Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Turbo CB7 Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turbo CB7 Setup

Hi

--non technical--

For the last 4 years I've been a DSM Tuner. I've been addicted to AWD trubo for a long time now, after a long series of events I've found myself with a 91 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (75k) with a broken valve train and a 92 Honda Accord with 227k on it.

--/non technical--

I've been researching what I can do to this CB7, because there are so many available parts. Well because I love turbo, I've put together a little something and need some help filling in the gaps (because I'm used to the 4g63/4g64). I'm not looking to set the next Honda 1/4 mile record, just something peppy to drive around on the street, so around 250-350hp.

I know I'm working backwards, but I figured I'd start with something I'm familiar with. I know the Evo3 Big 16g turbo can produce a decent amount of power, and the DSM manifold will bolt up to the F22A1 block. Which I know will require a custom downpipe (unless you guys know of someone who makes one) and drilling oil feed & return lines (suggested placement?).

I know to hold boost reliably I will need to upgrade the internals, which I've searched but I've been unable to find any forged piston/rod combos, and piston selves are a new thing to me.

Which leads to fuel, I know the DSM or Evo injectors are decent, 450cc or 550cc should be enough to tune on. I'm not sure what fuel pump would work best, but it's also something I haven't heavily looked into but any suggestions to be thrown out would be appreciated.

Fuel can't be done without tuning, I know there's Hondata & NepTune, but I'm not sure what else is out there. I'd like something with more functionality than a SAFC, but not as complex as the AEM Standalone system. DSMs used DSMLink; which allowed for compensation for things like bigger injectors, timing, fuel maps, etc, but keeps the stock maps for every day driving.

I've also read through 30+ HP for under $500 thread. Which are all things that I'm going to be seeking out shortly.

I know I've been listing the steps in reverse order, as I'm listing maintenance last (but is what I'm currently working on). Did the breaks, oil, valve cover gasket and other basic maintenance over the last week. I figure a timing belt is in the near future, which would be the perfect time to do the F22A6 camshaft & ECU.

I know there's some things I'm missing and would appreciate any additional info & links.

Man, I cringe whenever I see one of these threads pop up... I'm glad to see this isn't the usual "wut do i need 2 boost my cb7 4 cheep?"

There are a number of decent piston options out there, and just about any reputable company could probably make a custom piston to suit your needs. I would constact Bisimoto, as they know the F22A better than anyone (possibly even Honda), and they offer quality piston choices (the majority is made by Arias, I believe.)

The more popular tuning packages for the DIY tuners are Crome, Uberdata, and ECtune.

As for the fuel pump, Walbro seems to be the brand of choice.

I haven't boosted a CB7 myself yet, so the specific details are beyond me... but there are plenty of knowledgeable people that can fill in the blanks, for sure!

Welcome to the site!

Comment

deevergote, after searching the 20 some odd pages that pop-up when you search "turbo" and seeing your knowledge & expertise, I take that as quite a compliment. I've been around cars & tuner forums enough to try and not make the rookie mistakes. And I'm totally not looking for the ebay turbo with PVC piping

I was hoping to avoid custom pistons, but thanks for the info, I'll contact them.

And I'll look into the tuning info.

I figured Walbrow, as it seems to be standard among all tuners; I just didn't know if they made the 255 for the CB7 or not.

I hope that I can be a resource for the forum once I get the nuances down of the CB7.

Comment

Walbro does make the 255 for the CB7.

Bisimoto (and others) may have some good "shelf" pistons as well, so you won't need to go custom.
        Another option that people have discussed, but not one I can recall seeing successfully done, was to use DSM pistons. I'm sure you know where to find those! It's been discussed a few times, and I believe the general consensus is that it will work, but I can't recall seeing anyone actually running an engine with them.

Comment

The bore is the same at 85mm, but I was unable to find any information as to the wrist pin location for either piston. I know the wrist pin for the DSM is 21/22mm depending on 6 or 7 bolt and it looks like the f22 wrist pin is 21.99mm according to this site. If someone knows the location of the wrist pin on the F22 & 4g63 then I'd be willing to drop them into my motor. (I'll keep looking & post the find)

Edit:

I found this on the DSMTuner forums:
          moving wrist pin location. (crazy question)

Which seems to address that the stock 4g63 piston pared with the F22 crank/rod combo will cause the piston to come about 3mm above the top of the cylinder. They had mentioned using the H22 crank/rod assembly which is the next area to look into.
          Last edited by slow_egg; 06-02-2011, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Another option would be to extend the block... but that's getting rather complicated. Custom pistons would certainly be more reasonable and reliable at that point!

Comment

Yea I would raise the bloock and get your r/s ratio up cause are cb's are not that good. I think it's like 1.47-1.49 that's perrty bad for a turbo car stock cb. Well if you want it to last. That all from me oh and have fun.
              Take a look at my MRT!! Thanks
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=186609

Comment

Originally posted by slow_egg View Post
                The bore is the same at 85mm, but I was unable to find any information as to the wrist pin location for either piston. I know the wrist pin for the DSM is 21/22mm depending on 6 or 7 bolt and it looks like the f22 wrist pin is 21.99mm according to this site. If someone knows the location of the wrist pin on the F22 & 4g63 then I'd be willing to drop them into my motor. (I'll keep looking & post the find)

Edit:

I found this on the DSMTuner forums:
                moving wrist pin location. (crazy question)

Which seems to address that the stock 4g63 piston pared with the F22 crank/rod combo will cause the piston to come about 3mm above the top of the cylinder. They had mentioned using the H22 crank/rod assembly which is the next area to look into.
                "4G63 Pistons in the F22" has quite a good amount of info in this thread: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=21173

It was a long time ago that I read through it, but IIRC the main factor that held people back was that as you say - the 4G63 Piston is out of the F22 bore by a bit.

It also has the wristpin location in there

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

The one thing frustrating about the Bisi piston is the need to bore out 1mm more. Now Arias does list 85mm Pistons Which I'm sure Bisi can get their hands on also. Wiseco has a set you can see at Race Eng Along with the H23 rods. I saw these guys SGI on Ebay but I know nothing about them. Here is their site http://www.sgiperformance.com/client/index.php

It maybe easier to use existing items than put the work into the DSM pistons.

Comment

Working...
                  X