Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Confused about how to set timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about how to set timing

Ok Im about 78% done with my 5spd swap. I was finally able to build pressure on the clutch!Shot out to Madlax on the instructions. I removed my distributor so I can remove the auto trans. I also had to rotate the toruqe converter to remove the bolts so I know that when I start the engine that it not going to run smooth. What I dont understand is that I replaced the torque converter with a 5spd flywheel. I dont remember any marks on it. also I think I have to get the #1 cylinder to TDC. how is that accomplished? I just need a little more insight on how to do this proceedure.

For memory the 5spd flywheel has a lug on it so it can only go on in 1 position.

As for your dizzy - The drive is actually slightly offset, so If you put it in the wrong way round it wont sit flush with the 3 bolts mating surfaces.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

but i think the rotor can still be off 180*

Comment

Originally posted by 10thcb7 View Post
        but i think the rotor can still be off 180*
        Ok so if its off 180 What would I do? just take the dizzy off and spin it 180 and slap it back on?? fow about the timing issue? I have a timing light but Im a little green when it comes to timing. Im not for sure what i would be looking for???

Comment

If the rotor is off 180 then take the rotor itself off and rotate it. if it's just the dist thats out of time and all the bolt holes line up and are flush then it should crank, it'll be outta time a lil. just turn the dist till you get it set up good. i don't even use a timing light for dist timing, i always just set it back where it idles the same as before i took it off.

Comment

Originally posted by plee3 View Post
            also I think I have to get the #1 cylinder to TDC. how is that accomplished?
            Turn the crank by hand and look at your cam gear, there is a little arrow on it to let you know when you are TDC (It will be pointing up)
            3 CB's gone....
            1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

Originally posted by 91Accord-LX View Post
              Turn the crank by hand and look at your cam gear, there is a little arrow on it to let you know when you are TDC (It will be pointing up)
              Ok. things are starting to clear up now. so by rotating the the crank, I should be able to look for the arrow on the cam shaft. It should be pointing in the UP position to get TDC. Then the Dizzy only goes in one way, I should rotate the dizzy until it is flush with no hesitation. Then start the vehicle. Turn the dizzy until the engine idles smoothly. Am I on the right track?

Comment

Originally posted by plee3 View Post
                I should be able to look for the arrow on the cam shaft. It should be pointing in the UP position to get TDC.
                Cam gear not camshaft. The arrow will be on the outside of the cam gear.(the side of the gear facing away from the engine)
                3 CB's gone....
                1 WK Overland....

Still miss the CB though......maybe one day.

Comment

well not really. just because the arrow on the cam gear is straight up doesn't necessarily mean that #1 is TDC. the best way to do that is to pull the spark plug out and stick a really long screwdriver into the #1 cyl plug hole and then turn the motor over by hand till the screwdriver moves to the highest point but before it starts to go back down, theres #1 TDC.

btw. if you're just doin a trans swap why did you move the cams anyway?

ninja edit: the arrow will point straight up twice with one complete revolution of the crank, i believe.
                  Last edited by Dmod; 10-28-2008, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmod View Post
                    well not really. just because the arrow on the cam gear is straight up doesn't necessarily mean that #1 is TDC. the best way to do that is to pull the spark plug out and stick a really long screwdriver into the #1 cyl plug hole and then turn the motor over by hand till the screwdriver moves to the highest point but before it starts to go back down, theres #1 TDC.

btw. if you're just doin a trans swap why did you move the cams anyway?

ninja edit: the arrow will point straight up twice with one complete revolution of the crank, i believe.
                    I think I moved the cams when I removed the 7 10mm bolts out of the auto torque converter. I had to rotate it all around to get to all the bolts. So I find TDC by putting a screwdriver in cyl #1 wait until it the screwdriver is all the way at the top right before it goes down is TDC. then install the dizzy. Do i make sure that the rotor is pointing at the #1 cylinder wire???

Comment

Ok lemme ask you this. did you ever remove the timing belt?

Comment

Ok lemme ask you this. did you ever remove the timing belt?
                        No Not at all! I havent even been over there in that area!

Comment

Why is the camshaft/ cam gears being mentioned here? All that needs to be done is set the #1 piston to TDC by putting a long rod or screwdriver down the spark plug hole and letting it rise up to the top (it should be on the compression stroke). Install the distributor and align the rotor inside to the no. 1 cylinder. Don't bother checking the cam gears for timing.

I hope you marked the position of the mounting bolts for the distributor. You did not need to take that off to get the transmission off.

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

^^^ thats exactly what i was about to say. if the timing belt was not removed then it'll still be in time on the gears. no problem there( unless your belt was loose enough and you turned the crank the wrong way then potentially you could be off a tooth, but i doubt it). so hook everything back up set the motor on #1 TDC set ur dist the same and fire her off.

oh and then enjoy shifting through the gears.

Comment

^^^ thats exactly what i was about to say. if the timing belt was not removed then it'll still be in time on the gears. no problem there( unless your belt was loose enough and you turned the crank the wrong way then potentially you could be off a tooth, but i doubt it). so hook everything back up set the motor on #1 TDC set ur dist the same and fire her off.

oh and then enjoy shifting through the gears.
                              when you say set the dizzy the same what do I do? do i take cap off, remove the rotor and set it at #1 wire in disrtibutor? if so NOW I UNDERSTAND!

Comment

Working...
                              X