Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember that how to import a car thread deev started?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remember that how to import a car thread deev started?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_..._United_States

Taken from the link above:

"Many Skylines were subsequently imported through Motorex. This lasted until late 2005, when the NHTSA became informed that not all 1990 through 1999 Skyline models would perform identically in crash testing. Motorex had submitted information for only the R33, and told the NHTSA that it was sufficient for all R32, R33, and R34 models. According the further review by the NHTSA, only 1996-1998 R33 models have been demonstrated as capable of being modified to meet the federal motor vehicle safety standards. After that, only these 1996-1998 models are eligible for importation. In March of 2006, Motorex ceased all imports and Motorex principal Hiroaki "Hiro" Nanahoshi was arrested and held on $1 million bail on financial, kidnapping, and assault charges.[17][18]

Nanahoshi and Hiroki Miyake are co-defendants in case no. TA08356, filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court. Both Nanahoshi and Miyake have been held to answer for charges of attempted kidnapping, assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury, assault with a stun gun, and threatening a witness. In addition, Nanahoshi is facing civil lawsuits from GT-R and would-be GT-R owners and jail time over unrelated charges not associated with Motorex. Motorex is reportedly an empty space with a lone wrecked GT-R shell on site."

O_O' Holy Cow

I knew motorex ceased their importation services, i had no idea that they were completely GONE

kidnapping... assault? WTF this is rush hour movie shit...

discuss.

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
    Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
    NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Wow, I hadn't heard the additional charges either. I knew the guys in charge were facing jail time, and that the company was done...

I've also heard a rumor that anyone with a Motorex-imported GT-R may be facing an impound... I'm hoping that won't go for R33s (the GTS-T, specifically, was the model they crashed, I believe) I know the R33 is the least popular (the reason why they crashed it... not as much demand/profit to be had). I don't care though. When I get a Skyline, it'll probably remain stock, or at least mostly stock. I want it to last forever!

Comment

My only gripe is, since we can't get them over here anymore thru Motorex where else can we get them?

Our Canadian friends on these boards one of which owns a Skyline sedan , are able to obtain these cars freely as they come as long as they're over 15 years old.

Now my question is HOW would we be able to import a Skyline thats legal in Canada into the US which it's NOT legal.

I'd love to own a 4 door Skyline here, I like the coupe as well it's just too bad we can only own them in limited numbers.

Henry R
      Koni/Neuspeed
      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
      1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
      made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Now...what's the statute on bringing a Canadian car to the US?

For example, could one legally register an Acura EL in America? If that's the case, and the car was previously registered in Canada, could it be registered in the US as a Canadian car?

I'm sure if that's the case, we'd all have Skylines already, but I'm just curious.

Comment

There are major issues with importing from Canada. Same as if you were taking a car off a boat, driving it over the border would be just as difficult. I checked into that as well!

Not to mention the fact that the car would still have to meet US regulations before you could register it. I'm sure you couldn't push such a high-profile car though inspection as you can a CB7.

When a car comes from another country, at least one that isn't already recognized to be identical in terms of safety and emissions, it must go straight into the hands of a registered importer. That registered importer takes on the responsibility of modifying the car to meet US safety and emissions specs (which is why we need crash test data showing where a car is deficient... and we don't have that on anything but the R33). The RI takes on the financial responsibility of 250% of the car's worth, or something like that... which means they could probably be fined that much if they fail to bring the car up to spec... and the new owner STILL can't drive it.

Sadly, I think I'll have to wait the 20 or 25 years necessary for those cars to be exempt... if they don't change the rules first!

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
            Now...what's the statute on bringing a Canadian car to the US?

For example, could one legally register an Acura EL in America? If that's the case, and the car was previously registered in Canada, could it be registered in the US as a Canadian car?

I'm sure if that's the case, we'd all have Skylines already, but I'm just curious.
            You don't know how badly Id like an EL, I saw a newer one around here about a couple months ago (I think Sept.) and the guy looked like he had just moved here because he still had Ontario plates.

