Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Wheel offset/ brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel offset/ brakes

I have been contemplating doing a knuckle/spindle swap on my CB9 wagon. I follow Josh Papineau(@joshpapineau) on instagram and youtube and saw that he did an 05+ odyssey front and rear conversion using the 5x120 bolt pattern. Only problem is, older aftermarket rim support for this pattern is very limited/non existent. I don't know of any 5x100 honda patterns(worthless pattern in my book) and can't decide between 99-04 odyssey front or 97-01 prelude front. Not sure if there is a difference though since they are both 5x114.3. Would it be better to stick to the 4x114.3? What are your thoughts?

I'd stick with a 5x114.3 since you'll have the best selection of rim available.

Comment

The Honda Odyssey knuckles commonly used are from '95-'98 Odysseys and are 5x114.3 lug pattern. Either Josh was incorrect, or you misheard him.

The '95-'98 Odyssey/'96-'99 Isuzu Oasis/'98-'02 Accord V6/'99-'03 TL/'01-'03 CL all have knuckles that directly bolt in to the CB chassis without any modifications to the upper ball joints, lower control arms, axles or outer tie rod ends. Everything from the knuckle out can now adopt the parts from the chassis the knuckles came from. In fact, the only difference in the Odyssey/Oasis front knuckles from a '94-'97 Accord front knuckles are the hubs that are pressed into the wheel bearings. The only difference between the '94-'97 Accord front knuckles and the CB front knuckles are the lack of provisions for the upper ball joint dust cap on the newer models. So you can see pretty quickly how compatible they are. The CG Accord/TL/CL knuckles are similar dimensionally, but they have a larger wheel bearing that is now pressed in rather than bolted in like the previous models.

A further added bonus of all of these options is the brake rotor size. The Odyssey/Oasis/Accord comes with 11.1" rotors up front and larger single-piston caliper vs. your current 10.2" rotor. Beyond that, the TL and CL have 11.8" rotors with that same larger caliper. You can find them all day long at the junk yard or with people parting cars out on Craigslist.

For the rears, you're kind of in a pickle. The most straightforward solution is to find a set of '94-'97 Accord EX (for dsic brakes) sedan/coupe rear knuckles and buy a '97-'01 Prelude rear wheel hub/bearing to install onto it.

The explanation:

The larger spindle shaft that the wagon rear knuckle has does not allow the Prelude hub to install onto it. This is why you want your donor car to be a sedan or a coupe.

The CB9 wagon used the wider lateral spacing between the two rear control arms that the later Accords also adopted. This is why you want your donor car to be a '94-'97.

The drum knuckles of these models, as is the case with ours, does not have provisions for mounting a rear caliper. Whether your current car is drum or disc, or if you have a desire to upgrade, will determine your selection here. You can always get rear disc knuckles and not use that feature yet.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I find it weird though that when Josh installs the 5 lug conversion on his accord, he uses 04-06 Acura TL wheels. That generation uses the 5x120 lug pattern. I have an 06 accord 6 speed sedan, and the wheels on it are almost identical to the 02-03 Acura TL Type S wheels. The difference is very subtle. So if what I read is correct, you're saying I need to use a 1st generation odyssey front knuckle set and CD/CE accord trailing arms/knuckle with a BB6 prelude hub assembly? Right?

Comment

I think you have your Acura model specs swapped.

The 2004-2008 Acura TL is 5 x114.3

The 2009-2013 Acura TL is 5x120

The 2005-2012 RL is 5x120.

Hope that helps clarify the reason that he would have TL wheels on Odyssey knuckles.
          http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Originally posted by mysticskyline View Post
            So if what I read is correct, you're saying I need to use a 1st generation odyssey front knuckle set and CD/CE accord trailing arms/knuckle with a BB6 prelude hub assembly? Right?
            As long as we're being specific to the fact that the CD they come from is a 4-cylinder EX coupe or sedan, then yes. The CE Accord is the wagon and V6. The rear spindle on those is too large for the Prelude bearing to fit over. There are many DIYs on this site that cover the different parts you'll need in order to do the swap correctly.

Originally posted by SSMAccord View Post
            I think you have your Acura model specs swapped.

The 2004-2008 Acura TL is 5 x114.3

The 2009-2013 Acura TL is 5x120

The 2005-2012 RL is 5x120.

Hope that helps clarify the reason that he would have TL wheels on Odyssey knuckles.
            The 4th generation TL goes to 2014, but Bingo, otherwise. For what it's worth, they only produced 10,000 in 2014 because of the impending switchover to the TLX.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Are the trailing arms/knuckle a direct swap to the cb chassis? Ok, on the TL wheel offset. I was told by an owner/friend that had one(he thought it was). Now to see about oem parts for it all...

Comment

The trailing arms are the same.

Comment

That's great! Going to be fun getting all the parts! I compared Honda prices to autozone(no comparison in quality), and they are more than double.

Comment

Working...
                  X