Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

From a BMW driver: Much Respect to the CB7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

D00d, does seem like a bot though. He hasn't returned to this post to reply and look at his post history. But he did reply to other posts he's made and does use slang with proper spelling. So I think he's real. His intentions are confusing though, almost pointless. Conversation starter bot :P

I'm sure he just has a life and not a cb7, so he's not in here a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew22888 View Post
      Ya a bmw driven that much would of cost alot on maintenance if done when you were suppose to. But doesn't matter that gator dude is a spam bot anyways. Watch I'll prove it. Gator what is 2+2 and what year where you born. I bet he probably never answers. Or gives some weird answer.
      2+2 is 4 last time I checked. Your second question is confusing to me because you're asking me what year and "where" I was born so which do you want me to answer? Unless, of course you meant "what year were you born?" in which case you're merely a bad speller. Nevertheless, I'm in my mid-thirties and I was born in Florida.

Wow, I didn't mean to start a BMW vs. Honda thread. I only wanted to stop by and give you guys props on your impossible-to-kill cars. I own five BMWs so my experiences with maintenance costs are probably not the norm. I usually budget about $10k a year to keep all of them at factory specifications. Some years I go over that, others I get lucky and spend less but that's the average year-in and year-out. I get all of my work done at the dealership and everything is done according to BMW's scheduled maintenance plan.

In any case, to see several 20 year-old cars running around on a daily basis is a huge testament to Honda's engineering. I don't just see one every now and then, I mean I usually see two or three every single day and they're not the same ones either. That tells me there are a hell of a lot of these cars still on the road. If someone can show me another 20 year-old platform that has that kind of longevity, I'd like to see it.

Peace, and keep 'em on the road! Hopefully I can come back in five more years and give y'all props once again.
      Last edited by Gator325; 08-26-2013, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Raf99, told you he wasn't a bot!

Most people around here respect BMWs. I know I certainly do. And if you can own 5 of them, all dealer serviced for about $10,000 a year (give or take), that's pretty impressive! Only $2000 average per car, per year.
        Aside from the CB7tuner members that work at Honda dealerships, I doubt many people on here take their cars to Honda for regular maintenance... but I'd imagine sticking to the factory maintenance intervals, replacing broken/worn parts, and having necessary inspections completed when scheduled would probably cost about the same for these old Accords!

Andrew, I have to agree. BMW really has generated a reputation for being incredibly reliable (especially the 3 series... for some reason, I've always heard lots of bad about the 7 series!) In terms of reliability and sensible engineering, I'd choose a BMW over any other European brand (with Volvo being a possible exception... if sporty performance and luxury clout weren't factors.)
        Benz has some beautiful cars, and they're great when they work... but I would never want one out of warranty unless I was prepared to pay out the nose for it!
        Audi makes beautiful, capable cars... but again, when they break, it seems even Audi techs have a hard time diagnosing the problem! Probably because the electrical systems are a nightmare.
        Porsche is awesome, but aside from the Panamera, no Porsche is really all that practical for anything but a toy.

As for American cars... Lincoln has nothing worth buying anymore, unless you like paying extra for a gussied up Ford. Chrysler was better when they were warmed-over Benzes. Cadillac has promise... and I do love my CTS-V... but quality and a driver connection are both still pretty lacking.

I DID choose my CTS-V over an M3 or M5, though. Though I will admit, that was largely due to the lower purchase price, lower repair price for anything not V specific, and the big honkin' engine under the hood!

Comment

There is to be said when it comes down to BMW you can do allot to it but the kind of people that buy them just sends the wrong kind of message in a negative way like a wannabe bawler.

I actually respect the people that know the car work on it and mod it. what I usually see are people that run the car into the ground and sell it when they don't have enough funds to fix it which is sad. I loved the Honda game when it was live but now its all the nonsense hype and misinformation instead of the true enthusiasts that love the car already moved on all that's left now are scraps.

Comment

Yeah, BMWs are status symbols to some. They ARE insanely potent performance cars, though. Even the old, low-end models have a ton of potential if you really get into them. I was just down by NJ Motorsports Park yesterday, and I saw a number of BMWs rolling around. I think it was an open track day.
            I'd like to mess with a 3 series. Maybe even an older 5 or 6 series.

I agree that the Honda scene is pretty saturated with BS. There are still some really knowledgeable people, but there are a lot of cheapasses that want to follow some stupid trend for whatever they can get for their old Pokemon cards. Those that understand what it means to do something right are still doing great things with Hondas.
            Are you still looking to get another CB7, Mike?

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
              3) People who buy a used car with a car payment and then pretend they are made of money make me LOL. I remember a comment in your thread about how you laugh at people who pay more for "less" car than you did. Just wait till you start replacing SMG parts...
              THIS!!!! That is why way before I thought about buying another CB I had talked to my dad about getting me a 2004 BMW M3 convertible with the SMG as a graduation gift. Did some research. Let me tell you. EXPENSIVE!!

Omg talk about serious cash! Replacing the WHOLE system if a main part goes bad can run to $14k. That's as much as another USED BMW 3 series. You've got all kinds of sensors, pumps, computers, fluids, clutches, etc. There is A LOT to go wrong with that system.

At that time I had read so many horror stories about the M3 that it wasn't even worth it any more. Yea my family has money, but that doesn't mean we like to waste it.My dad bought a 2005 Cayenne S new. Always serviced it at the Dealer. Once he got tired of it we sold it. Bluebook value for those cars are like 12-20k for used models. We sold it at around 18k if I remember correctly. That was a $110k car brand new.

