Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Question about temp sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about temp sensor

The SENSOR that tells the ecu how much fuel it needs to start when cold or hot... i was cleaning out the engine bay and noticed the wire that attaches to the connector looked exposed i went to inspect it and it came completely off the connector... now my CEL wont come on at all when i turn the key to the on position.

Question is can i jump the 2 wires together?

I've read 2 different things about it.

1. you can do it as a temporary fix, it tells the ecu your engine is always hot. so if its cold it'll be hard to start.

2. Don't do it. It can cause damage to the ecu....

I know i need to fix it the right way, the wire with pigtail connector is like $10 on ebay, or i could cut one off at the junkyard, but my work schedule is pretty full at the moment and i dont know when i can get to the junkyard.
    Last edited by accordlove; 07-30-2017, 02:35 PM. Reason: typo... re worded for clarification

Hmm there is no one wire that tells the car how much fuel to give it. But it sounds like you are talking about the coolant temp. sensor wire. A picture would really hep here. As you mentioned you can't get to the junk yard your best bet is to de-pin the connector, take out the metal thing inside, re-crimp the wire to it again and plug it back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
      Hmm there is no one wire that tells the car how much fuel to give it. But it sounds like you are talking about the coolant temp. sensor wire. A picture would really hep here. As you mentioned you can't get to the junk yard your best bet is to de-pin the connector, take out the metal thing inside, re-crimp the wire to it again and plug it back in.
      yep thats what im talking about, it plugs into the upper radiator hose on the block. i can try that but the whole thing is pretty bad.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by accordlove View Post
          yep thats what im talking about, it plugs into the upper radiator hose on the block. i can try that but the whole thing is pretty bad.
          That is not the coolant temp sensor for the ECU. That is one of the coolant temp switches for the rad fans (ECT Switch B). It will have nothing to do with a no start or poor fueling issue.

The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor for the ECU is located up under the distributor.

You say that when you try ans start the car the check engine light doesn't come on at all? It will usually flash on for a couple seconds while the fuel pump primes. So it doesn't flash? Can you here the fuel pump prime?
          Last edited by GhostAccord; 07-30-2017, 02:52 PM.
          MR Thread
          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
            That is not the coolant temp sensor for the ECU. That is one of the coolant temp switches for the rad fans. It will have nothing to do with a no start or poor fueling issue.

The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor for the ECU is located up under the distributor.

You say that when you try ans start the car the check engine light doesn't come on at all? It will usually flash on for a couple seconds while the fuel pump primes. Does it do this?
            the fans still come on though lol, i think you're wrong.

but yeah no cel when i put the key in the ignition...

Comment

the fans still come on though lol, i think you're wrong.

but yeah no cel when i put the key in the ignition...
              Well you can think what you want, but I am right. There are two fan switches, A & B. The one you have pictured above is the secondary one, engine coolant temp switch B. The fan will still run off just one switch. Again this is not the reason for your no start.

Can you hear the fuel pump prime when you first turn the key? If you can't then you might want to start looking at the main relay or your ignition switch.

You will still want to fix that ECT fan switch connector as well.
              MR Thread
              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Which sensor?

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=107617

Comment

ok my bad... and she does start... first crank every time...

I JUST WANT TO FIX IT SO MY CEL WORKS AGAIN AND I CAN CHECK FOR CODES.

http://techauto.awardspace.com/ecu.html

I did everything on there ^ besides pull the ecu out and check the internals.

It shows on that ecu wiring chart that if any of the temp sensors are faulty it wont show a cel at all on the dash. i dont have a test light at the moment so i cant check the ecu at the pin connectors but im pretty sure its that wire since the cel used to come on before it happened.
                  Last edited by accordlove; 07-30-2017, 03:07 PM. Reason: typos yo

Comment

OK well if it starts up every time then all you are looking to do is replace that connector. Taking it out and removing the two pins as Raf99 suggested is your cheapest and quickest route.

Do not splice those two wires together. That could cause that circuit to be overloaded and possibly melt/burn out. They are not meant to see 5v at all times. That and your fan will probably run all the time.
                    MR Thread
                    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                      OK well if it starts up every time then all you are looking to do is replace that connector. Taking it out and removing the two pins as Raf99 suggested is your cheapest and quickest route.

Do not splice those two wires together. That could cause that circuit to be overloaded and possibly melt/burn out. They are not meant to see 5v at all times. That and your fan will probably run all the time.
                      ok thanks for all the help and quick replies.

i'll try to take it apart without breaking it, the lil white ring that goes on the inside came out when i unplugged it last and i still cant find it but it still plugs in without it

Comment

ok so taking it apart wasnt that easy, i didnt get it apart at all lol. i just took the signal wire and stripped it a lil bit then i stuck the wire to the prong on the sensor and shoved the connector over it to keep it in place and it works the fans kick on but i still dont have the CEL when i trun the key to ON.... im starting to think the led bulb in the cluster is burnt out.... but it was coming on when i first bought the car a couple weeks ago so idk. is there a fuse for any of the lights on the gauge cluster?

Comment

ok so apparently ect B (the one im having issues with) tells the fans to turn on after the engine is off or if ac is on? right? so if im deleting my ac does it matter? also, i read that the drivers side fan is ONLY supposed to come on when the ac is on. what confuses me about that is when the fans come on on their own, BOTH come on.. at the same time.... i got my new pig tail plug for the ect B off ebay (also works for the vtec solenoid on a k series apparently), wired it up and the fans come on with the engine off but the batt on with the ac button on.

im deleting the ac soon, just want to make sure my main fan will still work or if i should just leave the ac fan installed as it is....
                          Last edited by accordlove; 08-27-2017, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X