Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

A/C compressor recommendation ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C compressor recommendation ???

My A/C system is original system converted to R134a. I didn't use A/C for last two month, but when I turned it on last week, it didn't cool down.
    Today, I checked system pressure and is reading 0 psi. Evacuated system and checked for leaks, and found there is a leak some place.
    Since I am planning and building an engine for the car, I will replace components/parts on A/C as well at the same time.

For compressor:
    Local parts store wants $200 to 300 for Everco with 3 month warranty.
    Online A/C parts store wants $195 for reman. with 12 month warranty.
    One store on eBay wants less than $100 for Ready-Aire with ??? warranty.

My question is if any one has suggestion or recommendation on which brand to go with.
    A&P-IA

First you need to identify where the leak is; it may not be a problem with the compressor. If there is no refrigerant in the system, it will not engage the compressor clutch.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Thank you for your comment.

I know I need to find exact location of the leak. I also know the compressor assembly is 19 years old. I don't feel like doing the work now only to find out the compressor crapping out in the middle of summer. So, I am going to change compressor, expansion valve and drier with new/reman parts at this time. Hoping these parts will have better chance of lasting longer than 19 year old parts which was designed to work with R12 instead of R134a.

I am an FAA certified A&P, IA. I run my own shop. I know about turning wrenches for living but I don't know which brand/manufacture is better than the other when it comes to automobile A/C system.
      Last edited by oyajicool; 02-19-2012, 06:50 PM.
      A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
        Thank you for your comment.

I know I need to find exact location of the leak. I also know the compressor assembly is 19 years old. I don't feel like doing the work now only to find out the compressor crapping out in the middle of summer. So, I am going to change compressor, expansion valve and drier with new/reman parts at this time. Hoping these parts will have better chance of lasting longer than 19 year old parts which was designed to work with R12 instead of R134a.

I am an FAA certified A&P, IA. I ran my own shop. I know about turning wrenches for living but I don't know which brand/manufacture is better than the other when it comes to automobile A/C system.
        Well when you put 134a...did you do a performance check? You will see a bad compressor on the guages because the needle on the high side will be moving rapidly up and down. But when you did a pull into a vac before you put in your freon (hopefully you did) you would of saw a leak if it was big. But then after when you put in 1 lb of freon, you should of used a sniffer to find other leaks.

A aftermarket compressor isnt that great to a oem compressor...even with r134a. I replaced so many aftermarket compressors to know just to leave the oem one in there unless its bad. I sometimes go to the junkyards and pull OEM ones to replace the aftermarket ones.

I would of sourced out R12. There are cans on ebay from 15 dollars and above, many of them in the 25 dollar range.
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Conversion was done already when I bought the car. PO told me that there is light leak in the system when I bought it many years back. I have been checking and adding R134a once a year or whenever I felt like doing it. High side was always stable while low side would fluctuate with clutch function.

So what you are saying is that 19 year old OEM compressor is better than new/reman compressor. If that is the case, I don't mind keeping mine if it was not a leaker. At the same time, thinking of using 19 year old seal on the compressor is not appealing to me.

Yes, it was rather big leak. After pulling the system for 30 minutes to see how bad the leak, I turned off the pump. 10 minutes later, the gauges were reading 0 psi.
          Last edited by oyajicool; 02-19-2012, 07:15 PM.
          A&P-IA

Comment

Working...
          X