HID Kit installed with Projectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HID Kit installed with Projectors

Well.... here's mud in the eye of everyone that claims projectors are garbage.

I just installed a pair of black housing projectors that were BRIGHTER than OEM integra projectors (which are, btw, actually made of a liquid)... with the stock halogen H3 bulbs.

In my quest for neverending uniqueness (and because I think true JDM lights are beyond overpriced, not to mention near impossible to install / align properly) I've added a custom McCulloch HID kit (9006 Ballast assembly; H3 6000K bulbs), custom front marker lights, MTec H1 high beams.... followed by a custom mount of a pair of OEM 96-97 Accord Ion fog lights.

Installation of the HID kits are relatively simple; I had mine custom made so if I ever go back to a stock headlight, all I need is different bulbs. On the highway it's brighter than a stock Cadillac Seville with HID projection.

McCulloch bulbs are NOT tinted or diffused in anyway... the bulb is completely clear, which means no light is filtered out by a blue coating. HID retrofit kits aren't really street legal, but you'll have no problem them as long as you take the time to align and focus the projectors properly.

Each one of these mods was completed seperately, which meant a total of 5 bumper removals (including my first, the windshield washer pump replacement). Removal of the bumper is actually not as hard as everyone makes it out to be... there's a few tricks to set yourself up for less work.

I priced JDM lights around $600... and for < $500 I got projectors and HID, which I'm convinced are MUCH brighter than JDMs would be anyway, not to mention giving me one of the most distinguishable front ends around. The only thing I've come next to in the last week that's been brighter is a BMW Z4... But hey
    nothing's perfect, right? The projector is a little dirty there, it's not actually scratched. Result of working on it for an hour I guess :P
    Last edited by 92Accord EX-R; 01-05-2004, 01:50 AM.

Sorry about the size, I could have sworn I'd saved changes to the size...

Comment

I deleted the original pic as it was ginormous... here's a more reasonable one ... Anyone looking for more info on projectors or HID let me know, I've done more research on it than I'll ever admit to...
      Attached Files

Comment

i never see the point of front-end pics of HID retrofits. all that shows us is that yes, the bulb lights up. show me some against the wall pics from 25' away. else, you'll never convince me that h3 projectors aren't crap to begin with.
        Once upon a time I took a joyride in a Huayra...

Comment

how long have you had these? i have the same type of "projectors" and i am very interested in getting this if it works.

Originally posted by fizzbob7
          first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
          Originally posted by ACC0RD22
          no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
          So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

Projectors have been installed 2 weeks, HID for about 1/2 that. I'll see what I can do for pics... take me a couple days because I don't have a digital camera that works.

Comment

yo, wat up EX-R...
              yeah i would like to see the difference in without the HID and
              with,
              and the cost of HID alone..
              how dificult was the conversion,
              aiight thanks
              Jason

email me if ya want ex-r...
              jasonb@maab.aorcentaf.af.mil

Comment

what is it your trying to prove?... H3 projectors will never be good... D2 Xenon projectors will always be the best, Halogen projectors 2nd (EXCEPT H1,H3)

Either do it rite or dont waste the time imo.. btw chief head on projector shots dont mean a thing, its not how bright it looks, its how bright it really is.

Comment

ya lets see some wall shots!!!

ive got the JDM headlights and the only complaint i have about them is the fact that they have a beam pattern designed for the left side of the road not the right!!
                  so i get flashed all the time

but with the H1 gold driving lights and the H4 silverstars(osram not sylvania) i can see realy well at night

i am gonna get another set of silverstars for my wifes car soon
                  but as far as i know osram does not make them only sylvania does so that sucks but oh well
                  lol

HID kicks ass wish i could afford it!!!

Robert Sartore
                  Kustom Audio Werx

1991 Honda Accord EX Sedan (FOR SALE)
                  Kaminari rear-sides/Blackwidow front/(I/H/E)/jdm head lights/red-clear tails/+more to come

Comment

I would like to see someone with projectors in an Accord with an HID kit be brighter than REAL JDM's with a HID kit. Even if you retrofitted the housing with Audi or BMW projectors and did an HID kit, they will not be brigher than real JDM headlights with a HID kit to the H4 capsule.
                    Adam - Retired OG member from '03
                    2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
                    2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
                    2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

Originally posted by rebels
                      I would like to see someone with projectors in an Accord with an HID kit be brighter than REAL JDM's with a HID kit. Even if you retrofitted the housing with Audi or BMW projectors and did an HID kit, they will not be brigher than real JDM headlights with a HID kit to the H4 capsule.
                      Bro, please dont say that because your 110% wrong, not only are JDM's not brighter than TRUE HID projecotrs, they only "GLARE" more which makes it seem brighter, not only will a tru D2 projector shined brighter to the road than those lamps ever will, they will also be alot brighter even head on.. depending on how u look at them.. so please dont be saying theyre brighter because they glare more that is not even a comparison.. JDM headlamps have absolutely ZERO performance gain to stock headlamps.. LET alone against XENON projectors.. not Halogen projectors. The Beam patten is the opposite way, and in no way affects the performance of the lamps..

