Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Engine degreaser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine degreaser

whats a good engine degreaser and what parts of the engine should you cover?

Purple Power, Everything thats electical

Comment

Originally posted by H22A91CB7 View Post
      Everything thats electical
      not necessarily you can spray it on and just let it sit for however long the degreaser says and then spray it down with LOW pressure water. and wash off the degreaser.

well that's how i do it. i don't really cover anything.

after i wash it down i start the engine and let it sit for awhile. dry off.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
      1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
      1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
      2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

I use that engine gunk at auto zone , all I cover is my filter, altanator, dizzy, and battery usually with a bag

-1992 CB7 EX w/H22 [sold 10/09]
        -2005 Legacy GT limited [current]

Comment

i like simple green. it's strong, but not too harsh. later.
          Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
            i like simple green. it's strong, but not too harsh. later.
            do you just spray it on everywhere or spray it on a towel and wipe or what? i've used it on the back of wheels but never on an engine before

FS: OEM Fuel Filter, ES Tie Rod Boots, Chrome Bulbs

Comment

well, i wet the motor, then spray it on and let it sit for a second. after that, i use various sized brushes and towels to scrub and wipe. then i rinse. just don't let degreasers dry on things because alot of times it will stain aluminum. later.
              Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

I didnt do this on my car yet but on my brothers car we just put simple green in a spray bottle. We sprayed it on everything and anything under the hood let it sit for a few minutes to loosen up the dirt it was sprayed off with a simple hose, it looked great after wards considering its a 16 year old car.

Comment

I have heard that people can use wd40 to remove some gunk and it is safe to spray on everything including electrical stuff. I have not tried it, but i will as soon as I have some money to buy some bottles of wd40 and some rags

Originally posted by visualpoet
                  some owners think it's the best thing since titties

Comment

I use this cut 4-1

for some reason, regular simple green discolored my old powder coated valve cover...and I didn't let it dry on it either.

Also, you have to be really careful what you spray it on...but the best degreaser I've ever used is actually brake parts cleaner. It just melts off thick grease.
                    Last edited by mndude07; 07-28-2009, 07:17 PM.
                    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by typeg
                      i Like Simple Green. It's Strong, But Not Too Harsh. Later.
                      x2.......

...........AE86-GTS: SOLD.................................................. ........CB7-DX: SOLD

Comment

after letting the engine get warm (NOT HOT) take plastic grocery bags, cover the alternator, distributor, fuse box, air filter. light spray down the engine and underside of hood with water. Spray on Simple Green in full strength. Let sit a few mins. Spray off entire engine with a relitively hard stream from the hose. Remove bags, turn on car, let run till most of the engine is dry. You can use a towel to get pooling water areas. you can also you the simple green and a towel on any places still ditry.
                        Use Meguiers Vinyl and rubber dressing when done for a shiney look.

Comment

There are multiple threads about this. I NEVER cover anything. NEVER. THe worst thing that could happen is you could get a little water in your dizzy cap, all you have to do to fix it is pop it off and dry it out with a dry rag. EVERYTHING under the hood of your car is designed to be safe if it gets wet. Imagine how wet it gets when you blast through a big puddle. For heavy grease and old build up, I like Gunk brand engine degreaser. warm the engine, (warmed, not drove it for an hour hot) cover the entire engine compartment with it, let it soak in and then spray it away. I prefer to use high pressure spray versus a plain garden hose. Be careful when you're around the dizzy with it (or have a rag and screwdriver handy), but I've been using high pressure on my engine bays for over 20 years with no problems. Once it's clean, it's easy to keep it clean regularly if you don't have any oil leaks.

Comment

I never cover anything up do it with the engine off so your intake wont take any water...and of all the electricals getting wet the only problem ive ran into is water getting into the spark plug socket...but that was a different car our motors plug wires cover the whole on the top so...
                            93 ex sedan
                            automatic

Comment

Simple Green makes an industrial strength formula in an aerosol can that is the best I have ever used. Lightly wet an area, spray with simple green, rinse off. Scrub it after spraying with simple green if it's really caked on. Awesome stuff! Walmart used to carry it but I now have to order it, nobody around SC carries it anymore.
                              My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Working...
                              X