Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

possible cheap turbo piston!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible cheap turbo piston!

my friend and i are planning on building an f22 to handle some moderate boost. As all of you with aftermarket forged pistons know, they are pretty expensive. So i got an idea from d-series guys....just some ghetto things that they do

b16 rods, 75mm supra turbo pistons (boost)

b18a rods, any oem d-series piston (n/a)

suzuki vitara 75mm pistons, they have stronger ringlands (boost)

so i started looking for a budget 85mm piston, guess what oem turbo motor has them......

4g63......for those of you who don't know engine codes, that's the dsm (eclipse, talon, laser) turbo motor. Personally i think it would be ridiculous if those worked, f22a guys are already jocking dsms hard!

the bore is the same but of course you have the wrist pin location to worry about, those could certainly be machined to fit f22/h23 rods, but without knowing the height of the piston (distance from wrist pin to top of piston) it's hard to know what the compression ratio would be.

i'd like to try to get my hands on some oem 4g63 pistons, but all of my car friends are into the almighty H.

just some food for thought.
    H.S.A.E.

90 CRX Si - gutted, caged, Bisi F2d kit, close ratio LSD trans, F22A6 - under construction

99 civic LX - y8 head and trans, lowered, blowing cold AC, and getting 35mpg.

oem 4g63 pistons $36 (click me)
    H.S.A.E.

90 CRX Si - gutted, caged, Bisi F2d kit, close ratio LSD trans, F22A6 - under construction

Comment

nothings cheaper than the pistons already in your motor

Comment

yes...........that's true

ok....by moderate boost i mean we're looking to make 250-300hp, pistons will be aftermarket, rods will be aftermarket or shotpeened and cryo'd h23 rods. Sleeves will be fine.
        Last edited by hatchninja; 04-22-2005, 08:15 PM.
        H.S.A.E.

Comment

Originally posted by hatchninja
          yes...........that's true

ok....by moderate boost i mean we're looking to make 250-300hp, pistons will be aftermarket, rods will be aftermarket or shotpeened and cryo'd h23 rods. Sleeves will be fine.
          great....now u've got me thinking :sad: and my girl has a spare 1G block in the garage with the pistons and rods already out ...just great
          Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

dude......go measure the wrist pin size, and the wrist pin to piston top distance!!!!!!

been doing some research. (registerd as a spy at DSMtuner.com) DSM guys feel totally comfortable boosting the snot out of the stock internals.....350+hp

NOW GO MEASURE THOSE PISTONS!!!

I'm relatively sure that whatever the wrist pin difference is, it could be handled by a machine shop.

the main problem is if the piston height is drastically different, resulting in an ultra-low or an ultra hight CR.
            H.S.A.E.

Comment

found this about wrist pin size.
              what pistons did you buy? if topline then they will be no different because topline 1g and 2g pistons are the same except for the pin size 1g 21mm 2g 22mm? but oem 1g and 2g are very different the ringlands are ideed different you can tell just looking at them!

the first gens run a compression ratio of 7.8. the 2gen use a 8.5
              also i've found that 1G 4g63 pistons are more dished....lower cr....2g are pretty much flat, and the 4g63 EVO pistons have an even higher cr, and are known to handle 500hp
              H.S.A.E.

Comment

and how am i measuring them? with a ruler lol?

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

why dont we just drop a whole 4g63 into the cord lol

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

they only have 2 valve reliefs in them and they are flat as can be not dished at all

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
                      why dont we just drop a whole 4g63 into the cord lol
                      lol...find me a shell and we'll do it i'm game lol....dirty, dirty thoughts

1G's have 7.8:1 compression by the way and 2G's have 8.5:1

Comment

hm...they're 16valve, so there has to be 4 valve releifs per piston. I saw some pics on DSMtuner.com, i'll try to find the pic and post it here.

according to the guys on dsmtuner, the 1g pistons should be dished....are you sure it's a turbo motor? the engine stamp and block is the same.
                        H.S.A.E.

Comment

link to pic of piston (might have to register) CLICK ME
                          H.S.A.E.

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
                            and how am i measuring them? with a ruler lol?
                            yeah! as long as it has mm's....measure from the middle of the wrist pin hole to the top of the piston. At least give a rough measurement and POST PICS....then maybe someone can also give a rough (or more precise) measurement of f22a pistons. Then we'll know if they're drastically different or not.

BTW, does anyone know the wrist pin bore of the f22a?
                            H.S.A.E.

Comment

found some info on f23 pistons on H-T

Rod info:
                              BE thickness = .780"
                              LE thickness = .780"
                              crank journal = 1.771" or 45mm
                              wrist pin = .864" or 22mm floating pin
                              BIG pic
                              http://www.we-todd-did-racing....D.jpg

F23 piston compression height (measured with vernier calipers):
                              1.180" or 30mm

More F23 info can be found on page 23 of Prelittlelude's F22/H22 hybrid thread:
                              http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=776837&page=23
                              H.S.A.E.

Comment

Working...
                              X