Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Compress Clutch & Condenser Fan broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compress Clutch & Condenser Fan broken

My first post, so here goes...So I am trying to fix my A/C...my 93 LX is converted to R134. For the fan- I have already jumped the battery directly to the condenser fan, and it worked!

So off to check the relays (next to window washer fill). So....I am a dummy. I need pics/videos and words to do most troubleshooting. I have located the relays, but don't no the first thing on how to step-by-step test them! Another thing, when I was looking up replacement relays from auto zone, etc; it kept showing me these square black ones that definitely not look like the round silver ones I found...what gives?

My compressor does not clutch in when the car is running with A/C button on (and green light lit). I was wondering if there was a way I could paper clip a relay or something to force the compressor to clutch in to see if it works. One post said I could do that, but no pics or location description.

BTW, I did find info for checking 12V were coming into the pressure switch, but was wondering what do I do to check the switch itself. YES, also I did fill the system with what seemed like a half can of R134, because the rest did not seem to want to go in. Thanks for helping a first timer out....Cheers

Who did the conversion?

Did you add "half a can" while it was running with a set of gauges connected?

What made you think it needed more?

And, did you know that if its overfilled, the pressure switch won't allow the compressor to engage?
    Last edited by GXZ; 08-20-2013, 02:33 PM.
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Additionally, it makes me feel good to call someone a cunt if they don't say "thank you".

So no matter what, I win. Selfish reasons.

Comment

Thanks gxz

In answer to you queries....

1- I don't know who did the conversion

2- Was told if you suspected R-134 to be low (because of leak, etc.), you could use some real A/c gauges (which indicated it was low), and since my a/c was turning on (no condenser fan, no compressor clutch in, and no cool air), my friend said to put a little bit of freon in to see if the compressor clutched in, and I got cool air, but no joy.

3-NO, I did not know the pressure switch would not allow clutch in if overfilled. Reading the gauges, it was not up to was needed to be considered full.

thanks for the insights, but do you have any advice on the reat of my questions? The test points/jumper instructions? Take care.

Comment

I would take it to a professional. When the a/c clutch is not spinning the low side gauge should be peaked and buried in the red like it is over filled. What were the high and low pressure readings?

I personally have had my cabin air sensor go bad and that kept my compressor from engaging.

Comment

I would like to know how they did the conversion...You have to make sure you DRAIN all the oil out as the r12/134 oil turns it into a greenish/yellow gunk (Not fun to clean) clogging up everything. I just bought an r134 compressor, new condensor and ac drier with the fittings that change out the r12 fittings.

Easy way to check the compressor relay is to find a similar one in your engine bay and swap it around. Quick and easy test. I would start with that. You should also be able to cycle the clutch manually by voltage.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

@NAiL05...I am a beginner...I understand switching out one relay for another, but how do I "cycle the clutch manually by voltage"? Could you please explain this for this old idiot....Thanks Man....Cheers

Comment

http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/m...00/26-400.html

The above is a link to the A/C section of the factory manual. It gives you every detail to test/rebuild/replace.

Forgot to add, sometimes those parts websites use "stock" photos. So the part you may be ordering may not look like the picture. Usually this is stated in a disclaimer somewhere.
              Last edited by asleepz; 08-21-2013, 08:44 PM. Reason: afterthought
              1992 Accord LX CB9 149K Stock
              2014 F350 Platinum CCSB SRW

Comment

Before anything, OR jumping anything, first thing first. Did the car cool before having to fix it? If the car stopped cooling, the unplug the pressure switch and see if there is power coming to it. If yes then fuse is good, then the wire going to the compressor (look hard enough and you will see it) and check to see if it has power if yes then compressor is shot, if not then relay might just be burnt.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalpop View Post
                  Before anything, OR jumping anything, first thing first. Did the car cool before having to fix it? If the car stopped cooling, the unplug the pressure switch and see if there is power coming to it. If yes then fuse is good, then the wire going to the compressor (look hard enough and you will see it) and check to see if it has power if yes then compressor is shot, if not then relay might just be burnt.
                  I'm sorry but this is really bad advise. For proper troubleshooting techniques please use the link I provided.
                  1992 Accord LX CB9 149K Stock
                  2014 F350 Platinum CCSB SRW

Comment

Hey im sorry you think its bad advise, but ive been a mechanic for 7 years and in my experience this is the fastest way to see whats malfunctioning. Im just trying to help.

Comment

@ Everyone...THANKS!

Thanks for all of your help & experience...it has been a boon to my beginner's bones....Catch ya all later. Fred

Comment

Working...
                      X