This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote
    Because the company provides the service. That delivery charge is NOT a built-in tip, as many seem to think.

Delivery is a product of the company, just as their pizza is. It is a service they provide, and they profit from it.

Waiters don't usually get to keep 100% of their tips either... 3-5% of their sales often goes to "tipshare" to pay the hosts, bussers, bartenders, etc... So a $10 tip on a $50 check (20%... a good tip) is really only $8.50-$7.50 in that waiter's pocket.
    You are correct Deev.

The company does not have to provide the delivery. They do, and the delivery service costs money. In order to provide delivery the company must pay one or more people per hour to take food to people.

My Dad owns/operates a small "quick" service restaurant with mainly all american food/sandwiches. I work there. A good chunk of our business is take out/phone in orders. People are constantly asking us to do delivery. We do not simply because of the cost involved. That cost has to be taken out somewhere, either in the profit of the company or at the expense of the customer, most logical business owners will pass it on to the customer since THE CUSTOMERS are the ones incurring the extra cost to the company.

It is like this, people sometimes complain that we use primarily styrofoam packaging products. We could buy paper, but they cost a lot more. We simply tell people when they criticize us that in order to get paper in here the cost of that cheeseburger would have to go up $1, or that coke $0.50. They usually shutup. Reason McDonald's has paper is because they have a lot more buying power.
    Gary A.K.A. Carter
    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by verothacamaro
      why does the company keep most of the delivery charge?
      ...dont know
      MY YOUTUBE Channel Plz Sub for the Support thanks

^^^ Click for the Link ^^^

Comment

Originally posted by yeamans17
        I need to clarify, my boss was walking in the door and down my aisle. The dropout comment was meant that if you are so desperate for money then you need to get your ass back in school and get a real job. A pizza delivery job would be ok for a high schooler or a college student, but if you are depending on you pizza delivery job for your income, then don't bitch when I don't tip you, get the fuck back in school and get a real job like the rest of us
        I'm about to get a delivery job because my "real" job isn't cutting it. I've been to school. I'm working to get back to school so I can get a better job (a BA in psychology doesn't do much for you... life kinda went to shit before I could get to grad school)

Should I be ok with that, because it's not a "real" job? Any job is a "real" job. If someone is working, it's a job. Get over yourself if you look down on people for doing such a job... that guy just brought your lazy ass a pizza.

For someone that IS a loser with no direction in life, I agree with you... but judging someone's position in life by their job is pretty ignorant, IMO.

Sadly, if I do get back into delivery, I know there will be people just like you seeing this 28 year old man bringing them pizza... not tipping... and saying "go get an education and get a real job, you loser!" I have 2 college degrees. I'm more educated than many people I'd be delivering to. I'm currently self-employed, and until now, I was making considerably more than most people I'd be delivering to (while working no more than 3 days a week ). Shit happens. I don't think I'm a loser for finding a job that'll pay my bills while I get back on my feet...

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
          You are correct Deev.

The company does not have to provide the delivery. They do, and the delivery service costs money. In order to provide delivery the company must pay one or more people per hour to take food to people.

My Dad owns/operates a small "quick" service restaurant with mainly all american food/sandwiches. I work there. A good chunk of our business is take out/phone in orders. People are constantly asking us to do delivery. We do not simply because of the cost involved. That cost has to be taken out somewhere, either in the profit of the company or at the expense of the customer, most logical business owners will pass it on to the customer since THE CUSTOMERS are the ones incurring the extra cost to the company.

It is like this, people sometimes complain that we use primarily styrofoam packaging products. We could buy paper, but they cost a lot more. We simply tell people when they criticize us that in order to get paper in here the cost of that cheeseburger would have to go up $1, or that coke $0.50. They usually shutup. Reason McDonald's has paper is because they have a lot more buying power.
          Exactly. Business exists to make money. If you kept the prices the same, delivered, and used paper... you'd make no profit. God forbid your delivery driver gets into an accident and someone sues the business... you'd need to have insurance for that, which would be an additional cost.

