Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1st time ever building a tuner and if its not custom its not me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st time ever building a tuner and if its not custom its not me

Hello everyone! My name is Kelly and I own a 91 lx sedan 5 speed. I previously owned a jdm 93 se and I loved it, but it got impounded. I got the 91 about a month ago for something to use for work but during the test drive I immediately realized this car had potential. It had some off brand exhaust from the header back and runs damn strong for showing almost 260000 miles. Lots of noise and vibration coming from underneath so after I got it home I started doing my home work. Driver side CV axle was shot, and by shot I mean that when I went to replace it, it broke off at the tube. Driver side upper control arm is new and the tie rod end. I have decided to replace everything and this is where my build begins. I have 2 new lba's on the way, kyb agx complete set with bushings and spring insulators(koni's out of my range due to all other work that needs to be done for safe vehicle operation), neuspeed sport springs, and I have the possibility to acquire both complete trailing arms with disc brakes from a 94 Accord v6 at a local salvage yard for $100. It's my understanding that I can take the complete hub, calipers, caliper brackets and such from the front of this 94 and begin the big brake basics for my 91. I would like some info on the the rear suspension, as in what to look for that might give me a clue as to why there is a rattle in the rear end. Also, is it worth it for me to find a rear cross member from a 4th gen ex or we for rear swaybar usage or would it be more cost effective to buy hardware and drill the holes myself. I also have a bad vibration in the steering wheel when I reach speeds above 55. Not sure if that is my wheels out of balance or if there is a busted belt in one of the tires but I have a ton of work ahead of me. I have a repair manual but I mostly use these books for tech specs. You guys and gals here at cb7 have inside info on these vehicles due to your experience and experiments with different setups and triumphs and tragedy. I chose suspension and braking system first because I want a great foundation to build on. With this cb7, this is my first rodeo. No matter which way I choose to go with this ride, I want something that is as safe to drive as it is fun! Any pointers? I will be posting pics of everything I do so you can watch this car transform into something sweet. I look forward to all insite given and I research this car daily. Also, why is the jdm front bumper so damn hard to find? If I can get my 93 outta impound(believe me I'm trying damn hard) I would have everything I need. But why build one when you can build 2. 1 boosted and the other n/a. Why not??

I'm also aware of the different e brake cables needed to switch from drum to disc. I'm planning a trip to a local pull and pay this Sunday to see what kind of goodies they have for me. I know for a fact they have a 91 ex in the yard but both cables may be gone

Comment

Welcome! Pictures are encouraged.

For the rear sway bar, it is probably better to get the center cross member from an EX (or any other model with rear bar). If you want rear disc brakes, just get the whole rear suspension. Check Cincinnati craigslist for "CB7 parts".

You're just up the road from me; if you need some assistance, let me know.
      Last edited by Fleetw00d; 02-06-2016, 01:39 AM.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
        Welcome! Pictures are encouraged.

For the rear sway bar, it is probably better to get the center cross member from an EX (or any other model with rear bar). If you want rear disc brakes, just get the whole rear suspension. Check Cincinnati craigslist for "CB7 parts".

You're just up the road from me; if you need some assistance, let me know.
        My research indicates that I can use any disc break components from years 90- 97 Accord if I'm correct. I can get everything complete except the e brake cable for $100. I found it today when I was looking for a wheel. They are a little rusty but that's nothing a little work won't fix. When I buy it I'm going to install all new bushings and powder coat the trailing arm.

Comment

Fleetwood is a helpful fellow and he is country close to where you live.
          If you're replacing bushings you my want to go polyurethane as your replacement. prothane makes a nice master kit that has front and rear bushings for the cb7. having used both energy suspension and prothane I believe the prothane to be the better quality choice.
          When doing suspension swaps (brakes and such) the bigger chunks you can get the easier the job goes.
          CB7TUNER.com
          Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by cb9love View Post
            Fleetwood is a helpful fellow and he is country close to where you live.
            If you're replacing bushings you my want to go polyurethane as your replacement. prothane makes a nice master kit that has front and rear bushings for the cb7. having used both energy suspension and prothane I believe the prothane to be the better quality choice.
            When doing suspension swaps (brakes and such) the bigger chunks you can get the easier the job goes.
            I met up with fleetwood yesterday evening and you are right! He is very helpful and very knowledgeable about cb7's. I got to see most of his "family" when he invited me over to his house. Let me tell you this, the pictures he has of his cb7's don't do them justice. They are in amazing shape, except for the wagon but that had just arrived from Texas after the accident. And it still looks better then mine. He let me pick his brain for almost 2 hours. Honestly, if we hadn't been trying to figure out the best, cost effective way to repair the damage on my cb, I probably would have asked hundreds more questions. I have only been apart of this forum for a few days now and cb7tuner.com has been my biggest tool in getting my project moving. As far as bushings go, I agree with you 100 percent. I am on a bit of a budget with my build but I don't cut corners or find the cheaper solution. I try to find the biggest bargain on top of the line parts and if there is no sale then I save for it. This cb will be transporting my two 5 year olds so safety is the most important aspect.

