Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rational independent thinking and automotive enthusiasts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rational independent thinking and automotive enthusiasts?

I've just been doing a lot of thinking lately about cars, the people that drive and work on them, and well.... intelligence. I recently ended up with a 95 eagle talon tsi and have been doing a lot of reading about crank walk and oil pumps and weak points with the car. And as great as dsmtuners is. It is incredibly frustrating to be on that site for too long. I feel like logical rational thought has outright died there. Basically I'll use three examples starting with crank walk to describe what I'm getting at.

Crank walk is a mysterious ailment that afflicts the 7 bolt 4G63 engine in the late 1g and all 2g dsmtuners vehicles. Some say that it doesn't occur in the revised thrust bearing that was used late in 97 and newer dsms. This phenomenon is a wearing of the thrust bearing on flywheel side of the thrust bearing only. This excessive wear allows the crank to move in it's journals so much that the crank position sensor eventually comes into contact with the ring it's sensing off of and will kill the engine. Many theorized this problem is cause by oil squirter getting stuck open and allowing oil pressure to leave the main bearings and get out of the squirter instead, some believe it's the main girdle not being properly aligned and that leaves the thrust bearings out of line essentially placing heavier loads on one half of the thrust bearing. Some think it's poor machining or metal quality from the factory. I'm not here to discuss my thoughts on the subject. Only the lack of rational thought. So far the only sure fire fool proof way to make sure you don't get crankwalk is to swap in a 6 bolt 4G63 out of a 1g dsm. This to me is absolutely bat shit crazy. Because people have gone so far as eliminating the oil squirters, adding a set of dowel pins to ensure that the main girdle cannot move and stays aligned, and had all the measurements blue printed on their crank, thrust surface, bearings and block, and still experienced this failure. Still more people blame heavy spring pressure clutches, but many people with bone stock vehicles have experienced crankwalk. So logic would indicate that these are not the real issues. And still the solution remains to get rid of your 7 bolt engine entirely.
    And then people who find they do have excessive crank end play think just shoving in a new set of bearings will fix the problem. And traditionally, this is not generally proper procedure for any engine when excessive bearing play is discovered.

My talon needs an oil pump and not wanting to spend $285 on an oem mitsubishi pump for a car I bought for $500, I looked for alternatives and found ACL and Melling both make aftermarket pumps. Coming from a mostly Chrysler background I was stoked because both
    pumps were less than half the cost of the oem mitsubishi pump. I again turned to dsmtuners to see if anyone had experience with either one. Apparently ACL race bearings are the bearings to have on your DSM but the oil pump was regarded as garbage and most stories were of the "I know a guy who knew a guy who used one and it blew up in 5 miles" variety. "Don't waste your time with aftermarket" "only oem mitsu." These are the responses to most questions about parts. But ebay 16g and 20g turbos are okay with this crowd.

I'm going to buy a Melling pump... they're good enough for 1000hp v8's.

Then I was curious knowing that h22s usually get solid timing belt tensioners put in, if this was a worthwhile mod on a 4g63. Most people are horribly confused on this saying that it would be dumb because you'd have to adjust it like 10 times between every oil change. I saw a glimmer of hope with one post saying that Honda B series don't have a tensioner and they are fine. But the same person said later that they have a spring that tensions them. These hydraulic tensioner have been known to be a potential source of problems and cost $100-120 for a manual or hydraulic tensioner. To my knowledge modern timing belts don't stretch much and have chords in them like a tire. Our f22s don't have a tensioner and our timing belt service interval is 60k miles! So why would they bash hondas and say that the tensioner is a shiney waste of money unless your dsm is a race car when there are other makes and models that do it regularly and have no issues?!

I understand wanting to err on the side of caution and use oem parts when possible and stuff but internal combustion engines are hardly a new concept. They aren't magic. This crankwalk problem is either a well guarded secret, or has just never been investigated by someone with the proper skills and knowledge. The oil pump I feel should be fine I use Melling pumps in all my small block mopars with no problems, and no one on that forum has ever mentioned priming their oiling system using any other method besides cranking with a fuse pulled (which is not the best method but usually works out). And I'm still on the fence about the tensioner. I'm going to do some more research on the topic and will make a decision based on the results.

