Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Things to get done with timing belt?......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things to get done with timing belt?......

What do you get doen when your getting the timing belt replaced? I am due for a new one here soon and was wondering what else I should get done. I would like to get a A6 cam and do that upgrade, but is that a basic drop in and tweak a few things here and there or more intense labor involved?

Any info is great guys!!!!
    TIA
    S^2
    Running a 16yr old wagon and still loving it.

If you o it then definitely do it with the t-belt off. much easier.

and i would also go ahead and do a water pump as well.

Comment

Timing belt, cam/balance shaft seals, balance shaft belts, water pump, valve adjustment... um there are a few other things but I can't remember right now.
      Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Balance shaft seal retainer!

Comment

Originally posted by EJX_Michael View Post
          Balance shaft seal retainer!
          OMFG yes!
          Seriously, if there was one thing to do while in there (ok two), it'd be the retainer and tensioner.
          Water pump is a great idea, too. And seals if you're up for it.
          Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

Yup. Everything mentioned. If you have over 200,000mi, you might want to consider new timing and balance belt tensioners too.

It's not under the timing cover, but I'd get a new thermostat to go with the new water pump. Definitely get the pump, balance belt, and bs retainer kit.

The H22 Sleeper Sedan, updated 8/14
            After 4 months down...It's back! and tucked.
            Need a Swap or some work done in the DC/MD/VA/WV area?
            PM me and get it done right!

Comment

Get the seal retainer kit if its not already there. Leave the balance shaft belt off FTW.
              "Brought to you by Carls Jr."

Comment

The retainer kit is vital. I had to get a new balence shaft seal because mine actually "fell" out... Ya! Crazy, It just started pooring oil out of the bottom of the engine one night on the way home from work, I shut the car off quick when I saw the oil light!!! Also, when I got it done I also got a new water pump, all the belts and seals... Do it!!!

Comment

is this stuff hard to do?
                  91 ex sedan
                  And now, new for 2012, a 93 ex wagon!

Paypal verified
                  Bought from: frootloops, 90accords, Agol
                  sold to: Agol

Comment

Originally posted by sdhardcoregamer View Post
                    is this stuff hard to do?
                    well, it's hard to do until you know how to do it, like most things.

I found it pretty challenging and I'm not easily scared off. Just getting access to the belts is a challenge the first time you do it.

After doing it I think I would not now hesitate to do it again. Once you understand the tools and setup you need to pull the job off it loses its intimidation factor, but still it is a fairly involved procedure even once you know what to do. Learning how the timing works in the engine also reduces the factor/anxiety about the unknown when you are in there changing the belts. Of course, you really can't know all about the timing until you get in there and start messing with the stuff. (having a clear idea beforehand how it works, when you are in the engine compartment you can then "see" and experience it with your own hands--particularly if you do a valve adjustment while you have the valve cover off.)

I think most people would agree that doing the timing belt and associated stuff is not "easy", simply because, unless you are a professional mechanic, you don't have that many occasions to need to go in and do it. (Thank god!)
                    But if you like doing things yourself, you can do it. It's a matter of whether you want to do it more than a question of having an ability to do it.
                    Last edited by batever; 10-15-2008, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Timing belt job, replace:

- timing belt
                      - balance shaft belt (or remove)
                      - replace front & rear balance shaft seals (if leaking)
                      - install front balance shaft seal retainer (if not there)
                      - inspect timing belt & balance shaft belt tensioner pullies & replace if necessary (usually last 200K miles)
                      - replace front camshaft & front main seal if leaking
                      - check/adjust valve lash
                      - replace under rocker-arm O-rings, if have oil in spark plug tubes
                      - replace valve cover gasket kit if necessary
                      - replace accessory belts, if necessary
                      - replace dizzy O-ring, if necessary
                      - tuneup, if necessary
                      - replace thermostat, if necessary
                      HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

So how much would I be looking at for cost? Just a ball park idea, so I can let the boss.... Know

Also the cam, is it just a drop in deal or is there some modding to be done from a A6 to the A1? Plus Should there be any regrinding to be done or is the cam aggressive enough to start with?
                        S^2

Comment

ballpark figure for parts is $230-250 for Honda timing belt, bal shaft belt, tensioner pulleys, water pump and assorted seals.

it seems you have no fear if you are thinking about doing the camshaft. Personally I'm not the kind of person who does that kind of stuff, I just want my car to run well and on top of the game with vehicle upkeep.

I would suggest sticking with the normal maintenance (replacing timing belt and other stuff mentioned above to original spec) and skip changing the camshaft.

changing any part of the engine to something that's a different spec from stock, to me, requires in depth knowledge of "why" and the drawbacks/advantages of doing it. The stock camshaft is designed for the engine and the valvetrain that's in there. Its job is to move the valves in sych with the combustion cycle to produce certain behavior characteristics of the motor. Switching to a different camshaft lobe profile will change some aspects valve timing and rate/duration of valve opening and closing. That's a major deal. I'm not sure you are at the point you would want to do that unless a) you have another car that you can use if/when something goes wrong and the cb7 is just a project car and b) you learn more than I sense you currently know about, not only the Accord engine, but engines in general, and know what the potential drawbacks and advantages are.

Since I don't know what those advantages/drawbacks are, I'll stop here and wish you luck with your belt change & other maintenance.

good luck with the car.

Comment

So no drop and run aspect with the cam, hmmmmm.
                            So all of the mods to be done with bolt-on from the three F22A's aren't all that, just with the exhaust mani, intake mani, spacer, and throttle body, plus air intake and exhaust.

Though it would be something to look at since I was going to do the timing belt deal.
                            Thank you guys for all of the feed back. anything else just drop the info!!!
                            TIA
                            S^2

Comment

Working...
                            X