Comment

Glad you went down to talk to him, and yes he has a nice fleet of cb's. He is always telling the forum when he see's clean examples for sale. I hope you were able to help him clean out his stash of parts in his garage.
              I find the wagons are excellent for transporting the family while still bringing those smiles per mile that every enthusiast craves.
              CB7TUNER.com
              Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

He does have a nice stash of parts. He sold me these
                One of my hood hinges is broke. I would have had to run to the ATM to get the $10 he wanted for them so he let me take them and take care of the payment later. I will be seeing him tomorrow to settle up. It's my experience with fleetwood yesterday that has made me proud to own my cb7. Even though it's probably one of the rougher cb's on here

Comment

I'm a little curious about the 93. I didn't think Japan had a model with an SE designation. Did you import it yourself?

Comment

Great to have you on the forum. Do you have any pictures of the 93 SE? I would love to see a RHD SE (if it exists )

Anyway post some pictures if you can of the new(to you) 91. Fleetwood, and many more enthusiasts, have blessed us with a plethora of knowledge on this forum. Searching will do you wonders, as it has helped me in the past.

Great to have you aboard. I, myself, am kicking my rear end because I have been away for too long!

Good luck with all of your repairs. I have never done the rear disk conversion but I have helped a fellow member do a 5-lug swap on the front. Do your homework and make sure you have all the parts you need before you start! That way you do not end up having to stop because you didn't get the parts.

If you aren't sure or you need help, just ask. We are all here to help, as long as you put forth the effort too!

What color is your 91 CB? Any decent OEM accessories come with your 91 (visors, hood bra, foggies, ect)?

Comment

I did the rear disc conversion with the help of a friend a few years ago. It was easier than I expected, especially since my rear stuff hadn't been touched in years (if ever!)

Rusted lines can be a pain, especially if you break one, or you strip a nut. Running the e-brake cable was annoying as well. Still, easy enough to do. Especially when you have knowledgeable people at your disposal!

Comment

I had the pleasure of meeting "Ruby" last month, and she is absolutely stunning! I've also met "Silver", and you are correct, the pictures don't do them justice.

Originally posted by Tuner513 View Post
                        I met up with fleetwood yesterday evening and you are right! He is very helpful and very knowledgeable about cb7's. I got to see most of his "family" when he invited me over to his house. Let me tell you this, the pictures he has of his cb7's don't do them justice. They are in amazing shape, except for the wagon but that had just arrived from Texas after the accident. And it still looks better then mine. He let me pick his brain for almost 2 hours. Honestly, if we hadn't been trying to figure out the best, cost effective way to repair the damage on my cb, I probably would have asked hundreds more questions. I have only been apart of this forum for a few days now and cb7tuner.com has been my biggest tool in getting my project moving. As far as bushings go, I agree with you 100 percent. I am on a bit of a budget with my build but I don't cut corners or find the cheaper solution. I try to find the biggest bargain on top of the line parts and if there is no sale then I save for it. This cb will be transporting my two 5 year olds so safety is the most important aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by SEgirl View Post
                          I had the pleasure of meeting "Ruby" last month, and she is absolutely stunning! I've also met "Silver", and you are correct, the pictures don't do them justice.
                          You met "Rose" last December as well.
                          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

[QUOTE=deevergote;3251090]I'm a little curious about the 93. I didn't think Japan had a model with an SE designation. Did you import it yourself?[/QUOTE
                            I assumed it was from japan before I did my homework on USDM and JDM. Seeing as how the first character in the vin is a 1, that would mean it was made here. Do you always come at new people like that when they make a mistake?

Comment

Originally posted by dhill_cb7 View Post
                              Great to have you on the forum. Do you have any pictures of the 93 SE? I would love to see a RHD SE (if it exists )

Anyway post some pictures if you can of the new(to you) 91. Fleetwood, and many more enthusiasts, have blessed us with a plethora of knowledge on this forum. Searching will do you wonders, as it has helped me in the past.

Great to have you aboard. I, myself, am kicking my rear end because I have been away for too long!

Good luck with all of your repairs. I have never done the rear disk conversion but I have helped a fellow member do a 5-lug swap on the front. Do your homework and make sure you have all the parts you need before you start! That way you do not end up having to stop because you didn't get the parts.

If you aren't sure or you need help, just ask. We are all here to help, as long as you put forth the effort too!

What color is your 91 CB? Any decent OEM accessories come with your 91 (visors, hood bra, foggies, ect)?
                              Somewhere I read that the SE was a JDM car and shipped here. But while I was looking up other information I found the info on the vin numbers. So no its not from Japan. But it wasn't a bad car. I'm trying to get it back from the impound lot as we speak. It doesn't run and they will not get much at auction if it doesn't run so I'm trying to work my magic. It would be nice to have as a parts car or as another project car.

Comment

Working...
                              X