What country makes the best cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What country makes the best cars?

I just figured I would put this out there for conversation Which countries do you think are best? Which are worst? Remember that I'm only asking for opinion. Feel free to defend your opinion... just remember that everyone doesn't have to share it! Base your opinions on whatever criteria you choose. I look for a well rounded offering, with a bit of a focus on sporty performance. You don't have to use just the countries I have listed. I know there are other countries that make cars... These are just the ones I find significant.

1. Japan
    2. Germany
    3. USA
    4. Korea
    5. Sweden
    6. France
    7. Italy
    8. UK

Japan: Has a wide variety of cars, with many innovative features. Japan has produced some of the most efficient vehicles. The amount of creativity in design is on par with the Americans and Italians in some cases. The Japanese have produced some of the most reliable and affordable cars to date. Finally, in terms of performance, Japanese sportscars such as those produced by Honda (ITR, NSX, Prelude), Toyota (Supra), Nissan (Skyline), Subaru (STi), and Mazda (RX-7, MX-5) have pushed the limits of small engine technology. Motors built to tight tolerances, making significant power per liter. Japanese luxury cars are also quite sophistocated. Perhaps Japanese cars aren't the most refined cars compared to German and Italian cars, or the cheapest to repair (like US cars) but I feel they have the best overall selection.

Germany: Germany has always been seen as one of the best sources of find automobiles. You see plenty of old VWs, Audis, BMWs, and Mercedes still on the road today. Really, the only thing that puts German cars below Japanese cars on my list is the expense. German cars are generally on the expensive side to both purchase and maintain. You may get what you pay for, but you certainly DO pay for it! German cars may provide some of the greatest luxury availible, but at a significant price.

3. USA: I'm not much of a Domestic fan at all... I feel that the US manufacturers have abandoned the car crowd to cater to the truck crowd... and I'm NOT a truck person! The US companies seem to be trying to break into the sport compact arena, and they are doing a good job of it. With cars such as Dodge's SRT-4, Chevy's Cobalt SS, and Ford's... well, let's face it, even the best Focus sucks ass! The American luxury offerings are extensive, and decent while new. However, the market value of 5-year-old Cadillacs and Lincolns goes to show how well they hold up over the years. American cars offer a decent selection, but I feel they are still behind compared to Japanese and German standards. Many American cars are overpriced as well, considering this.

Korea: Well... Hyundai Hyundai owns Kia, and Daewoo is no longer availible in the US... so Hyundai. I'm actually a big fan of Hyundai. To me, Hyundai is what Honda was 10-15 years ago. Their cars are reliable, affordable, and diverse. The Tiburon is a little pathetic as their only sporty offering, but still decent. The new XG350 looks as sleek as any European luxury sedan. With a V6 engine making a little under 200hp, it's not a beast... Still, for the price it's a decent offering. I think Hyundai has a lot of promise. Kia doesn't do much for me, but I think they'll make a nice low end once Hyundai becomes a more expensive and refined brand. http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/soon/azera.asp The Hyundai Azera is set to be competition for REAL luxury cars!

Sweden: Basically, I have the same opinion of Swedish cars as I do German cars. My only beef with Swedish cars is that there really are no low-end cars! You just can't buy a cheapie Swedish car! They pretty much begin with mid-level and work up. That's why they're so low on the list.

France: Prejudices aside, French cars don't do much for me. Mainly because we can't get anything good here! France makes some decent cars, and in the European tuner market French cars are revered. Peugeot and Renault make some great cars, but we don't see them here. Therefore, I can't very well put them too high on the list!

Italy: I know some of the worlds finest cars come from Italy... Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc... However, the Italian lower end (like Fiat's Punto) is pretty pathetic. Plus, we only see the uber-expensive high end here in the US! I have respect for the high end cars, though the styling is usually a little pretentious, and the prices are astronomical.

