Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

CB7 Cruise Control Not Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CB7 Cruise Control Not Working

I'm pretty new to this site so I hope I'm posting in the right section.
    I have a 1992 Accord EX 5 speed, and my cruise control has recently stopped working. The cruise main light is on when the button is pressed, and the green cruise light in the gauge cluster comes on when I press SET, but the cruise control does not actuate. The 7.5a cruise fuse is good. I do have vacuum pressure, no vacuum leaks. It's not the clutch or brake switch because the light in the cluster wouldn't come on if that were the case. I used the troubleshooting section in the Honda service manual to check various pins on the cruise control module connector under the dash, and everything checks out. Not too sure what else to check, besides checking for voltage at the CC actuator connector in the engine bay with the wheels moving, which I guess would rule out an open wire somewhere.
    Last edited by brent24hill; 10-02-2023, 06:53 PM.

Hey

So that CC unit inside is a giant diaphragm. When they get old they will leak and not hold the "air". The vacuum pulls on one side of the diaphragm and that in turn pulls on that extra throttle cable (or holds it in place).
    So.... see if you can find a way to see if that cable is moving at all.... If that cable is not moving, but you have vacuum, then the diaphragm is broken or the cable is stuck. I guess you could also.... pump some air into it to see if it holds air? or ..... put a vacuum on it and see if the cable moves ...

no wait... take the cable off on the throttle body side and push / pull on the wire. You should feel the air coming out of the nozzle side (where the vacuum hose attaches / put a balloon on the end ? *shrugs*. ) You get the point here.... need to test that diaphragm out.....inside the CC unit and also make sure that cable can move.

Comment

Ok, I will try that as soon as I get a chance. The only thing that puzzles me is that when I took the car to get the timing belt idler pulley replaced (made a whining noise), the cruise control worked just fine on the way there but did not work at all on the way back, and that was all in the same day. Could the shop that worked on it possibly have done something to it while swinging it out of the way?

Comment

*shrugs*...sure anything is possible. It could of been waiting to break and just moving it was the last straw. Or it could be fixable. You'll have to look.

Comment

Ok. I'll start looking into the diaphragm and testing it. I guess everything so far is pointing towards just replacing the unit, but we'll see. I appreciate the advice!

Comment

Likely just the buttons on your pedals that depress the switches. This become deformed over time. If deformed more than .020" or so, cruise will not work. Check the continuity of your pedal switches. The one on the brake is double pole, double throw. Open/cloed and Closed/open depending on if pedal is up or down.

Here, watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0yJroWv9c4

Comment

Make sure they didn't accidentally kink the cable that runs to the cruise control actuator. Since it runs right over the top of the timing belt cover they would have had to move it and may have carelessly draped it at a bad angle. It doesn't take much to kink the cable or the guide sleeve. The diaphragm pulls with a very, very gentle force and any excess resistance in the cable at all will make it not function. Hell, even being too cold (under about 35F) will make my 91's cruise stop working because of the grease in the cable stiffening up.

I don't have access to my car this week so I can't test this and my memory is fuzzy, but IIRC if you hold the throttle open at the engine you can then push the cruise control cable in and out without too much diaphragm resistance. Might have to actually take the CC unit off the cable. But definitely check that.

Comment

Working...
              X