Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

starter signal issue please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter signal issue please help!

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with starting my car. I can start it by popping the clutch by a roll start. I've replaced the battery and I've replaced the starter. I checked the voltage at all related fuses and the one that is showing nothing is the starter signal fuse 7.5 amp located under the dash at the drivers kick panel. I've replaced that fuse 2 times but both were good. I tested the sides of the fuse with a multi meter and I'm not getting any voltage at any of the 2 sides. Doesn't matter if the car is ignition switch off, on or car running (once clutch popped) Does this mean that the ignition switch is bad? I've never had a problem before and it just started last night. The car is a 91 4 door Honda accord 2.2 fully stock. Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks

I would check the output from the main relay, then input to the main relay, then at the very least your ignition switch at the end of the line. If you need schematics send me a PM. I sometimes miss threads and I am not the best at going back and posting up info if I forget about it.

Comment

The main relay deals with the fuel pump. If it will run with a push start, it's not the main relay.

I had an issue like that years ago, and after replacing the starter and battery, I discovered that the problem was due to corrosion on my battery cables. I cleaned the connections, and all was fine again. Check/clean/tighten all battery connections and grounds.

If the battery and ground connections aren't the issue, then look at the ignition switch.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I'm having the same issue this fellow had
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192639

I noticed after reading around on here that it can be the neutral safety switch, cause I saw 2 blue pieces of plastic on the floor. I guess I will use the paper clip trick first to see if it cranks up?

Comment

Right after I bought mine back in February I had the same thing happen. I replaced the starter as you did and it still didn't turn over. While I was tracing the wires that go to the starter I found it had a heavily corroded ground wire. I cleaned it off with a wire brush, put a little grease on it, put the bolt back through it and it started right up.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by 2tonecoupegrl View Post
            Thanks for the quick reply guys. I'm having the same issue this fellow had
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192639

I noticed after reading around on here that it can be the neutral safety switch, cause I saw 2 blue pieces of plastic on the floor. I guess I will use the paper clip trick first to see if it cranks up?
            That might be the pin that pushes the neutral safety switch in.
            Try the paper clip and if it starts replace the pin.

Comment

If all else fails you can always run a push button pretty easy. Wire from pos terminal to button and another from button to the small wire on starter.

Comment

Originally posted by ferenza View Post
                That might be the pin that pushes the neutral safety switch in.
                Try the paper clip and if it starts replace the pin.
                I tried that and it wont start I even took it off the clutch bracket and took a paper clip and connected the 2 and still nothing. I'm not getting voltage to the starter at the signal wire either.

Originally posted by DemoDerby112 View Post
                If all else fails you can always run a push button pretty easy. Wire from pos terminal to button and another from button to the small wire on starter.
                I thought about doing that (running a hard wire) with a momentary push button, I had that in my s14

Originally posted by 2winRB25 View Post
                Right after I bought mine back in February I had the same thing happen. I replaced the starter as you did and it still didn't turn over. While I was tracing the wires that go to the starter I found it had a heavily corroded ground wire. I cleaned it off with a wire brush, put a little grease on it, put the bolt back through it and it started right up.
                Hey, I checked all the terminals and they were ok.

Comment

Not only the battery terminals but follow the ground cable off the battery to where it bolts to the chassis/unibody.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to do the same for the positive side either.

Also go through both fuse boxes (in car and under hood) and make sure no fuses are blown.

By the way, I have an S14 too! I have a white 1997 with an RB25DET from an R33 Skyline.
                  Last edited by 2winRB25; 07-07-2013, 03:40 PM.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Hey, yeah I checked every single thing I could think to. Since the db7 is my daily I needed get her fixed asap. I ended up by-passing the starter signal wire and running a hardwire setup with a super duty momentary ignition switch. She's back to starting like a champ now (plus since I ended up running the switch its now hidden) so that's kinda cool.

I saw your s/n and thought hey skyline motor... that's cool Kouki's are nice front ends I also have a 2 tone coupe IE my s/n LOL

Comment

Thanks to everyone who helped. I really appreciate the quick posts

Comment

Hey, yeah I checked every single thing I could think to. Since the db7 is my daily I needed get her fixed asap. I ended up by-passing the starter signal wire and running a hardwire setup with a super duty momentary ignition switch. She's back to starting like a champ now (plus since I ended up running the switch its now hidden) so that's kinda cool.

I saw your s/n and thought hey skyline motor... that's cool Kouki's are nice front ends I also have a 2 tone coupe IE my s/n LOL
                        Thats cool you at least got it running until you can find the problem.

And yeah, My 240 isn't anything special other than the motor. Its just a stock RB25DET with the boost turned up a little. Bone stock other than that. Looks bone stock too which is cool because people under estimate it on the street. When it breaks loose at the end of second and they hear the whistle they realize what they have ran across.

Comment

Yeah I also left the neutral safety switch out since I no longer need it and always keep the shifter in zero gear, took the 7.5 fuse out of the SJC and moved the OEM starter signal wire away and wrapped safe. Another cool thing about the way its setup now is it will reduce lifeware of everything clutch related.

stock/sleeper is good for messing with people, then you let it rip. Are you running around 12psi?

Comment

Yeah I also left the neutral safety switch out since I no longer need it and always keep the shifter in zero gear, took the 7.5 fuse out of the SJC and moved the OEM starter signal wire away and wrapped safe. Another cool thing about the way its setup now is it will reduce lifeware of everything clutch related.

stock/sleeper is good for messing with people, then you let it rip. Are you running around 12psi?
                            Yeah, 13psi. Had it at 14.5 for a while.

Comment

Pretty good, just watch the rpm levels... 6250 is choice

Comment

Working...
                              X