Finished overhaul on an airplane engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished overhaul on an airplane engine

After a few months, my partner and I finally finished the overhaul we started on an airplane engine. We're training to become AandP mechanics at the helena college of technology and we just finished our course on reciprocating engines.

Anyway, the engine. This beast is a Teledyne Continental O-470-R(type R ). It's a horizontally opposed 6 cylinder air cooled engine from a cessna 182 skylane. Under the supervision of our instructor we performed a major overhaul and replaced a whole bunch of stuff including pistons, seals, bearings, pins, bushings, and a whole bunch more stuff I don't feel like typing. We also gave it a nice Krylon paintjob too, it looks good except for the bright orange which is required to indicate that it has chromed cylinder walls.

Here are some pictures of it, i'll post a couple more when we get it back on the owners aircraft.

Before

After

A nice side view. Funny story about that bottle of simple green on my toolbox, the FAA was inspecting our shop and they wrote us up for having that in the shop, apparently it's not allowed because it can damage aluminum, dang FAA guys will nail you for anything they can so be careful if you ever work in a hanger.

The thing holds 12 quarts of oil

The engine has 470 cubic inches of displacement, but only creates 230 HP with a top speed of 2,600 rpm's. But then again it is pretty light, a lot of it is aluminum. They're not as powerful for their size as our car engines, but they're actually easier to work on usually.

I would've liked to paint TYPE R on it somewhere but the aircraft owner wouldn't like that I don't think. I did however paint a small optimus prime head on the back of the engine somewhere and on the oil cap, hopefully there aint some FAA rule against transformers. We repainted the oil cap though, we decided that one optimus prime was probably enough.

Anyway, we're gonna put this beast on the airplane tuesday we hope and then we'll test it and get it broken in. I won't be able to ride in it yet though, my broken arm is still healing up and I'd rather not risk it. I'll post some pics and a video link of the engine in action. See you guys later, peace.

DAN
    Last edited by Scubasteve_dan; 02-16-2008, 04:42 AM. Reason: Forgot a picture

H22 Fund Cancelled. Flight training underway.

nice. optimus prime ftmfw!

Comment

Wow.....

One of the most important things about an airplane engine is torque.....especially those with propellers.

that thing must sound cool!
      14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

They are like diesels. They don't make a lot of power because they don't rev very high. Since HP is calculated by torque x revs, and they don't rev high, they don't make much power. That is one reason diesels are really ideal for airplanes.

Interestingly, the limitation on most aircraft is the diameter of the prop, not necessarily the capabilities of the engine. A larger prop must turn slower because you do not want the tips going supersonic.

And yes, these engines do sound pretty cool, if they are setup with dual exhaust. They still sound decent with single exhaust (like in a regular 182), but they sound a lot cooler with dual exhaust like in a 182RG.
        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

cool man.... I always liked the sound of the old WWII prop planes!
          My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Engine runs!

After a few weeks of not doing much, my friend and I got the engine installed on the plane. It took us a little while to get it started, we had to prime it a bunch while we were cranking and then it fired up, the plane lurched forward a couple of feet because we weren't pushing the brakes enough and we had our throttle set too high. We'll chock the wheels next time we run it up.

So it finally runs, after working on it bit by bit for months it finally works again, and once we finish the breakin our instructor will take it for a test flight and then we'll get to go up in it and hopefully get a flight lesson. Here's a link to the vid, it sounds pretty cool, or at least it would if my camera was better. I can't wait to go flying in it!

Student overhauled engine comes to life

Comment

how long is ur a&p course?
              mine is 2 years and im in my second semester
              we dont do recips till next year which is kinda dumb cuz we get to overhaul an allison 250 turbo shaft engine outta the bell jet ranger
              the allison makes 420shp (u kno.. that engine in the y2k bike)

Comment

2 year program

I go to the Helena College of Technology and the Aviation Maintenance program there is 2 years. It's unfortunate really, i picked the wrong time to go there. Last year was my teachers last year teaching because she was moving to colorado and thus she was busy with other things(like moving stuff) and so we didn't quite get the best training during second semester. And this year is the other instructors last year of teaching and thus he isnt incredibly motivated either, he's been doing it for a while and he's really stressed out about other things.

So unfortunately us students aren't quit getting as thorough of training as we should be. But we have a basic understanding of aviation general knowledge, airframe, and powerplant knowledge so I think we'll be fine once we get to the field and start working with other A and P's.

Sorry about the long response, I've been kinda irritated about school and needed to vent. This week will be good though, we got our engine going and we'll find out why our tach aint working then we'll finish the run up and maybe go flying! What's your school like? Have you learned how to do composite repair? That stuff is awesome, I'm making a set of fiberglass floats for my r/c plane. Later

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteve_dan
                  I go to the Helena College of Technology and the Aviation Maintenance program there is 2 years. It's unfortunate really, i picked the wrong time to go there. Last year was my teachers last year teaching because she was moving to colorado and thus she was busy with other things(like moving stuff) and so we didn't quite get the best training during second semester. And this year is the other instructors last year of teaching and thus he isnt incredibly motivated either, he's been doing it for a while and he's really stressed out about other things.

So unfortunately us students aren't quit getting as thorough of training as we should be. But we have a basic understanding of aviation general knowledge, airframe, and powerplant knowledge so I think we'll be fine once we get to the field and start working with other A and P's.

Sorry about the long response, I've been kinda irritated about school and needed to vent. This week will be good though, we got our engine going and we'll find out why our tach aint working then we'll finish the run up and maybe go flying! What's your school like? Have you learned how to do composite repair? That stuff is awesome, I'm making a set of fiberglass floats for my r/c plane. Later
                  i dont think mechanics should work on instruments like the tach or any other... but i could be wrong im not good at the FAR stuff
                  school is good except that now its winter all work has to be done in the hanger but where doin an annual on a little cessna 150 and theres alot to get done. we just got done with the NDI on the flap tracks for cracks or excessive wear

we dont do composites till next year. i plan on makin a custom front lip for my cd5

Comment

Where do you plan on working upon getting your a/p? I work for Midcoast Aviation and they're always lookin' for guys fresh out of school...

Don't have my A/P, just an Aviation Maint. Tech right now. We're an FBO and MRO for Bombardier. Here at the downtown STL facility we primarily do green completions on Challenger 605's, 850's, and Global Expresses. By far the coolest job I've ever had....
                    i roll my wagon slo, f22b style...

Comment

Nice work
                      Hmmm slap on a couple of diesel turbo's and watch it make some real torque

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
                        Nice work
                        Hmmm slap on a couple of diesel turbo's and watch it make some real torque
                        then build a small car around that engine...

looks like alot of fun

Comment

Originally posted by slowagon
                          Where do you plan on working upon getting your a/p? I work for Midcoast Aviation and they're always lookin' for guys fresh out of school...

Don't have my A/P, just an Aviation Maint. Tech right now. We're an FBO and MRO for Bombardier. Here at the downtown STL facility we primarily do green completions on Challenger 605's, 850's, and Global Expresses. By far the coolest job I've ever had....
                          whats the pay rate there... i would move there

Comment

cool man whats the deal with painting that part orange...

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                            "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                            "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                              cool man whats the deal with painting that part orange...
                              its a FAA thing...
                              they are specific on everything

Comment

Working...
                              X