Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Steering wheel interchange?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering wheel interchange?

'91 EX wagon with airbag / cruise control - steering wheel is in excellent cosmetic condition, but it appears the high-density foam padding inside the outer cover has come loose from the steering wheel rim (if the wheel is gripped anywhere between about 10 and 2, that section of the outer cover will twist very easily). I'm concerned that the wheel cover will start to deteriorate or tear, so I'd like to start looking for a replacement wheel before it happens.

Not concerned about retaining the airbag (have an airbag delete resistor with a Momo wheel on our Miata), but I do want to keep the cruise control functional so I need a factory wheel with cruise switches that's a direct replacement for this one.

Anybody know if 90-91 LX/EX non-airbag coupe/sedan wheels or any similar year Civic/Integra cruise control wheels interchange?

I still have my oem wheel from a 93 EX canadian model if you want it. Has cruise and the airbag still in it. Ps. I'm in Canada.

Comment

I'm not certain but the 2nd Gen Acura Legend could work. In fact I've always wondered how difficult it might be to install one from the Legend and connect the missing steering wheel audio controls and pickup the absent cruise control cancel switch?

At the very least you could bring it to an auto upholstery shop and see what they could do? Ideally it would be nice to pad the rim thicker and recover it with stitched on leather...
      My Collection:
      93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
      00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
      04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Thanks for the offer on the Canadian wheel - expect shipping might be an issue, especially with the airbag. I'd really kind of like to go to a 90-91 non-airbag wheel if possible to get the thinner spokes and smaller hub pad, but I'll keep in mind if I can't turn anything up that will work down here.

Haven't had a Legend wheel off so I can't say for sure, but usually the various buttons on a steering wheel are connected to the body harness through either some sort of umbilical or via slip rings, either in the hub or on the upper column shaft. Either way, I think you'd probably have to swap the whole Legend column over to be able to make those connections.

Recovering the existing wheel is going to be problematic at best, and would likely require removing the leather-grained vinyl cover without destroying the inner padding, then somehow regluing the foam before stitching on a new cover.

Not certain which 90/91 Accords had them (maybe the SE's?), but Honda apparently did install a non-airbag leather covered wheel with cruise control buttons on some models - there's one for sale on eBay now that needs new leather. That wheel should work, but I'm not sure if the wiring connections for the cruse buttons are compatible......
        Last edited by oldcarguy6547; 12-06-2022, 04:48 PM.

Comment

That leather wheel is either an optional wheel from a lower trim level or the 91 SE wheel. The connections would be slightly different from the 92 reel connection.
          http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

It's just a guess, but I'd think there's a fair chance that the leads coming off the cruise switch on a non-airbag SE wheel would be the same colors as those on an airbag XE wheel from the same year. If the connectors between the wheel switches and the cable reel are different, it should be possible to pull a spare airbag wheel connector at P&P, extract the wires from the connector on the non airbag SE wheel and plug them into the proper sockets on an airbag wheel connector..

Are the steering column shaft and steering wheel hub the same on '91 airbag and non-airbag cars?
            Last edited by oldcarguy6547; 12-08-2022, 11:43 PM.

Comment

I think I have the solution to your problem!

My buddy Tyson who literally has a boatload of Acuras is in process of restoring a 95 Legend has a steering wheel out to a Texas company who specializes in steering wheel restorations.

I don't know about pricing but like everything else these days I'm guessing it won't be cheap. Still it could be worth it depending on how serious you are...

Craft Customs https://craftcustoms.com/
              My Collection:
              93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
              00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
              04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Comment

Working...
              X