Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

want to put an A6* IM on my A1...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

want to put an A6* IM on my A1...

i have an f22a1 auto. i picked up an h22 head from the junkyard for a later project, but i want to use the manifold now. im a delivery driver and ive been on a mpg kick and been driving like a granny with a boost gauge.

first question is can i get better mpg's with that manifold?

i also picked up another set of butterflies that i made into a spacer. so basically it would be a6 runners, functional butterflies, spacer, h22 plenum and tb all port matched and cleaned up. will i have issues with the throttle cable?

i dont care if the iabs are functional or not because im driving slow and auto. i just want them to be closed all the time. i currently dont really rev much past 3k rpms.

need to go to the junkyard to get the a6 runners, should i also get a pt6 or use my stock ecu or maybe a p12??

Get a pt6 for now or convert your pt3 to a pt6, and make the iabs functional. You only have to run one wire to the ecu, and one to a constant power source. Otherwise don't bother as your low end will be crap. The iabs are spring loaded open all the time, unless vacuum is constantly applied/held on the diaphram. I would also consider grabbing/installing a a6 cam to get the most out of your engine with a pt6.
    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

the only thing i want out of this motor is mpgs. ill be building another in the future.

would it be okay if i made the iabs stay closed? i was already planning to get the p12 to see how it did with a sportier and leaner fuel map.
      id rather keep an ecu that's made for my motor as in the A1 cam.

i currently get about 25 mpgs average being very conservative and i have no plans of revving it to well in IAB range. i doubt putting this IM setup will hurt me. i would think its more efficient than the stock A1 in terms of low end torque.

Comment

Stick with the PT3, as it's free, and the PT6 offers nothing unless you have the camshaft as well. The costs of the parts up-front need to be factored into MPG, in my opinion. I don't think the can will reduce MPG, as the ECU system controlling the injectors doesn't change. The "bigger"/"longer" intake setup shouldn't hurt MPG any either, and it will likely help some, the larger plenum means you can get a leaner mix with the same minimum gas amount.

Comment

If your not going to change the cam, and/or the ecu to a pt6, don't bother with a dual runner setup. Also the p12 doesn't per se run leaner, it just has a more advanced timing map, which you probably won't notice until you enter open loop mode (aka putting your foot into it). Doing the intake setup without the supporting mods will hurt gas mileage. Running an a1 cam and dual runner intake setup with a pt6 is better then running a1 cam and dual runner setup on a pt3. If you want maximum gas mileage with your a1 cam, keep the a1 intake, and the pt3 ecu/or get a p12, although the p12 will probably hurt gas mileage compared to the pt3.
          Last edited by cloudasc; 06-25-2012, 01:29 AM.

Comment

When I changed to the h23 IM + PT6 ecu (with IAB's operational) I noticed more power up top AND better mileage just cruising. When I put the a6 cam in a month later my mpg's dropped slightly. This was my experience so not sure what yours will be.
            My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
              When I changed to the h23 IM + PT6 ecu (with IAB's operational) I noticed more power up top AND better mileage just cruising. When I put the a6 cam in a month later my mpg's dropped slightly. This was my experience so not sure what yours will be.
              that's what i wanted to here. i wanted to make sure the ecu wouldn't be dumping out to much fuel for the little cam, making it run worse. i figured the A1 cam is less aggressive, therefore requires less fuel. my IM setup compared to the a1, should have lots more volume and longer runners resulting in more low end power. not mention it'll be nice and smooth.

also ordered an egr block-off plate, hoping it would increase mpg slightly theoretically and im in VA w/o emissions. was planning to sandwich in the plate and jb weld the runners to delete those egr holes.

also are the h23 runners longer that the A6? would it be better for my goals to go h23 if i have the option. i will be getting a PT6.

Comment

The H23A1 runners are 12.5" long and the F22A6 runners are 12" long. I know this is beyond the scope of your question but I can't speak to the F20A/F22B DOHC runners lengths found in Japanese engines but they are also the same design.
                This thread is the one I got my information from:
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=12927

With .5" longer of a runner the H23A1 manifold would be the ideal setup for fuel economy. The longer runners will promote flow better down low to allow the engine to produce more torque.
                My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Put your gutted IAB plate UNDER the operational IAB's. This effectively increases your runner length 1" promoting better lower-end efficiency which is what you are looking for.
                  My Member's Ride Thread

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85 View Post
                    Put your gutted IAB plate UNDER the operational IAB's. This effectively increases your runner length 1" promoting better lower-end efficiency which is what you are looking for.
                    people were saying that it might create weird flow issues with the iabs on top. but i guess what you said does make sense, lengthening the runners. so tomorrow i will hit the junkyard to find an auto pt6 and an h23 IM if i can find it. if not ill get the a6 IM.

you guys are all very helpful.

