Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

brakes leaking at wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brakes leaking at wheels

A few months ago I got a full service oil change. They checked my brake fluid, said it was dirty and needed replacing. Ever since, it's been slowly leaking so that I need to fill the reservoir every month. It looks like the fluid is coming out at the bleeder valve, or in any case it's moist under the caliper.

Is it likely they sampled the fluid at the wheel, and ruined a gasket when they opened the bleeder? Should I replace the bleed screw? (And deal with all the fluid draining out?) Or just put liquid gasket on it?
    Last edited by Potatoswatter; 09-08-2009, 12:28 PM.

Are you talking about your rear drums? I know you said caliper but I just wanted to be sure what you are talking about because some people call the brake shoes calipers. If it is the rear drums, check the wheel cylinders. If there is fluid coming out of the rubber boots on them, you should replace them asap. Replace both sides at the same time.
    Last edited by AbsurdNY; 09-08-2009, 02:26 PM.

PARTING OUT MY 1990 EX COUPE!! EVERYTHING FOR SALE! CLICK HERE
    Listen or download the first 4 songs I completed for my new upcoming album here!!
    My member's ride

Comment

Is it leaking on your tires? If so, it could be your brake hose that's leaking.

Comment

could be hose, a broken banjo bolt, o ring, many things

They rise their wooden pints and they yoik and sing
        And they fight and dance 'till the morning

Dont forget my MRT for my 1992 Honda Accord LX

Originally posted by deevergote
        Everything in Japan is made with carbon fiber and used panties.

Comment

You could have a failing brake caliper piston seal but most likely the bleeder screw isn't tightened enough.

before doing anything radical, get a 10mm flare nut wrench or a 10mm socket and try just tightening the bleeder bolt a little. Don't use a regular wrench on it, you'll mess the bolt up. Either the socket or the flare nut wrench will work.

Don't go crazy on it and snap it. remember, it's hollow and not crazy strong.
          Last edited by batever; 09-08-2009, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by batever View Post
            You could have a failing brake caliper piston seal but most likely the bleeder screw isn't tightened enough.

before doing anything radical, get a 10mm flare nut wrench or a 10mm socket and try just tightening the bleeder bolt a little. Don't use a regular wrench on it, you'll mess the bolt up. Either the socket or the flare nut wrench will work.

Don't go crazy on it and snap it. remember, it's hollow and not crazy strong.
            ^^That is a good start^^

wont cost you anything and it will eliminate 1 troubleshooting step. Get your car on some jack stands and have your buddy pump up the brakes. Examine the entire system while your buddy pumps the brakes. If you have a problem you should notice it.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yes it's the front brakes. It's very slow, so it's not getting on the tires that I can see. I realize it could be anything but my story leads me to suspect the bleeder. I already tried tightening them as well as I could after I changed the fluid out . For all I know over-tightening by the oil change guy cracked the rubber. I guess I'll get some liquid sealant and apply it around the outside of whatever rubber appears to be filling a crack.

Mainly I'm asking, is there any point in attempting to fix the bleeder without replacing it. Replacement means taking it out and draining the brakes AGAIN. But sealing it could make it impossible to bleed again.

Comment

if the rubber hose is the brake line, it is better to replace the brake line than it is to 'patch it up'. Remember it is your brakes, for safety reasons repair it.

Comment

Not a hose, just the gasket in the bleed screw.

Comment

I applied a little bit of teflon thread tape to my bleaders. Two reasons, it creates a nice seal, and helps it from corroding and seizing up.

If the fluid is leaking from the tip, then it's not seating properly I suppose.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Potatoswatter View Post
                      Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yes it's the front brakes. It's very slow, so it's not getting on the tires that I can see. I realize it could be anything but my story leads me to suspect the bleeder. I already tried tightening them as well as I could after I changed the fluid out . For all I know over-tightening by the oil change guy cracked the rubber. I guess I'll get some liquid sealant and apply it around the outside of whatever rubber appears to be filling a crack.

Mainly I'm asking, is there any point in attempting to fix the bleeder without replacing it. Replacement means taking it out and draining the brakes AGAIN. But sealing it could make it impossible to bleed again.

If you really think it's a faulty bleeder screw, you can try just replacing the bleeder screw. I don't think removing it will introduce a lot of air in the system as long as you don't move the brake pedal.

I don't think you will find a bleeder screw to purchase as a separate item, but maybe buy another master cylinder (aftermarket) and take the bleeder screw from that and install it. It may fix the problem.

Using thread sealant on the bleeder screw probably won't work because you have to loosen and tighten it to bleed the brakes, and the thread sealant is only good for one setting. Once you turn the bleeder the sealant will be wrecked. (unless you try ptfe (pipe sealing) tape).

I would just get another bleeder screw and take it from there.

BTW, I don't recall there being any rubber on the bleeder screws, I think they are all brass.
                      Last edited by batever; 09-09-2009, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X