What I'm trying to say is, money may not "be an issue" but believe me, once things start going wrong ESPECIALLY with the drivetrain of that car, IT IS going to kill you in $$$. It's a money pit in my eyes.

BTW just because my FAMILY has money doesn't mean I do. I bought my car on my own, spent the money I made working. I don't ask my parents for much of anything really. I have a job, why do I need the money THEY made themselves when I have my own?

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Raf99, told you he wasn't a bot!

Most people around here respect BMWs. I know I certainly do. And if you can own 5 of them, all dealer serviced for about $10,000 a year (give or take), that's pretty impressive! Only $2000 average per car, per year.
                Aside from the CB7tuner members that work at Honda dealerships, I doubt many people on here take their cars to Honda for regular maintenance... but I'd imagine sticking to the factory maintenance intervals, replacing broken/worn parts, and having necessary inspections completed when scheduled would probably cost about the same for these old Accords!

Andrew, I have to agree. BMW really has generated a reputation for being incredibly reliable (especially the 3 series... for some reason, I've always heard lots of bad about the 7 series!) In terms of reliability and sensible engineering, I'd choose a BMW over any other European brand (with Volvo being a possible exception... if sporty performance and luxury clout weren't factors.)
                Benz has some beautiful cars, and they're great when they work... but I would never want one out of warranty unless I was prepared to pay out the nose for it!
                Audi makes beautiful, capable cars... but again, when they break, it seems even Audi techs have a hard time diagnosing the problem! Probably because the electrical systems are a nightmare.
                Porsche is awesome, but aside from the Panamera, no Porsche is really all that practical for anything but a toy.

As for American cars... Lincoln has nothing worth buying anymore, unless you like paying extra for a gussied up Ford. Chrysler was better when they were warmed-over Benzes. Cadillac has promise... and I do love my CTS-V... but quality and a driver connection are both still pretty lacking.

I DID choose my CTS-V over an M3 or M5, though. Though I will admit, that was largely due to the lower purchase price, lower repair price for anything not V specific, and the big honkin' engine under the hood!
                I am pretty sure you couldn't average $2k a year on routine CB maintenance under a normal driving schedule if you tried...
                The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Yeah, BMWs are status symbols to some. They ARE insanely potent performance cars, though. Even the old, low-end models have a ton of potential if you really get into them. I was just down by NJ Motorsports Park yesterday, and I saw a number of BMWs rolling around. I think it was an open track day.
                  I'd like to mess with a 3 series. Maybe even an older 5 or 6 series.

I agree that the Honda scene is pretty saturated with BS. There are still some really knowledgeable people, but there are a lot of cheapasses that want to follow some stupid trend for whatever they can get for their old Pokemon cards. Those that understand what it means to do something right are still doing great things with Hondas.
                  Are you still looking to get another CB7, Mike?
                  Yeah I'm still looking if not I'll prolly buy a newer model civic or mk4 supra or an srt8 Cherokee.

Comment

Mk4 Supra is going to be some MAJOR loot! Those things go for $30,000-$40,000 in decent shape. Unless you go for an N/A automatic one in shabby condition, you're going to be shelling out some serious cabbage. It would be badass, though. Your Evo is cool, but a Supra would be cooler.

SRT-8 Cherokee is pretty cool too. Automatic, heavy, and it obviously won't handle worth shit... but it'd be a pretty beastly machine. They sound amazing. I'm not a huge Chrysler fan, but the Benz-based stuff was pretty damn good.

When I no longer need the Fit, I'm hoping to get a Lotus Elise (they're around $20,000 now... ideally, I'd like to spend about $15,000 on one.)
                    Other intriguing options are:
                    Acura NSX (I just hate to spend so much on a car so old!)
                    Saab 9-7 Aero (essentially a Trailblazer SS with Saab luxury)
                    Cadillac XLR (maybe the V, but the base models are still pulling $20,000 now... it's essentially a Corvette, only heavier, and with a Cadillac engine!)
                    Cadillac STS-V (more power than my CTS-V, and more luxury.)
                    R32 Skyline GT-R or GTS-T (as the 1989 models will be legal next year... though like the NSX, that's going to be a lot of money for such an old car!)

Comment

Mk4 Supra is going to be some MAJOR loot! Those things go for $30,000-$40,000 in decent shape. Unless you go for an N/A automatic one in shabby condition, you're going to be shelling out some serious cabbage. It would be badass, though. Your Evo is cool, but a Supra would be cooler.

SRT-8 Cherokee is pretty cool too. Automatic, heavy, and it obviously won't handle worth shit... but it'd be a pretty beastly machine. They sound amazing. I'm not a huge Chrysler fan, but the Benz-based stuff was pretty damn good.

When I no longer need the Fit, I'm hoping to get a Lotus Elise (they're around $20,000 now... ideally, I'd like to spend about $15,000 on one.)
                      Other intriguing options are:
                      Acura NSX (I just hate to spend so much on a car so old!)
                      Saab 9-7 Aero (essentially a Trailblazer SS with Saab luxury)
                      Cadillac XLR (maybe the V, but the base models are still pulling $20,000 now... it's essentially a Corvette, only heavier, and with a Cadillac engine!)
                      Cadillac STS-V (more power than my CTS-V, and more luxury.)
                      R32 Skyline GT-R or GTS-T (as the 1989 models will be legal next year... though like the NSX, that's going to be a lot of money for such an old car!)
                      honestly aside from the cts-v I can see you more towards importing a gtr. If I can't get the mk4 I would opt for the mk3 but that would be working backwards ...like a boss lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X