Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antenna is lame, any suggestions?

Hi all,

I recently got my car back from the shop...and I wasn't able to afford the shaving of the antenna the right way, so I still have it. My problem is it NEVER worked. Even when it was fully extended I had no reception. My question is that when I bought the car the antenna was junk, so they replaced it with a generic manual one. Now, I have a feeling they tried to splice it and not connect it in, or something stupid like that. I've also heard that once you cut the antenna wire, it's junk.

I just wondered if there was anything I could do to get good reception on my car. Basically with my antenna pulled out and extended I do get some reception, but its always rather fuzzy, so I just keep it down because I'm kinda sick of it.

If I got an OEM piece and put it all in connected right, would I be able to get it to work? I could use the DIY greenCB7 had with the switch...

best bet is to replace the actual antennea wire.. if you finish taking the rear seat out and pull up a little of the carpet on one side(drivers i think) you might see it.. i can dbl check later to see again. if not you can get a new antennea and new wire and mount it in a different place, like one of those litte shark things like on a new is300 or something.. similar to those.

Comment

hey mike.. u can always get one of these:

*note: those wires are the cable lines outside the house, not the antenna
      keep your old antenna there since it ain't working, and use this instead for better reception.
      5.6L V8 32V DOHC
      JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
        hey mike.. u can always get one of these:

*note: those wires are the cable lines outside the house, not the antenna
        keep your old antenna there since it ain't working, and use this instead for better reception.
        I'd like one of those...but I think my antenna was actually cut BEFORE the connector...so that's where I think I got screwed, but maybe not...

Comment

mike lets see you car man with body work done..
          http://www.get-gifts-for-free.com/?ref_id=4810

1992 Honda Accord 4dr 5spd EX- R.I.P 8/10/05

Comment

s2k antenna

Comment

Hmmm...oddly enough I pulled out the antenna today and tried it...the reception doesn't actually suck anymore. It was the reception I had issues with in the past...not so much the antenna itsself.

So I might just get the internal one and then get the antenna shaved after I paint the car again.

Comment

Does shaving the antenna..............means that you take it out of the hole and then patch up the hole with Bondo and paint over it?

When I got my car, my OEM motorized antenna was totally shot and the previous owner had removed the mast and did a botched up job of repairing it.
                I took the entire assembly out and after disassembling it, found that it would be cheaper to install a brand new manual antenna than putting a mast in.

I bought a $15 manual "lockable" antenna that came with 2 keys. After installing it, I took some metal conditioning lube (available at Radio Shack) and sprayed it on the male motorola plug (the one that is coming from the radio) and installed it. My reception is through the roof. I get stations that I never got before.

Also keep in mind that good quality resistor type plugs and OEM wires help tremendously with antenna reception. PRIMOCB7......how much does that antenna cost? It looks cool!
                1992 Accord Coupe 5-Speed

Comment

I got a VW antenna that mounts on your roof. It looks pretty hot. I will post that when i get pics of the transformation up.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
                    ..So I might just get the internal one and then get the antenna shaved after I paint the car again.
                    the internal antenna can also be amplified for even stronger, and better reception. and it only cost about $20-$25.

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
                    I got a VW antenna that mounts on your roof. It looks pretty hot. I will post that when i get pics of the transformation up.
                    oh no!! not the Fuba antenna.. circa 1998
                    i still have flashbacks of this civic i saw with two of those things on his roof
                    the sad part was you could tell it was the fake ones you buy at pep boys, or some cheap local parts shop.
                    5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                    JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

here is an e-bay s2k antenna for like 14 bucks..not sure on shipping....it looks to shiny for me..i want something darker...
                      plus someone was saying that taking out the antenna reduces the weight in the car by a few pounds.i think 14 pounds to be exact according to the weight reduction thread...the old antenna oem motor that is.

Last edited by 93EXaesthetic; 08-28-2005, 08:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
                        oh no!! not the Fuba antenna.. circa 1998
                        i still have flashbacks of this civic i saw with two of those things on his roof
                        the sad part was you could tell it was the fake ones you buy at pep boys, or some cheap local parts shop.
                        No no, I got the real one in black. It works pretty well. I might change the mast. Its calles a Fuba antenna??? Hmmn. Well, the mast looks like the one that 93exaethsetic posted in that pic but i may change it and get the short one.

Comment

i ditched mine and went with a Ford Focus antenna. and mounted it on the trunk. i like it alot. and extreamly amazed at the reception that i get with it. and when the bass hits, it dances from the vibration on the trunk. the lower the note, the more she dances.
                          and if you go to the DIY's section, there is an aritcal on shaving the stock antenna hole. way cheap and works great.

Comment

Working...
                          X