I feel like rational thought and reasoning have gone out the window in a lot of automotive circles. The DSM guys aren't the only ones, just the easiest example I could think of. I guess it just bothers me when hear-say and uneducated assumptions dominate anytime a legitimate technical question is brought up. And DSMtuners is riddled with these sorts of people and it's unfortunate. I am stoked to have a turbo awd 5 speed car. But I hate knowing the "best" resource on the Web for them is so closed minded, illogical, and I'm basically never going to post because I'd be eaten alive at the first mention of owning a Honda. Not that that doesn't happen most places. I hate that owning a Honda makes you "that Honda guy" in the mind of whoever it is you're talking to usually.

Anyway, hopefully this wasn't completely incoherent and maybe others can relate to this. And remember kids! Misinformation is the same as knowledge and wisdom if you know a guy who blew his stuff up, you tell others to buy only oem parts, and you tell people that their behavior is somehow unsafe.
    Last edited by DunKrS; 12-17-2013, 06:39 AM.

This should be in other automotive. I know this has nothing to do with your question but that's because I don't know the answer. Is it an auto or manual? I ask because my brother in law is a dsm guy and one of his cars is a talon tsi auto on its third tranny since I met him. It has traveled maybe 500 miles in 5 years. I will see him this Saturday and reference your questions though someone on here likely knows a little something.

Does this crank walk occur on motors in stock form or is it when you up the HP levels?
    Does the dsm hydraulic tensioner have problems?( That part of your post is hard for me to read) and obviously I don't know. Again does this occur on motors in stock form or heavily modified motors?
    My dad read an article about how k motors need to have the timing chain tensioner replaced with a stronger unit and started freakin out because he just bought a new crv. I researched for about an hour and found that it can be a weak point after about 300 hp. I had to explain to him unless he is going turbo it would not be a good investment.
    Are you planning on staying close to stock or heavily modding?
    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Just to throw this in there, I will have to say that I am also a member of a Focus forum and they dismiss anything that I say as maybe being a benefit to their known issues. I have taken what I know from Honda forums and used many of the fixes on my domestic cars with great success. I stopped listening to the narrow minded years ago! What you are talking about is what happens to a forum when the more intellectual car enthusiasts start leaving due to trolls and children who think that they know better.

The Focus forum I am a member of is actually run by a tuner who's only real goal is to make everyone think that his tuning solution is the only way to go. It is very expensive for a canned tune, specially compared to what we have for tuning. I brought up a couple cheaper avenues people could use and he shot every single one of them down. Not one of the members said a thing! Baaahhhh Baaaaahhhhh they have all had their fleece pulled over their eyes!

I have found the Honda community a much more open minded bunch who like to share there findings. I had a really hard time getting some real parts specs from the Little car Ford guys.

/rant

As far as your DSM goes..... stay away....lol

Crank walk is simply put.... Crank end play. And usually the solution to excessive end play in a crank is to instal a new or thicker thrush bearing/plate. However, it seems as though there is more to it than that with the DSM. I'm not familiar with their issues so I'll have to stop there.

As far as the timing belt manual vs hydraulic tension goes. The F22A and F22B both use a manual tension system. Exactly the same H23 MT system that used to be the go to for the H22 guys actually. Both the B16 and B18 use a manual tension timing belt system as well. I'm not sure where you are getting your information on that one. I'm pretty sure that most any time a belt is used for timing a tensioner usually follows.

Anywho, if you can find a manual tension system that fits on your DSM use it! It is a much better piece of kit and does not require 10 adjustments per oil change.... you set it and forget it until the next timing belt change....
      Last edited by GhostAccord; 12-17-2013, 09:12 AM.
      MR Thread
      GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I'll leave this in OT, as the topic is more the lack of rational thought and the avid spread of misinformation, not so much the technical problems with the DSM.

