New PC takes multiple tries to power on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New PC takes multiple tries to power on

I'm a IT Pro, but I wanted some more opinions on this one.

PC is custom built and less than 6 month old. The specs don't really matter just the usual system (750W PS, Quad Core Intel, 8GB DDR3 RAM, ATX Case). The PC has started developing the symptom of not turning on the first time you push the power button. Its progressively gotten worse to where now it takes 3min+ of trying the power button before it will power on.

Things I've tried:
    - Took case apart, inspected power button and wires; they were good
    - Checked motherboard connector/pin, was good
    - Checked all voltages being outputted, they were good (+12, +5)
    - Tried a different wall outlet, and power cord

When the system is on, it works fine. I think I may have seen this in the past long long ago, and it was a bad PS. In the end it eventually just doesn't turn on.

Anyone have any input?

When I hit my power button, my computer turns on for a few seconds, turns off, then turns on and gets going.
    It was somewhat bothersome at first, but it's done it since the day I put it together.
    There's nothing actually wrong, and it works just fine.

That's what I get for buying an open box motherboard I guess

I have a 2700k i7, do you have something similar?
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Does it power on when you just jump the pins for the power button? Other wise i'd probably just replace the power supply.

Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by mercyboy
      I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

Ignition switch
        http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Sounds like you are on the right track. My first guess would have been faulty power button/wiring, then loose connection at the board, and finally power supply.

There are of course other possibilities if it isn't the power supply. Other problems could be the memory isn't reading properly preventing the cpu from getting proper start up voltage, the motherboard could be bad, or if by some chance your motherboard is refurbished or open box special you may need to reset your bios.

Hope you get it worked out. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ander View Post
            Does it power on when you just jump the pins for the power button? Other wise i'd probably just replace the power supply.
            Yep, this is what I would try as well. Just short the pins with a jumper of some sort (paper clip, alligator clips, pin jumper, whatever) and see if it works as expected. You don't need to keep it shorted, in fact you shouldn't; just do it momentarily and remove the jumper.

Another easy way to test: if your case has a reset switch, try connecting that one up instead and see if it works as expected.

If nothing above helps, I would troubleshoot the PSU first, then the motherboard next.

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
              Yep, this is what I would try as well. Just short the pins with a jumper of some sort (paper clip, alligator clips, pin jumper, whatever) and see if it works as expected. You don't need to keep it shorted, in fact you shouldn't; just do it momentarily and remove the jumper.

Another easy way to test: if your case has a reset switch, try connecting that one up instead and see if it works as expected.

If nothing above helps, I would troubleshoot the PSU first, then the motherboard next.
              good idea using the reset button! And I never tried jumping the power pins, I may try that also. But if these fail, I think I"m going to go with the PS replacement.

Comment

FYI - the PC is..

Logisys CS206BK Black ATX Tower Case 4X5.25 1X3.5 5X3.5IN w/ 400W 80mm Rear Fan Front USB Audio

ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24X SATA DVD Writer OEM Black

Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbps 3.5in Internal Hard Drive

Gigabyte B75M-D3H mATX LGA1155 B75 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI HDMI CrossFireX SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

Intel Core i3 3220 Dual Core Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Ivy Bridge 3MB

Comment

You said you inspected the Power button, how through was this inspection? Did you take it apart? Have you tried a different power button? It could be a poor connection in the power button.

||91 Accord EX|| All of my images are hosted courtesy of imageShack.com
                  Door-Sensor fix (DIY)||Interfacing Arduino to Power locks
                  RICE = Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.
                  "The greatest advantage of speaking the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said." - unknown
                  "That's the funny thing about parts that break... they're never broken until they are!" -deevergote

Comment

Originally posted by Kamatari+ View Post
                    You said you inspected the Power button, how through was this inspection? Did you take it apart? Have you tried a different power button? It could be a poor connection in the power button.
                    This seems to be the simplest approach.
                    The power button isn't really associated with any software, is it? It's just a simple on/off switch (at least when the computer is off, anyway.) That simplifies things. it's not a software-related issue. Simply an electrical issue. That means you have 3 possible options: the switch, the wires, and the power supply.

If you're an IT pro, I assume you have plenty of spare parts sitting around (I'm not a pro, and I have at least half a dozen computers floating around my house!) I'd try another switch, and if the result is the same, look to the power supply. I've seen screwy power supplies cause all sorts of weird symptoms in the past!

Comment

Originally posted by Kamatari+ View Post
                      Took front bezel off and took power switch apart, inspected wires connections and pin.
                      But as mentioned prior I'm going to use the reset button as the power button and see if I get the same results. <- Great idea which I never thought of doing.

Comment

Working...
                      X