Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car steers itself

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car steers itself

Please bounce as many ideas at me as you can. I don't want to list what my car has, in order to keep an open flow of ideas.

Scenario: It's been very windy lately. It's been blowing my car around so that I have to frequently re adjust my steering
    on a straight road. It could be the wind. It could be some other things that have happened. Give me any ideas.

PS: If you really want to know everything I've done, just click the pic and read.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Could just be the wind, but I'm betting you have your caster or toe out of alignment making your car twitchy.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

This usually happens to me in very windy conditions. I wouldnt personaly read into it too much. Now if it happens without a windy day you may have other probems. Are you being blown to one side the whole time, or is it with and against the wind?

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
        Could just be the wind, but I'm betting you have your caster or toe out of alignment making your car twitchy.
        I know I do have alignment issues. It stems from the tire destroying pothole I hit and the suspension work I did over the summer. I'm hoping it's not from something else I haven't found yet. That's why I wanted any ideas.

Originally posted by GrimmCB7 View Post
        This usually happens to me in very windy conditions. I wouldnt personaly read into it too much. Now if it happens without a windy day you may have other probems. Are you being blown to one side the whole time, or is it with and against the wind?
        It was less windy today, and I didn't really notice it. However, this morning I woke to a flat. It could've been the cause to some of what I was feeling. I still have wheel shake, I'm just hoping it's not anything on the suspension that's gone wrong.
        MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

have you replaced your upper/lower ball joint lately?

i noticed a big changed in my steering after i did mine.
          RIP 4/23/12...lets not forget, the 88" Z31 turbo, are my dailys

Comment

Originally posted by jewelproject View Post
            have you replaced your upper/lower ball joint lately?

i noticed a big changed in my steering after i did mine.
            Yes. The lower ball joints are almost 2 years old, the tie rods and UBJs are from this summer.
            MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

At what speed about does it shake?

Comment

Inner tie rod, bushings on steering rack, upper ball joint(s)

First things that come to miind
                Originally posted by wed3k
                im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

I'm gunna have to say the alignment and plus the wind making it go all over the road IMO

Comment

Your tires might be bad. Rotate your tires it might help.

Comment

could be a multitude of things first i would check tire pressure, then tread condition, steering angle(wheels and steering wheel pointing the same direction)

Jack car up and push the front wheel toward and away from the car with your hands at the 3 oclock and 9 oclock positions. if it has play it could be the inner or outer tie rod, or the wheel bearing in some cases but not often.

if you push at the 12 oclock and 6 oclock areas then you can see if the lower ball joint or the upper arm/joint has any freeplay.

and last but not least if everything is good then it is alignment or structural damage
                      ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

its a small chance it can cause your problem,

but do you have the right tire pressure?
                        RIP 4/23/12...lets not forget, the 88" Z31 turbo, are my dailys

Comment

Originally posted by jewelproject View Post
                          its a small chance it can cause your problem,

but do you have the right tire pressure?
                          I was about to reply the same thing. Incorrect tire pressure can even cause a car with perfect alignment to drift to one side.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                          JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Working...
                          X