Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

cb9 rear 5 lug conversion question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cb9 rear 5 lug conversion question

Ok i have read everything on this site about the 5 lug conversion and i know that for the cb9 i need to convert to the sedan rear spindles. Here is where i am lost it is not well said or just crap info but i dont know do i need the whole rear subframe or just the rear hub assemby. I need some help so i can finish getting my parts to do this swap lol

Whatever is readilly available to u. Most times people that do the x memeber as well is for the reason of getting a rear sway bar. And possibly upgrading after. As far as the lx and dx rear x members go they don't have holes for a rear sway. U can get away with spindles. I went that route on my coupe on my sedan I did whole rear end inc x member.
    <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Ok so i dont need the rear sub frame for my wagon (cb9) someone said i would because there was 50mm difference in trailing arm length that is what is confusing me

Comment

You are either understanding what many of my posts have said, or someone is confusing you with incorrect information.

First, understand that swapping knuckles is, in no way, required for a 5-lug conversion. The only reason you would need to swap knuckles is if you have drums and want to have disc brakes. If you have 4-lug drum brakes and want to change to 5-lug discs then the necessity for a knuckle that can mount a caliper drives the need for a knuckle swap, not the number of lug studs that protrude from the hub.

There is a difference in the wagon rear knuckle from the sedan/coupe rear knuckle, not the trailing arm length that you've suggested. That difference is the width in which the rear lower control arms are spaced apart which is 30mm wider on the wagon. That width is also apparent in the wagon's rear crossmember that spaces the control arms further apart an equal amount. In addition to the '91-'93 wagon using this wider dimension, so too does the '94-'97 Accord, '97-'99 CL, 92-'94 Vigor and '95-'98 TL. If a '91 LX/EX or '92/'93 LX wagon owner wanted disc brakes then they would either have to swap rear knuckles with a '92-'93 EX wagon or use any of the models I suggested before. Before making a purchase understand that the axle post that the rear hub sits on is about 30mm longer on the Vigor and TL rear knuckles making them less ideal choices unless you're willing to swap out with the post on your current CB knuckle.

If you look at da9b16's 5-lug conversion thread you can see that swapping to 5-lug does not require you to use disc brakes in the rear.

To say that the information here is not well said when you also claim to have read everything on the site is a bit insulting. You clearly didn't read the information well. This isn't terribly offensive coming from someone who ended a technical question with an unexplained "lol", though.

Originally posted by tommi View Post
        Whatever is readilly available to u. Most times people that do the x memeber as well is for the reason of getting a rear sway bar. And possibly upgrading after. As far as the lx and dx rear x members go they don't have holes for a rear sway. U can get away with spindles. I went that route on my coupe on my sedan I did whole rear end inc x member.
        The LX wagons did have sway bars so that isn't really applicable to wagon owners.
        Last edited by Jarrett; 02-12-2014, 12:55 AM.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I have read this stuff a few times and information on the wagons is kinda mixed in with the cb7 and it is not very clear to me at least ( maybe that is what i should have said) sorry if anyone took it as offensive. I am not trying to be spoon feed info i have looked it up on multiple sites and info for wagons is limited at best in my opinion. As for the lol i cant remember so what went through my head wasnt very funny. I understand now that i can just replace the spindles, but if i want disc in the rear i need the hub. Thank you for clarifying this for me. Once again sorry to have offened.

Comment

You seem to have misread it again.

If you want discs you need a rear disc knuckle. If you only want to have a 5-lug rear then you just need the '97-'01 Prelude hub.

Again, check out da9b16's 5-lug DIY thread.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

So the wagon rear spindles are the same as the sedans and coupes. I read that u had to change the spindles on the wagons so u could use the prelude wheel bearings. I try and figure out all the technical i can sometime in posts information is not clear to me but i do have vision and i am trying to do all the work myself all the way to my engine swap. I dont do much hardcore mechanical I do automotive upholstery and convertible tops for a living. So some understanding would be nice i dont ask things without searching first I asked for clarification wich i got thank you all for the help. I look forward to my project and future help. One last question can i use the stock steel wheels off of the odyssey when i get the 5 lug done or will i need to go with 16 or 17" rims.i believe the stock steels are 15" but i might be mistaken om that
              Last edited by jasen klems; 02-12-2014, 01:45 AM.