Comment

I'm not saying its not a real job, but its not a job that you should depend on to pay your bills and make your entire living off of
            You do what you have to do. If you have to deliver pizzas to pay your bills then do it. Just don't make a career out of it.
            Gary A.K.A. Carter
            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

A smart thing to do would be to work full-time and then delivery pizzas (or similar job) during the weekends for extra cash. Take that cash and invest it, you'd be a millionaire in no time!

Of course you'd have no life, but you'd be rich as shit when you retire!

Sean-Dinner.com

Comment

The moral of the story is don't be a jerk.

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB
                  The moral of the story is don't be a jerk.
                  LOL yeah, pretty much. That's for both sides of the situation.

Sean-Dinner.com

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc
                    Whether or not i, or anybody, believes in tipping, the bottom line is; You knew going into the job that tips would be a factor. If you dont like the idea of getting stiffed or even "under-tipped" then perhaps a career change is in order. IMO, delievery driver jobs should be left to ppl who can live w/o the tips, just in case.

Its not a smart financial move in the first place to rely on tips to get you by..
                    "crap! i only made $37 tonight..looks like the kegger will have to wait til next week.."

Not a smart move. I believe in tipping, and tipping well, if its deserved. i fouled up 2 times and now all of a sudden im somewhere between a cockroach and that white, foamy stuff that accumulates at the corners of your mouth when you get really thirsty....?
                    Well you did stiff the guy the first time....and then a second time. So I don't blame him. Was he in the wrong? Not entirely. Was his actions acceptable? Nope. And about relying on tips, you really have to be a delivery driver to see what it really is like. From his standpoint you are just another cheap customer who stiffs the delivery driver.

I have tons of delivery stories, one of them involves an elderly lady that gave me exact change, she knew she should tip but didn't have the money for it so she gave me candy. It may not be money but it was good candy. It was the thought that count.

Originally posted by drucifer92
                    Where I worked we got 1.50$ for every delivery which covered gas. Tips always worked out anyways...
                    Say you go to ~15 houses per night with no tip. You would be making $22.50 dollars a night. Thats money in the bank right there.

Originally posted by Dinner_Time
                    The tip doesn't change accordingly to how nice I am, it's predetermed.

First of all, we can't read fucking minds, and we have no computer system at all, we have a phone, we write your order down using pen and paper and would ask for your address if you wanted it delivered...
                    Tips are sometimes predetermined. I am of one race, and all the delivery drivers are of another. They get more tips than me, same house, same delivery time, same person giving the tip. Its messed up but I don't expect much from the town I work in.

I couldn't agree anymore on the mind reading. I've gone through my fair share of having the customers expect me to remember their meal, their address, their name, and how they want the meal specifically packaged. It makes my job that much harder. Not cool.

Originally posted by The G-Man
                    My Dad owns/operates a small "quick" service restaurant with mainly all american food/sandwiches. I work there. A good chunk of our business is take out/phone in orders. People are constantly asking us to do delivery.
                    Delivery service mainly depend on the demographic of the business location. In the bigger cities, its not really necessary to have delivery service since it has easier access. We tried having no delivery service when we opened our restaurant, we later added it and it accounted for 1/3 our business.

Moral of the story, when ordering Papa John to remember to tip Deev or you will have special sauce on your food on top of a forum ban.

Comment

I need to clarify, my boss was walking in the door and down my aisle. The dropout comment was meant that if you are so desperate for money then you need to get your ass back in school and get a real job. A pizza delivery job would be ok for a high schooler or a college student, but if you are depending on you pizza delivery job for your income, then don't bitch when I don't tip you, get the fuck back in school and get a real job like the rest of us
                      If he was going to graduate school getting a PhD in astrophysics, and needed cash and was delivering pizza, you'd still view him as a "loser drop out".
                      2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
                      Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
                      1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

So if he doesn't need the job to survive, he should be ok with not getting a tip? He should be ok with working basically for free?

