Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Axle help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axle help!

so today i noticed that there was a lot of black shit on my passenger side wheel, when i bent down to look at it i noticed that it was splattered all over the well... after many many mathematical solutions and a couple DNA tests my group of scientologiticans determined that it was grease! i havent taken the wheel off to see what the culprit is but my guess would be the CV boot went to shit, there is no clicking of any kind when driving but i can tell you that i did hit a gnarly pot hole a couple days ago. should i go get new boots and replace them or just wait til the end of the month for the Gov't to send me my misery and replace the axle altogether?

found this puppy
    Replacement Front, Passenger Side Axle Assembly
    Originally posted by scudweiser
    it will go vrooooooom bauggggghhhh mmmmmmaauuugggg. Still no mmmmmbAAAAAAAUUUHHHHHHH though.
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Do you have anything intelligent to offer, or are you just trying to whore up your post count?

you can just replace the boot if there is no popping yet .my pop has done that before and it worked . maybe best bet to find out what is the problem and go from there. also replace both axles at the same time if you decide to change one. you will get longer life out of them .

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

yea im about to go take a peek at it. i was thinking of switching both axles at once thats why i would have to wait for the end of the month. i'll put pics up.
      it will go vrooooooom bauggggghhhh mmmmmmaauuugggg. Still no mmmmmbAAAAAAAUUUHHHHHHH though.
      Do you have anything intelligent to offer, or are you just trying to whore up your post count?

Comment

IMHO-don't waste your time trying to replace the boot.

If you can pop the ball joints out and remove the massive nut holding the axle on, it's really not that difficult or expensive to just replace the entire axle.

And if you're replacing the whole thing anyway you can wait a few weeks without worrying that it will fall off cuz the boot is torn.
        90 Accord Ex, F22A4. Slight fire damage.

Comment

just got back from pepboys, the parts manager happens to be a CB7 driver too... so hes going to hook it up with both axels for $125. i got the haynes book too. maybe in a couple weeks i will be able to get both new axles in what all else shout i do while im there?

Comment

Originally posted by lordoja View Post
            just got back from pepboys, the parts manager happens to be a CB7 driver too... so hes going to hook it up with both axels for $125. i got the haynes book too. maybe in a couple weeks i will be able to get both new axles in what all else shout i do while im there?
            Good to hear you got both, they're $60 each at autozone though...

IMO, rebuild the front end. Upper and lower ball joints, and tie rod ends. Then it just depends how far you want to go. If you do the what I just suggested, you'll have the knuckle off, so you could change rotors, bearings, and brakes.

Then make sure you get an alignment. You'll also have the warm fuzzy feeling of a new front end.
            MRT
            37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
            30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
            27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
            Originally posted by Tippey764
            I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
            sneaky motherfucker

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffMisiak View Post
              IMO, rebuild the front end. Upper and lower ball joints, and tie rod ends. Then it just depends how far you want to go. If you do the what I just suggested, you'll have the knuckle off, so you could change rotors, bearings, and brakes.
              rebuild as in fix what i have now, or buy all new shit? i wanted to go ahead a replace as much crap as i can since she was neglected for the past 20 years =/ money is tight right now since im going through a shitty divorce... otherwise i would be dumping money left and right onto her lol

Comment

found it!

the wheels are supposed to be bronze

closer look at damages

the bleed and spread

looks like i ran over a damn alien

and here is the damn broken boot =/

Comment

$125 isn't a bad deal. I don't have any experience with Pep Boys axles (and they're remanuafactured for sure, at that price) so be careful. They might suck! However, replacing both at the same time is a VERY good thing to do. If the Pep Boys axles suck, I suggest going to NAPA. I ran one of their remans for about 7 years with no problems (even raced on it) and only replaced it because I separated the joint and couldn't get it back together.

Check the DIY section for a very good writeup on how to change the axles written by LadyG94CB7.

As for rebuilding the front end... replace all those parts that Geoff mentioned. Tie rod ends (or the full tie rods if they need it, but that can be a bitch), all bushings, all ball joints, etc... The ball joints especially are VERY important. If you have any ball joints with torn boots, that can be extremely dangerous, and they should be changed ASAP. I would get all suspension parts from Honda, as aftermarket cheapie parts can sometimes be worse than worn OEM parts!

Comment

Don't forget bushings too!
                    MRT
                    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                    Originally posted by Tippey764
                    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                    sneaky motherfucker

Comment

From previous experience, replace with new. Boots are NOT the way to go if they have been torn open already. axles get exposed to elements faster then anything else. new ones cost about 120 tops. Dont bother getting remanned, they usually lack on quality on the rebuild, and you never know what happened to them.
                      90 Accord EX F22a1 Auto R.I.P.
                      2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L GS sport HELLO!

Comment

yea, they're reman'd the dude said they have a "life-time" warranty, of course as long as im not jumping the grand canyon or change ownership...
                        i think for now imma go grab me a new boot and pop it on and save up to get the whole front end done.

I checked that DIY out in fact looking for help, i think that without this site my car would SPONTANEOUSLY combust... you know how those things happen every full moon when you fart at the right time in the right tone.

Comment

Originally posted by js593 View Post
                          From previous experience, replace with new. Boots are NOT the way to go if they have been torn open already. axles get exposed to elements faster then anything else. new ones cost about 120 tops. Dont bother getting remanned, they usually lack on quality on the rebuild, and you never know what happened to them.
                          yea thought about that, i can't find any new ones though. i read that replacing a boot is about as effective as using duct tape on the broken one since i have been running it like that for a couple days. i'm not licking yet so i was wondering what if i get a new boot tho and clean the living shit out of my axle and re-grease it my self?

Comment

and apparently i like to lick shit on my drivetrain while i'm there

Comment

Cardone SELECT Has Lifetime warranty on all their NEW axles ( i know this, im a parts guy) I believe Autozone carries Cardone, do they not?
                              90 Accord EX F22a1 Auto R.I.P.
                              2011 Mazda 3 Hatch 2.5L GS sport HELLO!

Comment

Working...
                              X