Ford plant bans competitor vehicles on employee parking lot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aero

But now that the "big 3"(which arent so big anymore) are realizing more losses each year, maybe they will figure out that people have options, and arent forced between 3 brands of crap anymore.
    I doubt they'll ever learn. They should have learned back in the 70's with the gas shortages.

Comment

Originally posted by 97Lude
      seems a lil drastic

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/27/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - Employees at Ford's Dearborn Truck Plant in Dearborn, Mich., will have to drive Ford Motor Co. vehicles to work or park across the street, the plant manager announced earlier this week.

The new parking policy, which is scheduled to take effect Feb. 1, was instituted by plant manager Rob Webber just as Ford reported losses of $1.6 billion from its North American auto operations in 2005 and Monday announced plans to close 14 plants and cut 30,000 jobs as it tries to reverse losses and respond to declining U.S. market share.
      It says they can't park across the street. I'm assuming it's a public street and anyone can park there if they wanted. They have no jurisdiction there.

Comment

Originally posted by phreakish93
        a few months back Chrysler did the same thing. if you didnt drive a Daimler-Chrysler vehicle you had to park in the back of the lot, and that wasnt just at one plant, it was at all of them.
        The tow truck drivers of the city that had to tow the vehicles refused to tow the vehicles after a few days as they were having to tow dozens of cars a day and they were looking like the bad guys.
        Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
        2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
        2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
        2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

I think it's a fine idea. I think they should have security there and big signs that say "Ford Motor Company vehicles only".

It's justified. Nothing beyond having an Employee of the month parking spot.. just now it's a Ford parking lot.

Comment

Originally posted by i97supratti
            It says they can't park across the street.
            Not what it says.
            2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
            Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
            1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

The Dearborn Truck Plant, which represents one portion of the Rouge facility, has 2,600 union employees and makes the F-150 pickup truck, the best selling vehicle in the United States.
              Ford f-150, the best selling vehicle in the US? That's what they want you to believe....

"There has to be something put in place to grab people's attention and to make a statement that this is a serious thing," said Sullivan, whose union represents approximately 8,000 workers at the larger Rouge complex. "It's up to us to stand up and do what is right and to drive a vehicle from the company you work for."
              Basically saying, "we expect you to buy ford, or walk to work"....That's descriminating(sp?)!

But one plant employee, who did not want to be quoted, told the paper he wasn't happy he would no longer be able to drive his Chrysler to the factory.

"They can't tell you how to spend your money," said one veteran tradesman. "It's still a free country." He said he got a better deal on his Chrysler than he could on a Ford.

"I got to go where I can get the most bang for my buck," he said.
              Damn right! Who does Ford think thier employees are? Mind numbed robots?

Another Dearborn Truck employee told the newspaper he approved the move, though.

"You buy what you build," said Rufus McWilliams. "That only makes sense."
              Ignorent redneck who works for a greedy company who wonders why they suck.

Caleb

PS: Don't buy ford, they suck!
              Last edited by Clueless; 01-28-2006, 03:24 PM.
              My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Its not a new practice, it has been around. Toyota does it and Nissan. Most motor giants do that not because they hate other car giants its just its bad image if you as Toyota have employees driving Ford and chevy Cars around when your company manufactures Toyota cars. Its basically a marketing scheme and publicity stunt to show.
                "form follows function."
                Louis Sullivan

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
                  Not what it says.
                  Stand corrected. Read it too quick. I'm sure the imports that do park across the street will be subject to being key'd or kicked in.

Comment

Originally posted by Chan_Man
                    Its not a new practice, it has been around. Toyota does it and Nissan. Most motor giants do that not because they hate other car giants its just its bad image if you as Toyota have employees driving Ford and chevy Cars around when your company manufactures Toyota cars. Its basically a marketing scheme and publicity stunt to show.
                    But regaurdless....ford expects them to buy either all fords or park thier current car across the street and face possible vandalism. It's full of crap and you know it....

Comment

No worse than working at a huge factory and having to park 2 buildings down where there isn't any security...

They made the decision to work there..... they can make the decision to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by 92HondaEX
                        Basically saying, "we expect you to buy ford, or walk to work"....That's descriminating(sp?)
                        Only if you need to dumb it down.

It's their property, they can choose who parks there.

Where did you find "Walk to work"?
                        Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.

Comment

They parked across the street, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Body LX
                            No worse than working at a huge factory and having to park 2 buildings down where there isn't any security...

They made the decision to work there..... they can make the decision to leave.
                            and quitting looks bad on your resume and from yout refference.....

Comment

Originally posted by 92HondaEX
                              They parked across the street, no?
                              Yep.
                              Parked their cars across the street....so they drove.
                              Thanks for playing.

Comment

That's disrepect in my eyes, but I guess I'm the only one who sees that....guess we are entitled to our own opinions, eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X