Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

ECU tuning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECU tuning...

I searched, found a few stickies but not the one I was looking for. I had read a stickied post about the different variations to use; cheap ways, expensice ways, and all kinds of different information on it. I couldnt find it thougg...

I have a lot of questions...Im going with an H22. And I want to runa chiped p28 but I have no idea how to chip and what not. Crome has p28 support right. I know you can download crome from their website, but what chip do you use to chip the ecu and how does it connect to a lap top?

This is what I used to get myself started
    Clicjk here! It's a good start to DIY chipping and what you need to get yourself started. Save a copy to your desktop it will come in handy

There is also this site: Click here for another good tute on Getting started with Crome.
    MR Thread
    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Crome and Uberdata are all chips that have to be burned right? I want a system that you can hook a computer up to the ecu.

Hondata s300 can do this right?

And I know using a dyno to tune is a lo9t better but for those wwo tune without a dyno what exactly do you tune and what do you base it on?

Comment

Crome and Uberdata are ROM editing applications (software) That is used to compile a data file or Bin file that is burnt to a chip.

Crome, eCtune, Neptune and Hondata all hook up to your ECU via a computer. I think what your looking for is called RTP or real time programming. Yes Hondata and Neptune can do this but with a product such as the Moates Ostrich so can Crome and eCtune. Uberdata is going the way of the dinosaur as far as I know.

You tune from basemaps. These consist of fuel and ignition maps along with controls for all of the other PGM-FI sensors and outputs. To tune on a dyno or on the street most people base there map tuning on Air to fuel ratios aka AFR's. The afr's are monitored using a wideband O2 sensor (Innovate LC-1) and some tuners may use EGT's or exhaust gas temperature probes as well.

Sorry I am not a professional tuner and I don't have all of the answers for you. but with what I have given you, you should be able to do a bit more research on your own into what AFR's, Basemaps, Wideband O2 sensor and EGT's are all about. That is how I learned, lots of reading then hands on.

There are a few books on modern engine tuning and performance. "Building & Tuning High-Performance Electronic Fuel Injection" is a well known tuning book by Ben Strader. There is also a $400 EFI 101 course that you can take @ EFI University if your lucky enough to live near one of the lecture sites.
        Last edited by GhostAccord; 07-01-2008, 05:05 PM.
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I vote for Ghost Accord to be ECU tuning mod.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Thanks alot a lot of good info...I plan on getting a wideband o2 and trying to attempt a street tune.

Comment

Great info!

So, without a dyno, and lets just say someone knew how to use chrome or Uberdata to their full potential, could the tune be precise enough to properly run a built/semi-built motor?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                Crome and Uberdata are ROM editing applications (software) That is used to compile a data file or Bin file that is burnt to a chip.

Crome, eCtune, Neptune and Hondata all hook up to your ECU via a computer. I think what your looking for is called RTP or real time programming. Yes Hondata and Neptune can do this but with a product such as the Moates Ostrich so can Crome and eCtune. Uberdata is going the way of the dinosaur as far as I know.

You tune from basemaps. These consist of fuel and ignition maps along with controls for all of the other PGM-FI sensors and outputs. To tune on a dyno or on the street most people base there map tuning on Air to fuel ratios aka AFR's. The afr's are monitored using a wideband O2 sensor (Innovate LC-1) and some tuners may use EGT's or exhaust gas temperature probes as well.

Sorry I am not a professional tuner and I don't have all of the answers for you. but with what I have given you, you should be able to do a bit more research on your own into what AFR's, Basemaps, Wideband O2 sensor and EGT's are all about. That is how I learned, lots of reading then hands on.

There are a few books on modern engine tuning and performance. "Building & Tuning High-Performance Electronic Fuel Injection" is a well known tuning book by Ben Strader. There is also a $400 EFI 101 course that you can take @ EFI University if your lucky enough to live near one of the lecture sites.
                Well said.
                Also check out pgmfi.org for more info.

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post
                I vote for Ghost Accord to be ECU tuning mod.
                Lol only cause your sick of everyone Pm'ing you

Also there is now Haltech ecu thanks to Chessboxer (free plug )

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by TheChosenOne View Post
                  Great info!

So, without a dyno, and lets just say someone knew how to use chrome or Uberdata to their full potential, could the tune be precise enough to properly run a built/semi-built motor?
                  yes.

Comment

lol...yeah Thanks for the nomination but I don't have the time. Nor do I have the knowledge & experience that you have d112crzy..thanks for the props though.

As for your question about street tuning......tuning without a dyno. I agree with d112crzy. Only thing is it will probably take you longer to hit all of the points on the graph. On a dyno you can control the amount of load on the engine at any given RPM to help you get a "quick" and precise tune.

Street tuning in my case was like this. Drive & log - interpret log - make changes, Drive & log - interpret log - make changes, Drive & log - interpret log - make changes etc etc. And you have to find a good road to get all the different load variables. ie a nice long even grade hill, a long flat road. Staying within the confines of your local speed limits of course I did mine over a two day period. It's just faster on a dyno.
                    MR Thread
                    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

but not all dynos are load dynos.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperTuner12010 View Post
                        Crome and Uberdata are all chips that have to be burned right? I want a system that you can hook a computer up to the ecu.
                        Stop watching fast and the furious and start reading.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

There is some inexperience shining through for ya, only dyno I've been near was a sustained-load chassis dyno. I just assumed they were all like that....never realized that there are dynos that are acceleration "calculating" dynos.....learn something new every day.
                          Last edited by GhostAccord; 07-03-2008, 02:19 PM.
                          MR Thread
                          GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

just buy a chipped ecu. I will only chip an ecu for someone who begs me. I hate desoldering as i dont have a 100 dollar desoldering gun with a built in vacuum pump.

eCtune and NepTune are the only systems i support now. Crome software support is god awful, uberdata is out dated, Hondata can suck a nut, and standalone is freaking expensive, lol.
                            www.850fab.com
                            IG - @850Fab
                            FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

Tuning a Haltech E8 is actually pretty easy, very user friendly.
                              /shameless plug!

But you are right, stand alones are not cheap, but there is a reason for that too. Not for everyone by any means, but they are great for those who can justify them.
                              2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
                              2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

Comment

Working...
                              X