If you look a few posts down, you'll see my rant about wondering if the CB7tuner scene is worthwhile anymore. This is largely due to the Facebook page associated (unwillingly) with this site, and all the absolute nonsense that spreads like wildfire on there. That's easily worse than the DSMtuner idiots! Idiots say one thing, and it gets repeated over and over again.
        I learned today that Koni Yellows are about the same as Tokico HPs. I also learned that automatic JDM H22As only make 180hp. Yesterday, I learned that Bilstein makes the dampers for Function & Form Autolife (F&F to all the kiddies that don't actually know the company's name.)
        All this is absolute nonsense, of course... but said with confidence, and I won't be surprised when I see it repeated in a week or so!

Anyway, as far as the DSM goes... OEM is obviously never a bad choice, but there are plenty of quality aftermarket brands out there. Do keep in mind that a company that can make a fantastic product for domestic V8s might make crap for a Japanese I4. Of course, it doesn't sound like you're going to get any firsthand reports of quality from the DSM crowd, so you can only use your own judgment. At least YOU put thought into it, and you're not just buying the cheapest knockoff pump you can find. Cheaper isn't bad, as long as you know you're getting quality.

Also, I did some reading on crankwalk, and this site here seems to offer some much better explanations than the ones you've read on DSMtuners. I'm not an expert on the matter, so I really can't claim that one is any better than the other... but that page/company seems to know what they're talking about.

Comment

I like threads like these, although I do not have an answer for your problem.
          Back in the day before my first cb7, I searched for months for a car. The decision was between a green cb7 and a 92 talon. I went with the cb7.

Good luck with your DSM, sorry I cannot help.

Comment

I'd still love to have a Galant VR4 (essentially a CB7 with the engine and driveline of a DSM )

DSMs do have their share of issues. Given the fact that DSMs have been "problematic" tuner cars for well over a decade, the current generation of DSMtuners are likely the owners of hacked up beater cars with halfassed mods.
            DSMs are often one of three things... abused beaters, major works in progress, or works of art (thanks to the extensive amount of care put into them by their owners.)

Comment

I would do more research and not rely on the forum responses when it comes to anything, really. Especially when it comes to the oil pump, which can make or literately break your engine.

As far as ebay turbos are concerned, usually guys use them on cheap budget builds that have stock or close to stock engines, in a budget weekend toy car. Or cheapwads that want POWAH! lol. If you had any sense, you won't spend thousands of dollars building an engine and then slap a $200 Chinabay racing turbo on it. Risk is too high of that turbo grenading and ruining your engine with tiny metal bits.
              1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

This was definitely not intended to be a thread asking for technical help with my dsm. Deev and Ghostaccord are on point as usual.

Deev, the Facebook page is scary. I hate seeing the posts about "g22/g23" swaps being bulletproof and how many cousins' uncle's brother's cars run amazing on 8psi on a g23 or g22. It's nonsense. I'm about to unlike the nw automotive car and parts page too for this reason. The DSM Facebook page is a hopeless mess of people arguing about stanced dsm not being worthy of being called dsms and that they should be called del sols. Or if an eclipse or talon with a 420a is a dsm or not. The Vr4's are so cool, seeing one in person is a rare treat. Especially with the badge that denotes which one of 2500 or 5000 that specific car is. I'm taking a leap of faith with the oil pump but not wanting to invest tons of money in a motor which was supposedly rebuilt less than 2000 miles ago but not having good ran in over 9 years I feel it's my best option. An oil pressure gauge will be used though.

And ghost that sounds like a nightmare of a forum. Almost like a...cult or something lol

And I'm well aware that the b series uses a manual tensioner, the guy on dam tuners said that the spring on the tensioner pulley is responsible for the tension which is not true at all! I just can't understand how f22's use a stock timing belt that is like $50 successfully up to 600+hp and manual tensioning and these dsm guys have both a manual tensioning and hydraulic tensioning systems and need Kevlar belts that cost $130 just for the belt. I trust my Hondas manual tensioner and I don't see a problem with trusting an aftermarket manual tensioner for a dsm for 60k miles either. I know they don't require adjustment and I couldn't believe they'd think you'd have to adjust it that frequently. Their arguments against manual tensioning just further proves my point about lack of rational independent thinking.

Comment

I stay away from Facebook automotive pages.... I have a hard enough time restraining myself from some of the simple repetitive threads on forums... Until I see that obvious troll or member throwing around complete misinformation.... that is when I will finally step in and say something.
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                  X