OEM-style foglight project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM-style foglight project

Been tossing around the idea of making some foglight lenses and driving some LED lights behind them for an "OEM+" look/performance without paying a whole butt ton of money for poorly performing 25-year-old units. I don't know what the beam pattern is for the OEM lights, but from what I've gathered, it's pretty poor. I can do a LED array for a certain look, or an actual LED foglight unit for more function, depending on what can be achieved.

I guess I could cut out my bumper and use that as a contour for the lens; However, I'm thinking that using an actual foglight lens might be a better starting point.

However, buying a set of expensive foglights in order to avoid having to buy a set of expensive foglights is stupid. Is there anyone who has a cracked, broken, or otherwise mangled set of lenses that they have laying around that they might be willing to part with and donate to this project?

The foglight lenses are fluted on the inside and will require quite a bit of sanding and polishing in an are that doesn't have easy access. I don't know what 3D printing is capable of with clear acrylics, but getting a clear lens would be the best option. I will say that having the OEM mounting points would be a plus, too.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

on the back of the bumper cover is a template for what to cut out. other than that, make yourself your L & R plugs out of bondo and mdf, get your contours just right, or borrow some to use as molds and vacuum form some new lenses

Comment

Yeah I was thinking about vacuum forming acrylic; I have a bit of experience with the material, so we'll see how that goes. 'm going to have to play with thicknesses and see what works best; I also have a few ideas as far as style goes. As for creating bondo molds, I'm really not that desperate at this point; I'm going to see if anyone has a set of throwaway lenses that they're willing to part with on the cheap.

As of right now, I'm thinking it will be too complex to fabricate a separate light bucket; maybe factory mounting points could be incorporated if I can integrate them into the plug, so that the lens flanges would mount up to the factory points; that way, it could be a single piece with a single step process. maybe a second piece formed to fit over the back to protect the lens from getting dirty.

Either way, I'd really prefer having a lens as a starting point.

Comment

PM'd about driver side fog light assembly.

Edit: I'm losing my mind - figured out I sent it to someone else a few months ago. I apologize.
          Last edited by Fleetw00d; 03-31-2016, 01:39 AM.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
          X