Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

ECT sensor - H22 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECT sensor - H22 swap

Hi cb7tuner,

I recently swapped an h22 into my cb7, and am having trouble with the ECT sensor.

I have my fan switches hooked up properly (green plugs) to the thermostat housing and front water neck. The grey connector is hooked to the ECT sensor under the distributor. The problem Im having is when the sensor is plugged in, the car runs like complete garbage. Barely idles, rich, etc. If it is unplugged it idles great and we are able to drive it around fine (obviously not driving it aggressively since its in limp mode). I have swapped the ECT sensor out for a brand new one, but the car still runs like crap as soon as its plugged in. One option I thought might work is wiring directly to the ecu, bypassing the main harness.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

you sure its the right connector? also, did you get an aftermarket part or oem part?
    COUPE K24

Comment

Theres a few connectors that are the same, Make sure your plugging the right one in.

1992 Accord EX Coupe >http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...00#post3060200
      Originally posted by keepinitclean
      I give it 2 weeks before you sell it.

Comment

do you have a CEL? what are all the codes? as stated above you could have something plugged into something else

Comment

Im sure its the right plug since the plug wires are blue/green and yellow/green. The ECT pinout on the ECU indicates those colors.

The part is an aftermarket part.

The only code Im throwing is when its unplugged. If I plug it in the code goes away, but I cant leave it plugged in obviously.

Thanks for the suggestions. I should also mention the plug itself was damaged on the accords harness, so I spliced the new plug from the H22 in its place. I double checked my woring on that as well since the H22s pigtail colors are slightly different.

Comment

Bump.

Im still baffled by this problem. I checked the wiring as per the honda manual. I checked the yellow/green to ground and was getting 3.6 volts. I then checked yellow/green to green/white and was getting the same 3.6 volts. I probed the back of the ecu (d13 and d22) and it was also 3.6 volts.

I even tried splicing yellow/green right at the ecu plug straight to the sensor and using the green/white as ground on a new plug with no good results.

Here is a pic to ensure that I have the correct wires:

Just to restate - when the plug isnt plugged in the car runs smooth as butter. Im aware that its in limp mode with no ECT sensor input. When I try to plug in the ECT plug, the car runs extremely terrible. Bucking, barely idling, and almost sounds like its running on 2 cylinders.

thanks for any input guys

Comment

Maybe the ECT sensor is bad. Your should get varying OHMs based on the temp.
              I think there was a thread somewhere on here that stated the exact numbers but at 50 this am mine was reading 3.6 last night at 80 it was 1.7.
              So I assume mine is working.

steve

Comment

I dont think its bad, seeing as Ive replaced it. I tested the ohm rating on it and it was reading .910k with the coolant being ~90-100 degrees. That matched up with the chart I saw for it.

Comment

Perhaps ghost accord or deevs have an idea of what might be happening? Ive run out of ideas to try. Is 3.6 within voltage tolerance for those wires? Honda manual calls for 5v.
                  Last edited by SilkyCB; 10-22-2012, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Did you adjust the base idle. If you say it is running rich might have something to do with that. air/fuel mixture.
                    Just suggesting.

steve

Comment

Base idle is set. Matter of fact its higher than it should be. I dont think base idle is causing the issue. It runs BAD with the ect plugged in.

Comment

As previously mentioned, maybe the new sensor was bad from square one.

Also, try checking resistance on the wiring harness between the sensor and the ecu. Maybe you have a shitty wire somewhere.
                        Originally posted by wed3k
                        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

To check the thermistor you need to check the resistance between the two contacts on the sensor. You should see between 200-400 Ohms, if not replace the sensor. Even new sensors can fail out of the box.

Verify that you are only seeing 3.6v at the ECU. If you are it could be an ECU issue. If you know someone with an ECU you can try that would be a help.

What ECU are you using?
                          MR Thread
                          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Im using the p13. How would I measure 3.6 at the ecu?

Comment

3.6v from the ECU is not what you want. You want to see 5v at both the sensor and the ECU on the (+) wire. Sorry I left that out!

You need to back probe the ECU @ pins D13 (+5v) & D22 (-).
                              MR Thread
                              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X