England/UK: England makes crap cars. Nuff said. Anyone can hand build a Rolls Royce for $400,000. To make one last without lots of expensive repairs should be a part of that insane price! Jaguar is one of the only worthwhile Brittish brands, and the lower models are just technically just rebadged Fords. The Brittish high end isn't worth the price, with a reputation for reliability that makes American cars look immortal. The low end cars are usually nothing but poorly pieced together shells over other imported parts (Sterling, low end Jag, etc...) The UK gets placed at the bottom of my heap!

So that's my breakdown. I'm not asking everyone to do that (that there took me a half hour to write! ) but adding more than a simple list or, "I like Hondas!" will make for much more interesting and informative reading!
    Last edited by deevergote; 07-27-2005, 09:39 PM.

I feel that japan makes the best cars. I mean, they are assembled really well, the parts they use are quality, and most of all there reliable.

USA probaly makes the worse.....I'll never buy a domestic car with over 100,000 miles. There's not too many out there running like our great lil imports do at 150,000. I feel that USA makes stuff too cheap, and you'll pay for it in the end <just my .02> US cars just won't last!

Midwest car club

Current rides:
    91 accord lx (5spd)
    92 accord lx (5spd)
    93 accord lx (auto )

Comment

my list would be...

1. Japan
      2. Germany
      3. France
      4. USA
      5. Italy

i based this list on reliability and price factor.. obviously japan's first with so many cars that are under 20k and last forever.. the reason why i put france #3 is because my dad has a 1987 Peugeot 505 STX, and with 200k miles, it still hauls ass and the other day on RT46, i saw a brand new imported Peugeot 407... it was just amazingly beautiful. i was reading up on it online, and it rivals most luxury sedans... (well, the executive model) and it has vents pointing in the glovebox to keep your drinks cold.... i want A/C in my glovebox now.. lol... i put USA #4 because well, they're not as reliable, but some cars are pretty decent.. and Italy 5 because well, exotics are really expensive.. and i've only seen 1 alfa romeo and a FIAT.. and boy, although old models, were very nicely kept

Comment

Japan all the way.....damn Deev, you really broke it down. You should look into being a writer for some type of Mag. man.

Comment

1.japan
          2.germany
          i really like passats... woot 300 posts!

Comment

i had asked a friend of mine who frequent Japan some few years back.. to ask this same question to a japanese guy.. and the answer was "a usdm japanese car"

Comment

Originally posted by jeesare
              Japan all the way.....damn Deev, you really broke it down. You should look into being a writer for some type of Mag. man.
              Thanks man! I've actually considered it... I HATE writing, but I seem to have a knack for it, kinda. Writing properly irritates the hell out of me, but stuff like this is a blast. I guess I could write for Super Street or something, where proper writing means absolutely nothing! As long as I can make good use of phrases such as "tapping the tapioca tube"

Comment

Originally posted by brownaznkid
                i based this list on reliability and price factor
                2. Germany
                uh..
                To-Do List for Today
                Be Awesome

Comment

when considering cars of quality its hard to think of anything besides japanese made when you also have to think about overall price and maintenance.

for me its

1: tie between japan/italy
                  2: germany
                  3: france
                  4: UK
                  5: USA

Comment

My List: (all from experience)

1. Japanese (We've had mostly Japanese cars in the family, never ever had a problem with any of them)

2. Korea (for the price, they are very good cars, we've had our Sorento for a year and never had a problem, only the smelly ac )

3. USA (USA would be my second choice, but Ford kinda screws it up... Fords are extremely problem prone. Did you know the oil filter is located on the bottom front end of the block!?!? Fucking stupid. But Cheverolet completely does more than enough to compensate for fords domestic fuck ups. Chevys are awesome. And Dodge... Better than ford?)

4. Italian (Boss has a classic ferarri, and he said its never had a problem, so I'm going to go by him )

5. Sweedish (The only way i can justify this is because we used to have a 1988 Volvo 240 DL, it had little power, but it got us where we wanted to be with no problems.

6. Mexico (Just had to throw this in, Chevy builds a majority of their models there. chevy builds the fiat, C2, Astra, Corsa, and Zafira...) Aunti in TJ has the C2 Sedean, and its really reminicent(sp?) if the Civic. not the styling but the feel, it feels inexpensive, but durable and sturdy.

