Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

honda, toyota caught lying about horsepower

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins...A01-283759.htm

I believe the early 90's Mustangs were overrated by 20 hp at one point.

All of the 1960's advertised power numbers were not even close to being right. That's when they used SAE gross power though, but some cars were underrated by as much as 70-80 hp, while some were overrated.

In Japan there's a gentleman's agreement limiting power to 276 hp, but they claim a few cars have broken it.

Comment

Horsepower ratings
      Vehicle 2005 2006
      Acura MDX 265 253
      Acura RL 300 290
      Acura RSX 160 155
      Chevrolet Corvette LS7 500 505
      Cadillac XLR 440 469
      Ford Explorer* 210 210
      Honda Civic 200 197
      Lexus LS430 290 278
      Pontiac G6 200 201
      Toyota Corolla 130 126
      Scion xB 108 103

There is a 200 HP Civic? Damn where do I sign up? And why does it say Asian's Lie about HP? There seams to be Cadillac and Chevy here also. Even though their numbers are 'under' rated the title is still misleading because it makes the reader assume that the article is solely about Imports.
      MEH!

- Zipcreature
      Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

The new Civic SI is supposed to have 200 hp. With these new standards I guess its at 197, which doesnt have the same impact as "200".

Comment

I could care less about the 3 or 4 hp I personally would still take a honda just for the driving experience it gives. Of course numbers are rounded 200 sounds better than 197. Is it going to make a big difference in buying opinions I highly doubt it.

Comment

The new SAE tests require that every accessory (including air conditioning now) be turned on during the test. No big deal in my eyes.
            To-Do List for Today
            Be Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by zipcreature
              And why does it say Asian's Lie about HP? There seams to be Cadillac and Chevy here also. Even though their numbers are 'under' rated the title is still misleading because it makes the reader assume that the article is solely about Imports.
              MEH!

- Zipcreature
              You're damn skippy....

"The news is better for General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. Some models such as the Chevrolet Corvette and the Ford Fusion sedan are faring better under the new testing procedures, which could give them a much-needed edge in the marketplace"

I dont care, i would take an import over a domestic anyday...

Comment

they are just finding ways to bash us minorities...they might as well just say that we lie about horsepower because we squint.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

they are just finding ways to bash us minorities...they might as well just say that we lie about horsepower because we squint.
                  That's one way of looking at it. I wonder if the SAE takes "donations" from GM.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                  where you been, is something wrong?
                  i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
                    I believe the early 90's Mustangs were overrated by 20 hp at one point.

All of the 1960's advertised power numbers were not even close to being right. That's when they used SAE gross power though, but some cars were underrated by as much as 70-80 hp, while some were overrated.

In Japan there's a gentleman's agreement limiting power to 276 hp, but they claim a few cars have broken it.

You read my frickin mind! I foget which year it was, but like the 98 was the last year they did the Cobra Mustang, skipped a year, then restart in 2000. Apparently the underrating of the HP was so severe that Ford was ordered to recall every single Cobra.

Rumor has it that the new Mustang Cobra has an accurate HP rating*.

*This is keeping in mind that they are reporting their horsepower not to the wheels, not even to the flywheel, but rather GROSS HP. Gross HP hasn't been used in terms since the 50's or 60's.
                    Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
                    D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
                    ┴─┴
                    ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

You're probably thinking of the 99 Cobras. The 03/04's were apparently underrated "just incase" because of this. http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2005/svtcobraslow99.php

Comment

Don't get me wrong, this is the SAE.. and if it's true then it is.. but here's my opinion:

Apparently in the article Ford said that they would tweak things a little before they would test their current models, could there be a reason behind this? Honestly I bet that Honda nor Toyota are a bit worried about the new standards because go drive down the street.. what matters to you right now, horsepower or gas prices? Don't get me wrong.. a lot of domestic cars are beginning to get good gas mileage. Explorer? Nah don't hope for it. It was said in the article that both European and Japanese automakers would recieve more of a negative effect than Domestic. If the new standards require all accessories to be on, how could turning the A/C on improve the horsepower on cars? If I recall horsepower is calculated on the amount of torque and we all know what I'm saying by that. HOWEVER.. on the otherside of things the domestic automakers really have been conservative with their horsepower ratings.. say the SRT-4. Big question is.. did they know? What do you guys think?

http://www.FLAccords.com

Comment

Honda/Toyota haven't lied about anything. They change in measurement procedures, results directly in a change of output rating. Every manufacturere will lose the same relative amount of HP if they switch to then new testing procedures without "re-tweeking" anything. Honda and Toyota both willingly switched to the new procedure and retested their cars. They didn't reprogram anything.

If the domestics were to do the same thing today, they would suffer the same outcome on about 1/2 or more of their cars, just like Honda and Toyota.

Don't forget that there are actually quite a few Honda Engines that are underrated too. The S2000, and Accord I4 and V6 come to mind.
                          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                            Don't forget that there are actually quite a few Honda Engines that are underrated too. The S2000, and Accord I4 and V6 come to mind.
                            Smart man, Smart man. Yes they are. If you ever see the WHP on those engines there is like a 10% drivetrain lost...which is pretty unusual.

Comment

Working...
                            X