Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Frank motor......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frank motor......

I know I am new to these forums,so I will be nice.

I am going crazy stuck in newbie forums with every other thread people wanting to slap a H head on there F block,assuming they will gain the power the H series motor puts out.

Here,hope this helps.

It will not do anything other then cause your stock F bottom end to come apart.
    It is not able to handle the high rpm's the H22 is designed for.Also the H22 is not a B16a or a B18c5 so 9K is asking for problems.

Your F motor vtec or not is a great motor with tons of potential.It will not be cheap.
    Boost with a good tune,quality parts and arp fasteners vtec or not can make great power.

You can swap a jdm F20b or H22a for less then a good turbo set up.

You can also build your F motor for spray or just a high cc N/A.

Please stop thinking that Vtec has anything to do with the power or the rpm's your car can safely achieve. vtec is nothing more then the way that Honda gives you both fuel economy and good power.

If you want power vtec or not a high compression f motor with a nice cam,mild port and polish,even a gasket match and polish with a nice 4-1 header would be nuts.

All this aside you will not gain more then a swap.

So it's back to the old saying.You get what you pay for.

200+hp fun for less then $1500 is an H swap with p28 chipped/tuned
    200+hp fun for $2500-$5k for a good turbo and tune(something that will last for a daily)
    190-225 F motor build $2500 should get you there if your doing the work.

$500 H head on stock F block,your selling that heap on CL for $500 after you blow it up.

thats pretty much what the knowledgeable members tell people who ask about doing this swap.

some guys have made it work and made it reliable, but they also knew what they were doing when it comes to building engines.

instagram @mikeymeyagi

Comment

It can work but it takes money and time. I bought my H23 head for $100.00
      I have a few thousand into the engine now and it's not even done yet.

What really pisses me off is when I see people giving advise about building a hybrid engine and what does or does not work and so on, and they haven't ever opened an engine before.

Also to the OP, the F22 vtec is complete garbage. Don't think that it's a performance engine or even has potential.

Comment

[QUOTE=red07frontier;2682790]
        What really pisses me off is when I see people giving advise about building a hybrid engine and what does or does not work and so on, and they haven't ever opened an engine before.[QUOTE]

I feel the same way. People should make posts based on their experience or quote from proper knowledgeable authority in the business.
        A&P-IA

Comment

exactly. you wouldnt take driving lessons from someone whos neverdriven a car before would you?

instagram @mikeymeyagi

Comment

"slapping" an h head on a F or h23 bottom end IS asking for problems if you spin it like an h22, however, dont be a dumbass and do the bottom end the way its supposed to be done. balanced and clearanced properly (not stock).

my old h23vtec lasted a little over 30k miles and it saw over 200 dyno passes, lots of street racing and a whole bunch of spirited driving almost every day (8500rpm). And still got 36-40mpg on the interstate and didnt burn oil.
            www.850fab.com
            IG - @850Fab
            FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

I have never opened an engine.

Comment

wait, 2500 dollars for a 200hp f build? NA or turbo? a dsm build with tuning wont cost anything near that price.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

For a reliable daily, I wouldn't trust a cheap DSM build. For reliable parts, a quality tune, and proper restoration of the engine, I'd say his estimate is pretty close.

An NA F build would cost more than $2500. hondafan81's "red" project's head build and block refresh cost well over $3000.

Comment

Originally posted by red07frontier View Post
                    It can work but it takes money and time. I bought my H23 head for $100.00
                    I have a few thousand into the engine now and it's not even done yet.

What really pisses me off is when I see people giving advise about building a hybrid engine and what does or does not work and so on, and they haven't ever opened an engine before.

Also to the OP, the F22 vtec is complete garbage. Don't think that it's a performance engine or even has potential.
                    You can build a f22 vtec to be a solid little single cam motor.
                    It is not worth it IMO.

The people who ask are simply trying to avoid a swap,why I have no idea unless money or ability.

I am going to take some picks of mine.

H22a swapped h series trans with F final drive.Love this car.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      For a reliable daily, I wouldn't trust a cheap DSM build. For reliable parts, a quality tune, and proper restoration of the engine, I'd say his estimate is pretty close.

An NA F build would cost more than $2500. hondafan81's "red" project's head build and block refresh cost well over $3000.
                      i put a dsm setup on my old room mates f22 prelude, with a t25 and used PVC pipe for the intercooler and tuned it on 8psi.

Still running strong 1 year later.
                      its all about how its tuned.

instagram @mikeymeyagi

Comment

You're a braver man than I...

Tuning is a big part. As is the initial condition of the motor, and the way it's driven.

Comment

What's wrong with 250-300 whp out of a properly built and Boosted F22B1? Costs the same as doing an F22A* build with pretty much the same parts. Some people use what they have. Not just because of lack of money or lack of ability. Some like to run what they have and see what it's potential is. The biggest thing is knowing your engines limitations before you start. Also what can or cannot be done to change/alter those limitations.

IIRC the SOHC F22Bs limitations compared to the F22A is that it flows 30cfm/port less than the F22A. Just how much is that going to effect a 250whp street driven daily driver? Now if your looking to squeeze every hundredth of a second in the 1320, that is a bigger deal. I would also run a better flowing head in that case. Honestly, if your into racing on weekends to make money. You wouldn't be running a stock F22A head ether. $$$$
                          Last edited by GhostAccord; 12-14-2010, 10:51 PM.
                          MR Thread
                          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

The F22B1 with turbo can make MORE than enough power than anyone needs in a FWD daily-driven street car, even with a completely stock head.

The only real drawback to the F22B1 is in hardcore N/A performance, and I've come across some pretty impressive NA B1s (though not in person, so I won't name names until I have hard evidence.)

Comment

It's simple.

Best bang for your buck is H or F20b swap,or boost your F.
                              Frank motors are a waste IMO.
                              30K before failure is not reliable if you ask me.When I get 200K on a stock f or h or 100k on a well built and tuned boosted f.

People stop being so cheap.

The reason a turbo kit will cost you $2500-$4000 or more with a tune is because it was designed to last and be stable.

You do not want to blow a motor because your cheap eBay turbo spiked 15lbs when your tuned @ 8lbs.Sorry but if I wanted to waste money Vegas is more fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X