Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Automatic transmission problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic transmission problem

Alright i don't even know where to begin here

I drove my car down to a guy on craigslists to get some parts

upon leaving my D4 light was flashing

I go to check the codes and i am getting codes

WTF?

Where do i even begin with this?

drain fluid and refill with honda genuine
    also pull the rad line and start the car so you can COMPLETELY drain the system from the tq converter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdPA...eature=related

http://www.preludepower.com/forums/s...d.php?t=350241

even if this doesnt solve your problem, u have a used car so it should be done so that YOU know the cars history
    Last edited by xkjnboix; 01-12-2012, 06:12 PM.
    frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
      Alright i don't even know where to begin here

I drove my car down to a guy on craigslists to get some parts

upon leaving my D4 light was flashing

I go to check the codes and i am getting codes

WTF?

Where do i even begin with this?
      Open up your TCU and take a look. Thats a classic sign that something burned up. It probably looks like this:

But on a different part of the board. Heres the fix I went through on my board: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=185004
      Last edited by cloudasc; 01-12-2012, 06:19 PM.
      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

It looks like this

i guess that black stuff is the board burnt?

Comment

It looks like this

i guess that black stuff is the board burnt?
          The capacitors on the board leaked, it doesn't look like anything burned out / flared up.

You should be able to use a q-tip and some isopropyle alchohol to clean up the electrolytes (the black stuff) that have oozed onto the board.

Then grab the capacitors listed in my guide, resolder each one, and it should be as good as new. Looks like you got off lucky.

This was a 90-91 tcu correct?
          Last edited by cloudasc; 01-12-2012, 07:24 PM.

Comment

this is a 9293 TCU

i'm just going to buy a new TCU since i'm already going to the junkyard tomorrow for other parts.

Comment

this is a 9293 TCU

i'm just going to buy a new TCU since i'm already going to the junkyard tomorrow for other parts.
              I guess old age is creeping up on the 92-93 tcu's now... I guess my guide applies to all of them.

Heres a cool video on capacitors:

If you can find a TCU for less than $5, then grab it up, otherwise it might be cheaper to fix the old one...

also remember this, just because you pick another one up from the junkyard, if you do not replace the capacitors on it, it will blow out again... its just a matter of time.
              Last edited by cloudasc; 01-12-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Honestly i don't see myself skilled or patient enough to repair it which is why i just want to replace it and be done with it.

Comment

Honestly i don't see myself skilled or patient enough to repair it which is why i just want to replace it and be done with it.
                  I know that feeling well , you may not have the skill/patience, but if you are going out to buy another, you might as well try repairing your old one (or have someone you know that can solder repair it), as sending the old one to the landfill isn't the best for the environment, these tcu's were made before RoHS, so their environmental impact is higher. Better to send 5 capacitors to the trash, then a whole circuit board filled with...

RoHS is often referred to as the lead-free directive, but it restricts the use of the following six substances:
                  1.Lead (Pb)
                  2.Mercury (Hg)
                  3.Cadmium (Cd)
                  4.Hexavalent chromium (Cr6+)
                  5.Polybrominated biphenyls (PBB)
                  6.Polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE)

PBB and PBDE are flame retardants used in several plastics.

^^^ Mmmm wouldn't you love to add all this to the water table?

Did you know that almost all of our e-waste ends up getting shipped to other 3rd world countries like china, and we wonder why lead and other new manufactered products that get shipped back to us, end up contaminated.

EDIT: Damn, I guess the fact I am going to be a father soon is sinking in, as the world we leave behind our children are going to have to clean up, just like were having to clean up after our parents generations, and the generations before.
                  Last edited by cloudasc; 01-12-2012, 08:15 PM.

Comment

I'm not going to throw the old one away. I never throw car stuff away. It will sit on the shelf as a reference or until I feel like learning to fix it.

Comment

I'm not going to throw the old one away. I never throw car stuff away. It will sit on the shelf as a reference or until I feel like learning to fix it.
                      Especially for you:

Comment

Comment

In addition to the tcu, some preventive maintenance
                          Clean the solenoid screens and flush out the old fluid with some nice new dw1.

I did this on my auto and it worked great.

you need two 5 gal buckets and some hose

Take both cooler hoses off, put two new hoses on and put one in each bucket, fill bucket with the suction line to it with 8-12qts of atf, i forget what the capacity is for the cb, start it up and let it suck the new fluid in and pump the old stuff out. you can run all of it through or stop when the fluid coming out looks clean. put the hoses back, take it for a drive, do a drain and fill and clean the magnet on the drain plug. Drove like a brand new transmission and got a good 10k miles out of it with no problems(till the car was totaled) and fluid still looked great. I also was 17 at the time and beat the shit out of it, manual shifting and all.

If you dont like the idea of a flush just do 4 or 5 drain and fills and that should get the old stuff out.

FYI list price for honda atf is $8.23qt my local carquest has it for $6qt
                          Last edited by C91BLX7; 01-12-2012, 10:54 PM.
                          wat?

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
                            I know that feeling well , you may not have the skill/patience, but if you are going out to buy another, you might as well try repairing your old one (or have someone you know that can solder repair it), as sending the old one to the landfill isn't the best for the environment, these tcu's were made before RoHS, so their environmental impact is higher. Better to send 5 capacitors to the trash, then a whole circuit board filled with...

RoHS is often referred to as the lead-free directive, but it restricts the use of the following six substances:
                            1.Lead (Pb)
                            2.Mercury (Hg)
                            3.Cadmium (Cd)
                            4.Hexavalent chromium (Cr6+)
                            5.Polybrominated biphenyls (PBB)
                            6.Polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE)

PBB and PBDE are flame retardants used in several plastics.

^^^ Mmmm wouldn't you love to add all this to the water table?

Did you know that almost all of our e-waste ends up getting shipped to other 3rd world countries like china, and we wonder why lead and other new manufactered products that get shipped back to us, end up contaminated.

EDIT: Damn, I guess the fact I am going to be a father soon is sinking in, as the world we leave behind our children are going to have to clean up, just like were having to clean up after our parents generations, and the generations before.
                            Congrats dude ive been a father for 8 years now its not that hard and its fun.
                            this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
                            How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
                            Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Strange stuff. Car was working perfect this morning. Drove it to ihop and went in to eat. Came out and it was blinking again.

I replaced the TCu today and its all good. New TCU looked to be in great shape.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X