Comment

Again, you're not understanding.

No, the wagon rear spindles are not the same as coupe/sedan models. The difference is exactly what I explained it to be earlier tonight.

Comment

Ok thank you again for the help i think i have it figured out now. All i need to do is swap the axle post ( spindle) and if i want rear disc breaks i need the rear knuckle. Thats what im seeing that you said if thats not it i will figure it out on my own ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                    Again, you're not understanding.

No, the wagon rear spindles are not the same as coupe/sedan models. The difference is exactly what I explained it to be earlier tonight.
                    Been searching and can't find a definite answer and I would like do a disc swap in my wagon its just I don't know what parts to use. Wagon EX's are no where to be found where I am and you were saying something about how 94-97 knuckles being the same size and that's what I'm looking for something that will drop right in an be OEM spec. However I saw that the part numbers for the 91-93 EX wagons were different than 94-97 Accords.
                    “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
                    ― Jeremy Clarkson

Very first tear down and rebuild. vvv
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Current Build, F23 block F22b dohc head:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203144

Comment

Originally posted by jasen klems View Post
                      Ok thank you again for the help i think i have it figured out now. All i need to do is swap the axle post ( spindle) and if i want rear disc breaks i need the rear knuckle. Thats what im seeing that you said if thats not it i will figure it out on my own ok.
                      Perfect. I'd try the Prelude hub and nut before swapping the axle post out first just to see if you're comfortable with the amount of threads that it catches. I've heard of some people using shorter nuts to make it work as well.

Comment

There is a difference in the post as well. The spindle is larger on the CB9 knuckles. There is one fellow on this board who said he machined new spindle posts to work perfectly with the prelude hubs and pressed them into the stock knuckles. Unless you are a machinist it wouldn't be worth the money spent to get it done.

I helped a friend swap a 93 EX coupe rear crossmember and knuckles onto his wagon, not too bad of a job.
                        1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

So I just ran into this problem (finally) doing the rear end of my 92 LX wagon. the prelude hubs won't fit over the spindle (OD evidently is different from the sedan/coupe).

I don't really feel the need to convert to disks, so does the knuckle swap over, or do I have to change a whole bunch of stuff? I'll keep digging around for the answer, but if someone can just let me know with a simple yes/no, that'd save me the trouble of dealing with the less-than-helpful search function here...

Comment

Will which knuckle swap over? The CB sedan/coupe knuckle? If that's what you're referring to, it's not a direct swap. The wagon knuckle spaces the rear lower control arms apart by 30mm wider over the coupe/sedan knuckles to match the increased spacing in the rear crossmember. If you put the coupe/sedan rear knuckle on, it will cause the control arms to be angled and bind the bushings.

If you have a rear drum wagon and want rear discs, you should get '94-'97 Accord coupe/sedan rear disc knuckles. This will solve your spacing issue as the 30mm increase was carried through all body types in that generation.

This information directly contradicts some incorrect information I posted above a few years ago. I was not aware of the spindle diameter being larger on the CE chassis Accords at the time and thought people who raised the issue must have been running into other issues. I was wrong. I kind of acted like an ass, too. Anyway, please clarify what question you're asking so we may better help you.

Comment

Thanks for the expedient reply

So everything is apart, but the prelude hub won't fit on the post. OD of the post is larger than the ID of the prelude bearing. I don't want to go through the hassle of a disk swap, and want a "path of least resistance" solution to getting this 5 lug swap done.

I just re-read this thread, looked around a bit, and it seems like there's a possibility of just swapping out the post? If not, the CD5 knuckle is a direct swap, and will allow me to use the prelude hubs and CRV drums?

Hope that clarified. Also, props for calling yourself out for earlier. It's nice to see that kind of stuff happen on the internet .

Comment

Working...
                              X