If he IS doing the job to survive, he should simply get a better job, right?

I don't get it. Personally, I respect anyone that takes pride in their job. I respect anyone that does their job well. If you wash dishes in a dive bar, good for you.

I've got plenty of friends that, for one reason or another... school, health, kids, other family obligations... can't get a "better" job, and are forced to bust their butts in a low level position. There's nothing wrong with that. I would certainly never judge someone by what they're doing, especially if I don't know their story. If you're in a situation where you have every opportunity to better your situation and choose not to, THEN you're a loser... still, working at all proves that someone at least has some sense of responsibility.

Comment

They DO get paid to deliver pizza's.

The tip is just extra. It's something that the consumer is not FORCED to pay, but does anyways out of kindness. If you can't always do it, there should be no crying, since, it is again, not REQUIRED. Now, if they said, "Pick up or delivery?" and you say "Delivery" and they say, "Ok, there is a required $xx.xx delivery fee, do you accept?" then yeah, you should always pay it. If you didn't, it would be like not paying full price for the service.

But since a tip isn't REQUIRED, I don't think it was grounds for him to be rude, not to mention driving recklessly in your neighborhood.
                          "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
                          "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
                          Disregard females, acquire currency
                          BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

Originally posted by turbomaxx
                            They DO get paid to deliver pizza's.

The tip is just extra. It's something that the consumer is not FORCED to pay, but does anyways out of kindness. If you can't always do it, there should be no crying, since, it is again, not REQUIRED. Now, if they said, "Pick up or delivery?" and you say "Delivery" and they say, "Ok, there is a required $xx.xx delivery fee, do you accept?" then yeah, you should always pay it. If you didn't, it would be like not paying full price for the service.

But since a tip isn't REQUIRED, I don't think it was grounds for him to be rude, not to mention driving recklessly in your neighborhood.
                            Did you read the rest of the thread? Delivery drivers get paid below minimum wage, BECAUSE TIPS ARE EXPECTED. The delivery charge does not go to the driver, at least not in full, if at all. The delivery charge goes to the shop.

Essentially, if you don't tip, you're not paying for the service.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
                              Did you read the rest of the thread? Delivery drivers get paid below minimum wage, BECAUSE TIPS ARE EXPECTED. The delivery charge does not go to the driver, at least not in full, if at all. The delivery charge goes to the shop.

Essentially, if you don't tip, you're not paying for the service.

Yes sir, I read the thread.

But it just seems to me that untill the tip is made MANDITORY, there can be no complaining. I know, it's a loop-hole, it's a lame thing to do (meaning it would be lame to not pay the tip), it's MORALLY wrong IMO, but none of that changes that the tip is not manditory (sp?)

Do you see what I'm saying? I hate it just as much as everyone else, but that doesn't change the facts.
                              "This truck is 100% sh*ts and giggles."
                              "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson

You're not JDM until you have a car built in ohio with tons of bolt ons from ebay.
                              Disregard females, acquire currency
                              BUS 62 AIN'T F'ING AROUND!

Comment

Yeah, that's true. As I said earlier in this thread... the tip is expected, but is not to be expected. It's... annoying.

Tipped employees are paid with the expectation of tips. The government allows employers to pay them less than minimum because they get tips... so really, tips ARE mandatory... It really makes no sense, and it's difficult to argue your logic, because that does make MORE sense...

But until tips become mandatory, it should be understood within our culture that you DO tip such people (and people should be aware of what a good tip is... 15-20% for table service, $3-$5 for delivery, $1 per drink for a bartender... haircuts, cabs, moving men, etc... I honestly don't know the standard... but before I require such a service, I will find out!)

Tips SHOULD reflect the quality of the service, that I totally agree with. However, a tip should always be given for proper service. When I was a waiter, I never saw a paycheck with money on it. All my paychecks said VOID. The tips were ALL I ever got.

Comment

Working...
                                X