Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sound proofing, new headunit, wiring amps, glassing custom trunk ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sound proofing, new headunit, wiring amps, glassing custom trunk ...

So I thought I'd post this for all aspiring audio show-offs to see.

I've been running my amps off of either my Zune mp3 player or a portable cd player. Sounded decent actually, but I finally broke down and got another headunit.

Did have a mini pc running in the dash, but took it out b/c taking 3 mins to start up and get my music going then shut it down on a 15 min trip to work was a bit painful. It DID work while the pc was off for radio and cd playing, but the volume was way to low when it was off... but with this headunit I have line in so it's possibly going back in... but we'll see.

My plans are to

re-wire everything

do custom dash (may postpone) for future audio.video

switch from small 2pc 90-91 center trim to joined 92-93 console and add switches in the 4 switch holes.

Remove auto seatbelts and install racing harness belts (old belts now removed!)

coat 1-3 coats of Edead V3 (roll on) sound damping to entire interior (trunk mostly done with edead v1se mat)

instal new Clarion headunit with separate 1/2 din clarion 7 band eq

make custom trims with 4" alpine speakers molded on. may add pods now for guages since I'm going to end up wrapping the trim with suede.

Glass custom trunk. ^_^ will be wrapped in suede

Full interior stuff can be seen in my members ride thread, or the other thread in the appearance section:

wrapping interior in suede

before the teardown...

Trunk lid has already been filled with expanding foam/some edeadV1se (doesn't rattle)

Interior

Where I used to have the amps, false floor with blue tinted windows! was going to carpet and just leave the windows but didn't get that far

Getting stripped...

With Edead V3 roll-on, well, rolled on!

My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

interesting

Comment

I figured removing the seatbelts and the auto motors more than takes care of the weight of the sound insulation. I love this stuff, every part of the car I do makes a very noticable difference. Pure audio guys usually put WAY more on than I do, and I'm sure it's great but I am happy with the affect I've gotten so far.

Comment

forgot this one. You can see I went inside the frame where the belt motor was..

Comment

planning to do the headliner? most people don't seem to do that, but I think I'm going to.....

and I have a 50ft roll of eDead V1se and a 25 foot roll of V3 teklite. eDead FTW!
          1992 Accord LX Wagon 248K/155 Miles

Comment

Lookin good!...Did you notice much from rolling the V3 on the floor? I have multiple layers of V1SE2 completely covering my trunk floor & sides and up under the rear seat to under rear feet. I also rolled V3 over the muffler and spare areas underneath the V1......trying to reduce resonance from my exhaust but the biggest difference I had is when I put the 1/4" foam V4 up under the rear deck.......I still have some V1SE2 to finish the passenger floor to the firewall though just wondering if i'll notice much difference from it??

Edead is some awesome stuff!
            My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by qbodsyt
              planning to do the headliner? most people don't seem to do that, but I think I'm going to.....

and I have a 50ft roll of eDead V1se and a 25 foot roll of V3 teklite. eDead FTW!
              Actually, I have a sunroof from a 99 acura Cl I'm going to try and instal. So seeing as how half the roof would be gone I'm not doing anything with it at the moment. But once I get that sorted out it WILL be getting done for sure. Either all black or black with blue down the middle or something..

And V3 is the roll on goo, v4 is the teklight! ^_^ I used the v4 as the top layer in the front door behind the speakers to completely insulate and man, it's like I added an extra tweeter in the doors!

Originally posted by 19dabeast85
              Lookin good!...Did you notice much from rolling the V3 on the floor? I have multiple layers of V1SE2 completely covering my trunk floor & sides and up under the rear seat to under rear feet. I also rolled V3 over the muffler and spare areas underneath the V1......trying to reduce resonance from my exhaust but the biggest difference I had is when I put the 1/4" foam V4 up under the rear deck.......I still have some V1SE2 to finish the passenger floor to the firewall though just wondering if i'll notice much difference from it??

Edead is some awesome stuff!
              Well heck it was still drying last night! But I did crank it up with my head in there, even with no interior (I did drive it with just the one seat) it's already I think at least a third quieter... Paying attention to where sound leaks through is half the problem, because it also resonates in open spaces. The back doors are a HUGE deal for exhaust noise believe it or not.. the rear quarter around the wheel well for road humm, the floor for everything combined. I don't know that the front half of the floor matters as much for exhaust noise, but it does matter for sound coming off the front tire. The dash has a rubber noise barrier from the floor up, when the dash does come out I will be layering that with V3 to quiet engine noise more. But I think biggest thing will be to get a lightweight engine pad that goes under the hood, but that's a ways away.

For the exhaust, really it's going to come in the car lol.. Add an extra weld in resonator to quiet it down. Add two and it'll purr!!! lol I could only afford one for now, so I'll have to see when I make my exhaust here soon how it sounds with a high flow cat, one resonator and a flowmaster 44

Comment

Everything combined that i've done so far has really quietened it down alot......I still need to put a layer of v4 on the rear seat back and then layer the inside of the rear doors and that should help a little. The exhaust isn't near as loud as it used to be though. (I've already got a 14" & 22" resonator pouring into my OBX straight-through and it sounds AWESOME!!! very deep and not tinny at all). I have also removed my exhaust shield under car and put the v4 anywhere that the shield came close to the car or was out in the open and it reduced many of my rattles especially @ cold start but didn't do much for sound.