7. French - They make cars?

8. UK - Crap (why spend so much on a crappy car..? Buy a house!!)
                    Last edited by lil_dcb7; 07-28-2005, 04:26 AM.

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
                    Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
                    NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

Okay, here goes my feelings on the whole list thing:

Japan: They probably make some of the most trouble free cars. They are definitely like perfect appliances for the road. However, I feel that with some of the cars they are lacking soul. I don't mean this in a negative way, but the basic Japanese car is rather bland, but excellent at what they do. The late 90's Acuras are perfect examples of this. However, Japanese cars are amazing for what they are, completely trouble free, excellent layouts, ridiculously efficient. The high end sports cars push the limits of what can be done in low displacement cars, however their Japanese pedigree keeps them out of the running for true supercar status. A Japanese car is the perfect car for someone who wants an efficient driving machine that treats them well.

2. Germany: German engineering cannot be beat in my book. While the Japanese may have mastered the trouble free car, the Germans have mastered the luxury sports car market. You can't think sport sedan without thinking BMW and Audi. The German sports market has soul that will rival anything on the road. While their cars may not be the fastest cars on the market, they would be my choice for rapid transportation. I've had much experience with Audi and can say that they're in a different league of car compared to Honda. Even the Jetta feels remarkably different than the Civic, and they're in the same market. The German car feels like more car, if not maybe feeling heavier. The Porsche to me has always been the true enthusiast sports car. They have always maintained the traditional look and have been remarkably reliable compared to a Ferrari or Lamborghini, but most likely not as reliable as a comparable Japanese car. As Mike said, the only drawback with a German car is the cost. They're not cheap, but they're not in the same league with a Japanese car. Even tho the Lexus might be a better car than the Benz it was based off of, the Benz still has that aura of being the Benz that the Japanese haven't managed to figure out.

USA: The USA car market, with the exception of a few Chrysler models is in shambles in my opinion. Since 1972 when emissions killed the muscle car, the USA has struggled to produce a decent passenger sedan. The high end cars such as the Corvette/Viper/Mustang has done fine because its the only car in its target audience really. The US has also done very well in the truck market, but that's because we're one of the prime users of such vehicles. However, most of the Big Three only build for the bottom line, a car good enough to break even, but that's it. You can't compare a small car from any of the big three to a Japanese car.

Korea: I don't know enough to have an opinion

Sweeden: Quirky cars, definitely on the same level as the German cars as far as fit and finish. I find its more for people who don't want to drive BMW/Audi mainly. Saab was one of the first companies to turbocharge their cars. Volvo has succeeded through a good chunk of time making cars that were well made and very safe, if not very boxy. I have a soft spot for the 850R myself.

France: I never really knew much about French cars, mainly since we don't get many and the ones we did get didn't have a strong enough network to support them and keep them on the road.

Italy: Italy doesn't do much for me automotively. They build cars that go really fast for a little time, and then take lots of time effort and money to keep on the road and maintain. However, I do think that Italian cars are some of the prettiest cars ever produced. Italian cars are museum pieces to me, something that should be looked at and that's it.

Britian: British cars. Oh boy. British cars are made for crazy British people with tweed caps and bad teeth. They're quite quirky and probably not the best cars out there. When I think about British cars, I think small open cars. I know they're not reliable at all, but when you buy one of thoes you buy it for the whole aura that the car will give you.

Comment

Originally posted by mxcx
                        uh..

i'm not talking about the benz or bimmers, i was thinkin vw mostly

Comment

how can you put korea ahead of italy deev???

Comment

Originally posted by flacopower
                            how can you put korea ahead of italy deev???

Tiburon = 20K

Ferarri = $???,000

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Comment

hey deev, do you know how much that azera is going to go for? It can be much because its marked HYUNDAI, and they dont have too big of a luxury rep, and it cant be too cheap because

1. its their new "flagship"
                              2. Same class as the 7 series bmw...

have you heard anything on the price??

Comment

Working...
                              X