Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

No Sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sound

I did a search, & not sure if this relates to some other issues I've read...

Bought a 91 LX, had an aftermarket head unit, everything worked. A month later, sound just stopped coming out of all the speakers.

I had to fix the wiring to the speakers, & yesterday redid all the connections to the harness (they were just twisted then blacked taped over). Everything worked great after that, adj the settings, shut the car on & off, no issues.

This morning, I went out for PT, again no sound coming out of the speakers like before. I had a few minutes so I checked the harness again, & neither fuse is blown. I'm stumped.

If all of the speakers stopped working at once then chances are the problem is at head unit connection. You might have a short in the head unit shutting down output to the speakers.
    1) Is the head unit on but no sound out of the speakers?
    2) Have the head unit out of the dash, turn it on, if no sound, wiggle the connections.
    3) Is the head unit connect to an aftermarket wire harness in turn connects to the OEM Honda plug?
    4) Take the ground wire from the head unit and ground it directly to the chassis.
    5) If you have another head unit, maybe hook that one up to see if sound comes out to all speakers then you can conclude that the head unit is bad.
    6) Important, is the head unit wire to an amp whether it's after market or factory amp? If it is then check also the amp's function.

See if these suggestions would help. Most importantly, make sure the head unit is on functioning well but just no sound out of the speakers.

Comment

I tried two separate head units, both did the same. It's an aftermarket harness that plugs into the Honda harness. Have had both units out wiggling wires with no luck. With no sound at all from any speaker. No amps, just speakers that were replaced & head unit.

After pt, wife was taking me to work & for shots & giggles I tried again, now it works. I'll have to ask her if it worked throughout the day when I get home later this afternoon.

I can check the ground, & see if that does anything the next time it goes out.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyRdR83 View Post
        I tried two separate head units, both did the same. It's an aftermarket harness that plugs into the Honda harness. Have had both units out wiggling wires with no luck. With no sound at all from any speaker. No amps, just speakers that were replaced & head unit.

After pt, wife was taking me to work & for shots & giggles I tried again, now it works. I'll have to ask her if it worked throughout the day when I get home later this afternoon.

I can check the ground, & see if that does anything the next time it goes out.
        The chance of all 4 speakers not working is rare. I would check power and ground. Go right to the plug. Check for dirt and rust there. Does the head unit has power when the speakers don't work? There's the key to solving it.

Comment

Yes, there's power to the head unit, it lights up, I can switch to Tuner or to Aux, it never loses power.

Comment

If you already try another head unit and still the same problem then I would look at the connectors, either the male OEM connector is faulty to cause the speakers to all short out or the after market harness. I would pull the negative to the battery, clean the connectors real good and see if any stray little wires are touching or broken. Now if this does not solve the problem, then start checking each speaker in the door and the rear deck. Pull them all and plug in one by one. One short speaker rarely cause all speakers short but not impossible.

Good luck.

Comment

Turn the radio on and turn it all the way up. If it looses sound, you have a short at the speaker or a bad voice coil in one of the speakers. To check them unhook all of them and hook them up one by one. If you find one bad, then check the speaker and connection at the speakers

Comment

After messing around with it today finally, turned out to be one of the speaker wires came loose on the front door. Everything works right now, I'm hoping that was it, I should've tried duplicating the problem now that I think about it. I'll try when I replace the speakers.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Jeebus 90% of the problems in the audio section are from people being lazy with wiring ... all ways solder never crimp or twist and tape, also use 2 coats of liquid tape to seal it and make it permanent... Also NEVER let best buy install your radio they use wire nuts and charge you a fortune FFS SMDH...

Comment

ive been working for my current company (7 stores) for 6 years and worked for another for 5 years before that.....whats that? 11 years....yep, believe so....everyone of these stores use crimp caps and i have yet to have a crimp cap fail....not once .....11 years, 8 shops total, at abot an average of 5 radios daily....6 days a week.....52 weeks a year.....not one failure from a crimp cap

ps: op, i was stationed at riley. i was 1/5 fa. there for 2 years (93/94) and lived in manhattan after that until 2001
                    SHARPIE ACCORD HERE....
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192457

Comment

So your saying someone can't crimp it wrong and that crimping is superior to soldering?

Sure ....

I'll just let you be then...

Just saying that as an engineer I measure twice and cut once... I would cut out all crimps and solder if I had them, it is my personal preference to trust a solder connection over a pressure joint. I have worked on military electrical wiring in my engineering career and they would never allow crimps. Crimps in the engineering world are a point of failure, unless you like diagnosing stuff you eliminate the points of failure.

Also who's to say their crimps didn't fail and they didn't return to you because your crimp failed... Just saying, how would you know?

To each their own.
                      Last edited by wildBill83; 08-04-2012, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                        So your saying someone can't crimp it wrong and that crimping is superior to soldering?

Sure ....

I'll just let you be then...

Just saying that as an engineer I measure twice and cut once... I would cut out all crimps and solder if I had them, it is my personal preference to trust a solder connection over a pressure joint. I have worked on military electrical wiring in my engineering career and they would never allow crimps. Crimps in the engineering world are a point of failure, unless you like diagnosing stuff you eliminate the points of failure.

Also who's to say their crimps didn't fail and they didn't return to you because your crimp failed... Just saying, how would you know?

To each their own.
                        All the auto makers are going to crimping because the failure rate is higher on solder then crimp. There was a long artical about this in the mobile installers magazine about a year back

Comment

Originally posted by Soufkackicustom View Post
                          All the auto makers are going to crimping because the failure rate is higher on solder then crimp. There was a long artical about this in the mobile installers magazine about a year back
                          On automated factory created harnesses, yes... because a machine cannot solder the same as a human especially since they took lead away from most solder as rosin core is close but not as good. But hand soldering always trumps hand crimping, this is why you will not see a single hand crimped wire in a military vehicle. I have worked for both Bose Corp (might have heard of them before) and Omnetics (the guys who make plugs and wire harnesses for tanks and jets) and I can tell you there is no pressure points in anything they do.

Not saying your fibbing about the article, but got a link, I would like to read it. I'm looking at things from the engineering side and not the installer side and this should be noted.
                          Last edited by wildBill83; 08-05-2012, 01:09 AM.

Comment

I see what yors saying, but you also just said what I did. Automakers use almost no solder. And a crimping tool is a crimping tool, we're talking what 14-18ga wire, so you go plenty of hand force to do it right. I used to solder all my big ga power wire, now I have a hydrolic crimper I use for those. It's easier and safer. Nothing like having a torch in the trunk of a car making ends

But tanks and planes, I could see those still being soldered. And they are hand built. I know some hard core off road guys, crimp, then solder, then heat shrink
                            All their connections

Comment

Have you found the issue yet?

I had a similar issue in my wagon. The wire for my front left speaker was grounding out and causing all the speakers to stop working.

Comment

Working...
                              X