I'm willing to bet its just as easy to import an older Accord to the States from Canada since its basically the same car underneath all that sheetmetal.

Although it would be interesting to see a carbed 2.0 CB3 here as well.
            Henry R
            Koni/Neuspeed
            1992 Accord LX R.I.P
            1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
            Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
            made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

well see, heres the thing

the Acura EL is debatable... is it the Honda Civic over here?

if thats the case, the EL has US DOT approved counterpart. the civic.

it very well may be eligible to face importation into the US. I forget under what circumstance, I WANT to say under some kind of 'grandfather clause' but i think i would be wrong.

now the Nissan Skyline. has NO US DOT approved counterpart. which gives them NO absolute chance for being imported.

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
              Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
              NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

Exactly. A CB could be imported with some modification. A Galant VR4 could be imported (I want to do that ). A Silvia MIGHT be able to be imported (we don't have the sr20det in this country, so a ka24de swap might be needed... but you can always swap back!)

Skylines, without US counterparts, have no crash data. They don't have any US counterparts to the RB engines, so there are no guidelines as to what changes are needed for emissions compliance. Until someone has the cash and desire to provide this info properly, we're SOL.

I wonder... if the Motorex cars are going to be impounded without crash data, would it be feasible for two owners (R34 and R32) to have their cars wrecked, and get paid off by those who are able to retain their cars? If I had a Skyline that would be impounded and squished, I'd wreck it for say, $10,000 from 10 other Skyline owners! I'd just go buy another one!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                  Exactly. A CB could be imported with some modification. A Galant VR4 could be imported (I want to do that ). A Silvia MIGHT be able to be imported (we don't have the sr20det in this country, so a ka24de swap might be needed... but you can always swap back!)

Skylines, without US counterparts, have no crash data. They don't have any US counterparts to the RB engines, so there are no guidelines as to what changes are needed for emissions compliance. Until someone has the cash and desire to provide this info properly, we're SOL.

I wonder... if the Motorex cars are going to be impounded without crash data, would it be feasible for two owners (R34 and R32) to have their cars wrecked, and get paid off by those who are able to retain their cars? If I had a Skyline that would be impounded and squished, I'd wreck it for say, $10,000 from 10 other Skyline owners! I'd just go buy another one!
                  well, if i would be able to get a skyline R34 (which this is my dream car ) and it was the first skyline i had ever bought and got it impounded, i wouldnt let them crush it for nothing in this world, because by the time they would impounded i might already feel sentimental value towards it (like i have with my cb7 ) and i would not let them crush it, i would probably tell them that i could ship it back to japan or something
                  lisa is long gone, but sophie is here!

i got a good feeling about this one

im going to have to
                  |_..._...____________======||_|_|__--]
                  "(@)'(@)''''''''''''''''''''''''*|(@)(@)*****" (@)
                  check out my mr thread
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=106541

Comment

Originally posted by 90exaccord
                    well, if i would be able to get a skyline R34 (which this is my dream car ) and it was the first skyline i had ever bought and got it impounded, i wouldnt let them crush it for nothing in this world, because by the time they would impounded i might already feel sentimental value towards it (like i have with my cb7 ) and i would not let them crush it, i would probably tell them that i could ship it back to japan or something

ummm what?

Comment

The only thing i could make out in the entire paragraph was this...
                      " i would probably tell them that i could ship it back to japan or something"
                      ^^^And even then, it'd still be cut up and scrapped. a car carrys a short life in japan.
                      -RIP Eric Hall. Miss you brother-
                      newskoolhippy (10:53:37 PM): i want to see a pic of you with a hard-on to prove thats your cock
                      newskoolhippy (10:53:56 PM): i need to see your face in the pic
                      newskoolhippy (10:54:07 PM): with todays paper in the picture to prove your taking it now

Comment

would it be possible to import an r32 or an r34 just for race, not road legality? the r33 is my personal favorite, but im just wondeing

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

It IS possible to import a car for race purposes only, but you have to prove that is the sole reason.

Comment

Working...
                          X