Comment

Yeah, look for the H23 IM as it would be preferable because of its larger plenum.
                      My Member's Ride Thread

Comment

Originally posted by cloudasc View Post
                        If your not going to change the cam, and/or the ecu to a pt6, don't bother with a dual runner setup. Also the p12 doesn't per say run leaner, it just has a more advanced timing map, which you probably won't notice until you enter open loop mode (aka putting your foot into it). Doing the intake setup without the supporting mods will hurt gas mileage. Running an a1 cam and dual runner intake setup with a pt6 is better then running a1 cam and dual runner setup on a pt3. If you want maximum gas mileage with your a1 cam, keep the a1 intake, and the pt3 ecu/or get a p12, although the p12 will probably hurt gas mileage compared to the pt3.
                        ha ha ha... you said PER SAY... ROFLMAO, its PER SE sorry someone had to say it. I'm telling Deev, lol

but on a more serious note X2 on the info, our cars use a Speed density setup which is combination of a MAP sensor and IAT sensor. A larger plenum and runners means more air. The map senses this and tells the ECU the ECU in turn commands more fuel. It may not be a huge amount but A6 with a pt3 will actually hurt your MPG
                        Last edited by Nyne521; 07-01-2012, 09:06 PM.

MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188701

Comment

Originally posted by Nyne521 View Post
                          It may not be a huge amount but A6 with a pt3 will actually hurt your MGP
                          Hahah you said MGP...

MGP
                          From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MGP may refer to:

Music
                          Melodi Grand Prix, the Norwegian Eurovision Song Contest selection.
                          Dansk Melodi Grand Prix (Dansk MGP), the Danish Eurovision Song Contest selection.
                          MGP Nordic,
                          - the Scandinavian version of Junior Eurovision Song Contest MGP Junior (Denmark),
                          -Danish Junior song contest that selects the entry to represent Norway in the annual MGP Nordic
                          Melodi Grand Prix Junior or MGP jr., Norwegian Junior song contest that selects the entry to represent Norway in the annual MGP Nordic

Music Genome Project

Sports
                          Malaysian Grand Prix, a Grand Prix for the Formula One automobile racing series held at the Sepang International Circuit
                          Manx Grand Prix, motorcycle races are held on the Isle of Man
                          Morten Gamst Pedersen, a Norwegian football player for Blackburn Rovers F.C.

Others
                          MagicPoint
                          Manufactured Gas Plant
                          Mark Goodson Productions, production company owned by Mark Goodson.
                          Mathematics Genealogy Project
                          Matrix gla protein
                          Mongoose Publishing
                          Movie gallery post
                          Peruvian Navy (Marina de Guerra del Perú)
                          MGP submachine gun
                          Maharashtrawadi Gomantak Party, a political party in Goa, India
                          Mera Gao Micro Grid Power, a social enterprise in India providing electric lighting to off-grid villages.

I think you were referring to MPG, or Miles per Gallon.
                          Last edited by cloudasc; 06-25-2012, 12:14 AM.

Comment

just got back from the junkyard with some success.

got a 95 Legend sedan lip after returning the 92 coupe lip that didnt fit my cb.

they had 2 preludes both with a1's and p12's still there but didnt get those. only found one a6 that was in a 91 auto se but the ecu was gone. brought the whole manifold to the front and they marked the tb, plenum, runners, and egr. so i took that crap off and left with just the runners and spacer. $10 for the butterflies and like $30 for the runners. she said tb would have been like $40 and egr would have been like $25.

when i go to put the manifold in, ill have the black box and wire it in but i guess just put pink wire to ground to keep IABs closed.

bout to port the runners and slap it all together!

Comment

Read this: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=iab+black+box

As for your pt6 issue, you should really look at my signature, especially if you know someone who can solder.

As for porting the intake, there's not much if any gain to be had by doing so, unless you plan on having the intake side of the head ported to match. Honestly you would be better off getting your throttlebody maxbore'd.

And remember more air = more fuel.
                              Last edited by cloudasc; 06-26-2012, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X