Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

My car sometimes won't start, but other times it will.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My car sometimes won't start, but other times it will.

So the other day when I went to start my car...well, it didn't. Then I held the ignition while pressing the gas for about 15 seconds and then it turned on. Later that night I was driving it and WAM! the engine turns off while I was driving it I really have no idea what is wrong with it because it keeps happening. I dont know if this helps but it started happening after I got an oil change...I checked the oil and there seemed to be no problem.

Click For MRT

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=53888&

I would start at the main relay. ^^^Here is a DIY on how to fix them

Comment

Originally posted by plee3 View Post

THANKS! I'll let you know what I find

Click For MRT

Comment

Originally posted by plee3 View Post

The main relay wouldn't make your car die though. You just wouldn't be able to start it.
        Sig removed due to excessive size.

Comment

The main relay COULD cause it to cut out, but I don't know of that ever happening.

The first thing to check would be the battery connections and grounds. Make sure all are clean and tight. It's free and easy to check those things.

Next, check to see if the problem is spark or fuel. The next time it doesn't start, listen for the fuel pump. If that comes on, the main relay is not the culprit. If you can't hear the pump, get out and pull a spark plug. Disconnect the distributor, so the car isn't getting any spark (you don't want it to start with a plug out!) and crank it. Smell for fuel. If you smell fuel, then you can most likely rule out a fueling issue.

Now you look to spark. Keep that plug out. Reconnect the distributor, and crank the engine briefly, checkng for spark. It's best to hold the plug near something that the spark will arc to, so you can see it.
          No spark, then you're going to want to replace your ignition coil and/or igniter.

No-start problems are common wheb it gets hot out.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            The main relay COULD cause it to cut out, but I don't know of that ever happening.
            I had that happen to my brothers 94 civic. When the main rely would heat up and cause the solder joint to expand. Since it was broken it would no longer be seated properly and the car would just stall out. Since then we resolderd the broken joint and there hasent been any more problems.

Comment

main relay ..ingitor in the dizzy hope it workes

Comment

Originally posted by osl View Post
                The main relay wouldn't make your car die though. You just wouldn't be able to start it.
                it caused mine to die, because it cutt off my fuel pump.
                but it sounds like it may be the problem for the OP.
                Originally posted by scudweiser
                once again people, need i remind you that there is no road between the kitchen and the bedroom, and therefore women need not drive?

Comment

I know this is a little late but the problem ended up being my ignitor. Bought a new one and ran fine

Click For MRT

Comment

Thanks. It's always good to learn what the problem was!

Comment

Just out of curiosity what is the ignitor?
                      Originally posted by Gummiegorilla
                      Damn CBs are like a Rubix Cube sometimes !!!!

Comment

To be honest all I know is that it is in the distributor... someone else that is more qualified to answer this can probably help you.

Click For MRT

Comment

Originally posted by pedalpusher90 View Post
                          Just out of curiosity what is the ignitor?
                          Ignitor is simply a device that allows for a spark to combust the fuel.

Similar to an ignitor on a bbq.

Comment

Good Job Man

Comment

Originally posted by Zeusimo View Post
                              Good Job Man
                              Posts like this will get your post count set back to 0....

just fyi.

Comment

Working...
                              X