Comment

Wow, for a group that's supposed to be supportive of each other... you guys can really rain on someone's parade, you know that? And in case anyone cares.... there's nothing JDM about my car. It was built at a Honda plant in Ohio, and I don't care. Since you opened it up though, I did an HID conversion because I wanted to be different. JDM is NOT different. How many people on here have JDM stuff vs. tiny legitimate enhancements to increase performance? JDM lights are NOT designed for use in USDM cars. And when was the last time a body kit gave more horsepower at the wheels? Anyone? Did your kit come with drag co-efficient comparisions?

Right.

You'll never see JDM lights on my car. That's just not me. It looks cool, but I'm more individual than that. Regardless of where YOU are, here doing what I've done has given me the best driving CB7 around (so say my mechanics, I'm not really done yet though).

I will post pictures ASAP of my useless and pointlessly weak H3 projector (which by the way, is actually the EXACT SAME AS ANY OTHER HID BULB BUT SMALLER) overpowering a stock H4 bulb. I don't have another CB7 to test against, you'll just have to take my word for it.

The point of my post was to show people that as much as everyone says projectors suck, I've had nothing but good things to say. Unless you've driven my car... with OEM headlights, Halogen projectors, and HID projectors, how bout we ease up on the "me" bashing, huh? Everything I've done to my car I've done and paid for myself, and I'm proud of it. I see function as more important than flash. Don't get me wrong, HID looks incredible from the outside... But it's a lot easier to do night driving with. I don't hate on the people that DO put wrench time into aesthetics, because I respect them for the effort. It's an Accord, and they love it. Nuff said. If you can't respect someone for just doing their own thing and not copying your car... Maybe next time I'll start a "bash the guy trying to be a little experimental" thread and save us a confusing title.

Comment

Originally posted by 92Accord EX-R
                          Wow, for a group that's supposed to be supportive of each other... you guys can really rain on someone's parade, you know that? And in case anyone cares.... there's nothing JDM about my car. It was built at a Honda plant in Ohio, and I don't care. Since you opened it up though, I did an HID conversion because I wanted to be different. JDM is NOT different. How many people on here have JDM stuff vs. tiny legitimate enhancements to increase performance? JDM lights are NOT designed for use in USDM cars. And when was the last time a body kit gave more horsepower at the wheels? Anyone? Did your kit come with drag co-efficient comparisions?

Right.

You'll never see JDM lights on my car. That's just not me. It looks cool, but I'm more individual than that. Regardless of where YOU are, here doing what I've done has given me the best driving CB7 around (so say my mechanics, I'm not really done yet though).

I will post pictures ASAP of my useless and pointlessly weak H3 projector (which by the way, is actually the EXACT SAME AS ANY OTHER HID BULB BUT SMALLER) overpowering a stock H4 bulb. I don't have another CB7 to test against, you'll just have to take my word for it.

The point of my post was to show people that as much as everyone says projectors suck, I've had nothing but good things to say. Unless you've driven my car... with OEM headlights, Halogen projectors, and HID projectors, how bout we ease up on the "me" bashing, huh? Everything I've done to my car I've done and paid for myself, and I'm proud of it. I see function as more important than flash. Don't get me wrong, HID looks incredible from the outside... But it's a lot easier to do night driving with. I don't hate on the people that DO put wrench time into aesthetics, because I respect them for the effort. It's an Accord, and they love it. Nuff said. If you can't respect someone for just doing their own thing and not copying your car... Maybe next time I'll start a "bash the guy trying to be a little experimental" thread and save us a confusing title.
                          I couldnt of said it better

Comment

Originally posted by 92Accord EX-R

Right.

exactly, uh huh......... i have the same projectors, and i was gona get some HIDS for them, but i ran out of money last year.. bummmer
                            H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

i've stopped preaching HID-correctness for quite some time now and i don't see the point of starting it up now. you can have stadium flood lights for all i care but show me some against-the-wall pics and let's see how good the pattern is. that's what determines "good" projector vs. bad ones. h3 bulbs have a horizontal filament. hid bulbs have a transverse plasma arc. the two designs weren't meant to work well.

h3 projectors get a bad rap because in the past, they've been nothing but crap. you changed the bulb, but you haven't changed the projector. if your projectors are putting out a crappy pattern to begin with, with the HID, your just putting out 3x brighter crap.
                              Once upon a time I took a joyride in a Huayra...

Comment

Working...
                              X