Your opinions on these stereos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your opinions on these stereos

I'm looking at replacing the stock stereo in my GFs car, and I'd like to have these features:

Absolutely:
    Blue Tooth
    Android controllable (Via the Blue Tooth)
    Removable face (vs flip down)

Nice to have:
    CD capability
    Front and rear USB
    iPod connectivity (All the ones listed have it)
    Steering Wheel controls wired in

I'm not looking to hook up an subs.
    I have an older Pioneer, and I like it a lot. But to hook up my phone, I do a audio cord to the front. I have my iPod hooked to the back for all my old songs, and my phone and Google play for anything new I want. Whatever I buy for her will be a trial run for replacing mine later in the year. I know the ability exists to get in the car and have any music you were listening to be wirelessly transferred to the speakers, as well as calls. That's ideally what I'd like to have.

I went to my local stereo shop, and the guy recommended 3 different models. He had the Sony one in his car, and brought out his tablet to show me that it does work as I want. He didn't know for sure about the Pioneer's. The compare chart on their website makes it seem like they don't. It looks like they only offer connectivity on Android to play Pandora, and iPhones get the functionality I want. However, if I flip back over to the Sony, it lacks a front USB port. While not super necessary, I'd like to have it for charging phones on long trips.

The product comparison chart for the Pioneers
    (That seems like a Java based link, so I don't know if it'll work)
    The Sony model

The cheaper Pioneer

The better Pioneer

I spend very little time in the stereo/audio field, so I wanted to ask here hoping to get the opinion of someone who does this all the time.
    I also think these might be older models, but that's just a feeling.

Also: I was very happy when I took pictures of the model numbers, went home, and realized they're almost $100 less online.

SUPER BIG IMPORTANT EDIT: It's a 00 Accord, with Steering wheel controls. Is there a functionality that allows me to wire them in, or do all after-market stereos automatically lose them?
    Last edited by GeoffM; 11-23-2013, 11:40 AM.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

A little more research into this and it seems that the functionality I want is just coming to this years Pioneer models. They're not even on Amazon yet. I might wait a few months for price drops and bug to be worked out. This article was rather informative.

http://www.ecoustics.com/products/pi...ad-units-2014/
    MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Sony car audio is a brand i will not install. Pioneer is a brand I do not recommend, over the years I have taken back more pioneers from unhappy customers than any other brand.
      Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
        Sony car audio is a brand i will not install. Pioneer is a brand I do not recommend, over the years I have taken back more pioneers from unhappy customers than any other brand.
        What is your recommendation then?
        MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Kenwood excelon kdc-x996, I think 997 is the 2013 model and 998 will be next year's.

But from your list it can do what you want, there's a app in the Google play store, front and back USB, flip down to accept cd's and removable, bluetooth and Ipod connectivity... I'm not sure about steering wheel controls, I don't know much about wiring.
          MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
          1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

Comment

I am quite happy with my pioneer unit. But it is not one you have listed.
            It does what I need it do really well and the bluetooth works better than I expected. Prob better than the factory unit in the wifes kia and the bosses lexus.

steve

Comment

I have this
              http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/DEH-X6500BT

Does everything you need.

I make calls, I can play pandora(or any apps radio wirelessly) as well as music on my phone.

Has front USB, detachable face.

Etc.

No rear USB, but not sure if that's a deal breaker. Wasn't for me.

I have no complaints.

Comment

from my experience, SONY (and JVC) is complete garbage and is not something I will ever purchase again.

PANASONIC units have been amazing in terms of how they were setup, and lasted longer than any I have ever come across - its a shame they stopped making aftermarket decks

personally I have heard good things about Pioneer decks, but I dont have any long term experience with them.
                Last edited by cp[mike]; 11-23-2013, 06:28 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                  from my experience, SONY (and JVC) is complete garbage and is not something I will ever purchase again.

PANASONIC units have been amazing in terms of how they were setup, and lasted longer than any I have ever come across - its a shame they stopped making aftermarket decks

personally I have heard good things about Pioneer decks, but I dont have any long term experience with them.
                  JVC bought out Kenwood quality got a boost there.
                  MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
                  1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

Comment

Never tried Panasonic, but Pioneer is top quality.

I had a 6700 back in my cb days and now a 6500BT and the quality is solid. Not a single issue with either so far.

And my wife has a DD pioneer with dvd and nav/rear camera option. It's a dual zone system so I can add a/v in the rear and not have to listen to the kids bs lol.

So far, almost 2 years and it's rock solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                      I have this
                      http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...rs/DEH-X6500BT

Does everything you need.

I make calls, I can play pandora(or any apps radio wirelessly) as well as music on my phone.

Has front USB, detachable face.

Etc.

No rear USB, but not sure if that's a deal breaker. Wasn't for me.

I have no complaints.
                      The specifications on their website say iPhone. Do you use an Android with it?
                      MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Jvc is now made by kenwood. I like the new jvc bt radios. The only down side is that the Bluetooth pill takes one of the USB ports. I also like kenwoods, can't go wrong there.

As for the steering wheel controls. The radio will say if it supports it or not, then it's just a PAC swc....and wire it in

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffM View Post
                          The specifications on their website say iPhone. Do you use an Android with it?
                          Yes I do. You know I don't care for iphones.

I haven't gotten carried away, but I have used the Xm app, pandora, and streamed music stored on my SD card without a problem.

Not sure what else you're looking to do with it.

Oh and Google maps will also work through BT as far as audio.

Comment

I'd recommend Pioneer or Alpine.

I have experienced both and they both are quality brands.

my 1990 DD came with a Pioneer deck most likely installed in the mid to late 90s, model number escapes me, but its been trouble free on my long 60 mile drives to work. It doesn't have any fancy features but does have quite a lot of tunability and the bass hits pretty hard even with shitty aftermarket speakers the previous owner installed. I usually listen to Pandora with an AUX cord connected through my phone for at least 3 hrs a day in traffic/commute.

My Alpine is a CDA-9883 in my coupe. Bought it I think back in Oct 2008, again, its a trouble free deck. Has iPod connectivity and controllability through the faceplate. I connected an iPod fullspeed cable to the back of it and leave the iPod in my glovebox.

member's ride thread
                            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                            91 Accord SE 176k
                            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

my cb all the way to my bb6 had all pioneer units until i switched over to kenwood. i went with a kenwood excelon 8120. by far the best deck i ever had.

which im also selling by the way. lol.

blue tooth
                              double din touch screen
                              usb
                              ipod
                              navi

everything!
                              Last edited by GHOST 2.2; 11-24-2013, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X