Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Stick shift technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick shift technique

Ok guys I put this in the n00b section since its a n00b question

I've always heard 2 things

1) It's better to down shift when slowing down (incase you need to accelerate to dodge something)
    2) It's better to throw it in neutral and slow down because brakes are cheaper then transmissions

Figured I'd see what you guys do even though I'm pretty sure which will win
    Downshift to a stop
    46.15%
    Throw it in neutral and brake
    53.85%
    Last edited by apuforyou; 01-07-2009, 07:24 AM.

Originally posted by apuforyou View Post
    2) It's better to throw it in neutral and slow down because brakes are cheaper then transmissions
    and you're not giving it any revs, so your saving a little gas
    96 mx-6, needs work...
    91 accord lx sedan, needs work...

Comment

automatic or manual transmission? later.
      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by apuforyou View Post
        Ok guys I put this in the n00b section since its a n00b question

I've always heard 2 things

1) It's better to down shift when slowing down (incase you need to accelerate to dodge something)

Figured I'd see what you guys do even though I'm pretty sure which will win

when my older brother taught me to drive manual he told me the same things and to not shift in the middle of a turn.

Comment

I do neither. I just grind down to a halt.

Click sig to view MR thread

Links to other rides:
          Honda Accord Euro-R
          Honda Odyssey Absolute
          Honda City I-DSi
          Honda Stream

Comment

i say it depends on your surroundings. if your pulling up to a light and it might turn before you stop, then shift down.

I usually shift down and hold the clutch in traffic. otherwise, i spend a lot of time in N

Comment

Originally posted by blizzard335 View Post
              I do neither. I just grind down to a halt.
              lol and you almost get to the stop and your car is jerking because its almost stalling?
              峠 で ドリフト を して 下さい。

steam linky facebook, y0 俺 は 走り屋 です。 clickable ^

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG View Post
                automatic or manual transmission? later.
                Title is STICK shift technique you n00b!

I keed, I keed

Comment

Just shift to neutral, brakes are much cheaper than clutches

Originally posted by lordoja
                  im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                    Just shift to neutral, brakes are much cheaper than clutches

and easier to replace compared to a clutch.

Comment

Funny, my 16 year old just asked me the same question. I downshift, but I usually don't bring the pedal back up. I like to be in the correct gear to accelerate correctly for the speed I'm traveling, just in case. Once I'm stopped, it's into neutral and I let the pedal back up.

Comment

voted clutch then brake, thats if im coming to a complete stop.

Comment

Something to keep in mind is that Hondas shut off the fuel injectors when you are off the gas pedal and RPMS are above idle (basically decelerating). That is why your A/F ratio shoot to lean condition in doing this. When decelerating and getting closer to the idle RPMs, the injectors come back on. Putting car into neutral has engine go back to idle RPMs, injectors are on. You make the choice based on this.
                          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

It all depends if it's in a turn i heel and toe slightly, if i'm going to stop just N and use the brakes, if i need to stop hard downshift and break

Comment

9/10 times I put it in neutral and coast/brake to the light or stop sign.

1999 BMW M3
                              2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                              2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                              2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Working...
                              X