But yeah, I over all really happy with the exhaust, it's just fairly loud between 75-88 mph.
                My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

Originally posted by 19dabeast85
                  Everything combined that i've done so far has really quietened it down alot......I still need to put a layer of v4 on the rear seat back and then layer the inside of the rear doors and that should help a little. The exhaust isn't near as loud as it used to be though. (I've already got a 14" & 22" resonator pouring into my OBX straight-through and it sounds AWESOME!!! very deep and not tinny at all). I have also removed my exhaust shield under car and put the v4 anywhere that the shield came close to the car or was out in the open and it reduced many of my rattles especially @ cold start but didn't do much for sound.

But yeah, I over all really happy with the exhaust, it's just fairly loud between 75-88 mph.
                  V4 on the back of the seat? I would think that's the least helpful place you could put it... the seat already absorbes a TON of that noise range as it is, use it somewhere else that doesn't have any!

Try driving without the back seat, you'll see it's doing a great job! Cover the doors for sure, and the tire wells from the inside with the v4 if you havent. The little pads on the side of the rear seat? remove those, there's a TON of sound that comes through there I found.

But yeah it's gonna be loud at that spead lol... but two things about exhaust, I've heard headers make a drone or whine, so you could strip the carpet out and somehow cover the whole center raised part up from the shifter to the firewall... also someone said they had a ton of noise and when they had the h22 swap done it pushed the exhaust back an inch, and just the tip being moved out all of a sudden it was SILENT in the car. Like it moved just out of the cars resonating frequency??? Something to consider..

Comment

so u like the roll on stuff better the matting stuff???
                    Members Ride sold...
                    I'm back...... with a coupe. oh boy here we go.

Comment

somebodies been buisy
                      "Self Renewed"

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinspeeds
                        Actually, I have a sunroof from a 99 acura Cl I'm going to try and instal. So seeing as how half the roof would be gone I'm not doing anything with it at the moment. But once I get that sorted out it WILL be getting done for sure. Either all black or black with blue down the middle or something..

And V3 is the roll on goo, v4 is the teklight! ^_^ I used the v4 as the top layer in the front door behind the speakers to completely insulate and man, it's like I added an extra tweeter in the doors!
                        I stand corrected, I have the V4......I was even thinking about working on it this evening, its finally getting a little warm here. I kind of want to do it all in one fell swoop for the life altering change effect, but realistically I should probably do the door panels piece meal and then do the floor in one shot.....

How did you completely insulate the doors? Did you plaster it on the outer skin and then put it on the door frame too? I wish someone would post step by step pics of an install just for reference.....the stuff is so pricey, I'd hate to waste any of it by doing it stupid.....
                        1992 Accord LX Wagon 248K/155 Miles

Comment

Originally posted by loud92CB7db18
                          so u like the roll on stuff better the matting stuff???
                          Well, they had a deal on 'dent/scratch' cans of the stuff so it was $35 per can instead of $50. So I already had one (got the 10% discount on the first can) so basically I've got enough to do the WHOLE car.

I did two layers on the REAR doors, and MAN it made a huge difference...

Right now, with everything stripped, it was sooo loud. I could hear a 'sizzling noise from the exhaust (unbolted the muffler section so it's under the rear seat) along with the humming. Did a couple layers and driving it today the sizzling isn't audible, it doesn't 'fill' the car with humming. It's audible but I can hear where it's coming from and I'd estimate the volume is down at least half from the exhaust and rear tire noise. Used about one gallon on the rear seat/whole floor, quite a bit less weight than that much matting would have been and still quite effective. I Wasn't sure about but MAN it's worth it..

Originally posted by KeelesKustome
                          somebodies been buisy
                          Just a little bit! I'm dreading the trunk a bit because I can't decide on the sub box! I know how I want to place/glass everything I just really dont' know if I want to go sealed/ported/Infinite baffle. I love how people think my friend and I have 'subs' plural when it's one cheap/lightweight speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by qbodsyt
                            I stand corrected, I have the V4......I was even thinking about working on it this evening, its finally getting a little warm here. I kind of want to do it all in one fell swoop for the life altering change effect, but realistically I should probably do the door panels piece meal and then do the floor in one shot.....

How did you completely insulate the doors? Did you plaster it on the outer skin and then put it on the door frame too? I wish someone would post step by step pics of an install just for reference.....the stuff is so pricey, I'd hate to waste any of it by doing it stupid.....
                            which set of doors? The front I got no pictures of sorry.. when I re-do the front panels I'll take some pictures while it's off. I actually have some spray foam in there as well along the bottom channel (was careful so I didn't pop the outer skin!!!) b/c it's light and will help a bit, heck I had to use the can up (I Was filling the empty tubing in the trunk support, awesome/light kills the trunk rattles!). But I did two layers as far as I could reach in the doors of the edead v1se, then one layer of the tecklight on top probably about 8" square. Just so there is no immediate bouncing that will cancel out sound in any range. Omg all of a sudden the front speakers didn't get drowned out, especially when driving!!!!! Anyone who upgrades the front speakers HAS to do it to really get near the full benefit! I'll never not do it to a car now that I know..

And the edead brand isn't pricy compared to literally anything else, it's the cheapest per sq ft by far. The 2$ sq ft v4 is awesome too because almost no other company has lightweight matting to help with the higher frequency noise. I think it's great because it kills the tire noise on the highway..

But dude just do the inside of the doors behind the speakers if that's all you have as best as you can get in there, I promise you won't be dissapointed! I'll be painting the rest of it with the roll on plus probably the back of the door panels (front only) since the speaker will be mounted on that now.

Comment

you are doing the deadening roof as well, right? that is a single-layer piece of metal that can move a LOT!

it looks good man, i cant believe how alike our plans are! i am getting a gallon of the roll-on and 60-100 square feet of v1!

as for the amps, if you put them in the floor like that, you will need some pretty heavy-duty airflow from some fans or you will burn your amps up.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                              Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                              'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                              Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Working...
                              X