as the cb7 visors.
                              CC2 Vigor.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                                Or ever try putting washer fluid in with the hood up, cold day, in a large mall parking lot.............. ON A WINDY DAY? Riiight, haha. Shit goes everywhere!

Does this setup not make the windy day thing a much bigger problem? It looks like you need a funnel to fill this up without spilling even on a calm day. There's no escape from wind unless the reservoir neck is inside the car, which I definitely would not want. Old Explorers have them by the taillight:

Personally I'd rather mine stay under the hood because:

1) That's where your nozzles are, so it makes sense to not run hoses that might leak to the opposite end of the car. Cars that do, like for my RSX's rear hatch nozzle, have drainage channels designed into the car's inner structure.

2) I plan to put one of those flush motorcycle gas caps on the wagon.

3) The engine bay is an area of dirty work; I don't care if I spill a bit in there. Anywhere else and I'd have to carry paper towels around just in case.
                                Last edited by CyborgGT; 02-20-2017, 10:49 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                                X