Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car turns over but won't start sometimes, but will pop start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car turns over but won't start sometimes, but will pop start.

As simple as the the title states, the car starts and runs fine, just every once in a while it won't fire up, I discovered today it will pop start non problem when nit won't fire.

It does have what looks like an alarm close to the fuse box in the drivers kick panel, this alarm box has 2 switches one is momentary, labeled valet disarm. The other is labeled beep on and beep off.

There is also no interior light or cigarette lighter, I checked the fuse for that and it was missing, and the dash fuses were good. Also the passenger window fuse is missing but still works.

Does anyone have any Ideas, or should I have the car inspected by a good automotive wiring technician or alrm/stereo shop.

My family and several friends have had Hondas and I know my way around them mechanically, I'm just scared of wiring.

I also tried a Google search but found nothing relevant to my situation only pop start cases I found people's starter wouldn't engage.

Also yeah I'm new here here's a pic of my car

The forester xt is also mine but tired, so I bought the honda to drive while I save money to fix it up

Last edited by joey_crandall; 07-12-2016, 08:59 PM.

It may be a main relay issue. Check that for bad soldering or corrosion.
    sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Ok, is like a typical relay and I can unplug it and pop the cover off with a small hobby flathead screwdriver?

Comment

Does it always start with a pop start? If so, the likely culprits are either your battery or your starter. Those are the only two things that are bypassed with a pop start. The main relay controls the fuel pump. If that wasn't working, the pop start wouldn't work. No fuel, no start.

Comment

Take it to your local parts store and have them check the starting and charging system.

Charged battery should be 12.6v. Could read 12.8 from surface charge.

Starter should draw 135-200amps [correct me if I'm wrong, this is an average]

Alternator should be 13.8-14.3v. 13.8v is low, but acceptable for charging under load.

Edit: dude or just jump your car and see if it starts. If it does start your battery is done.

Comment

Starter and battery look new, but I'll have them checked. today was the first time I pop started it. I tried it earlier in the day but I think I was going g to slow for 2nd gear for a pop start. However after the first pop start attempt it fired up with the key.

Comment

Oh I misread the original post, I was confused with what you meant by pop start. Okay yeah check battery and starter. Just because they look new doesn't mean they are. Actually check the items.
              sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Hmm. Look new doesn't mean anything really, man. I've had remanded starters fail on startup. It sounds to me like the starter might be sticking if it did start though. You can always hit it with a wrench

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                  Hmm. Look new doesn't mean anything really, man. I've had remanded starters fail on startup. It sounds to me like the starter might be sticking if it did start though. You can always hit it with a wrench

The starter spins the motor no problem so no wrench snaking necessary

Comment

When it doesnt start, does it just crank? Or does it fire up but once the key is let go it dies? Either way, id check for continuity from the ignition switch to where it plugs in by the fuse box. This would happen to me on cold mornings. It would just crank then eventually would turn over, after a few months it would turn over fine but die immediately. Or maybe the igniter is bad? Have you changed the distributor?

Comment

Originally posted by Dabsfordaze View Post
                      When it doesnt start, does it just crank? Or does it fire up but once the key is let go it dies? Either way, id check for continuity from the ignition switch to where it plugs in by the fuse box. This would happen to me on cold mornings. It would just crank then eventually would turn over, after a few months it would turn over fine but die immediately. Or maybe the igniter is bad? Have you changed the distributor?
                      I haven't looked at the distributor, the car will turn over all day with the key just won't fire up, it runs fine all day when nit starts, it's been doing it more latley, mainly when the car is wares up... so on gonna go with replacing the main relay first

Comment

You could always determine what it's not getting (spark or fuel) before randomly replacing parts...

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                          You could always determine what it's not getting (spark or fuel) before randomly replacing parts...
                          Yeah I'll check that when no get, would I be able to find a walk through for checking for fuel on thus website. I can't remember how to check for fuel

Comment

Crank the engine. Pull a spark plug. Sniff. If it smells like fuel, the engine is getting fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              Crank the engine. Pull a spark plug. Sniff. If it smells like fuel, the engine is getting fuel.
                              Thanks for the tip, I'll check that when I get hoelme,

One more thing, could bad spark plug tube grommets cause this?, I noticed cylinders 1 and 3 have a good bit of oil in them

Comment

Working...
                              X