Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Hypothetical engine build... input please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you look at some chamber designs they are only a tub shape and don't even cover the diameter of the piston. All depends on the quench areas and how much clearance you have between the piston and cylinder head.

This build being a boosted one I would assume that the pistons are dished/stock. Therefore there is no real danger of piston to head or valve clearance issues. The piston to deck height is -0.002 (out of the hole) stock. so I don't see this as even being an issue really.

IMO if you were to go the other way around it would be more of an issue. The mushroom head = 85mm bore with an 87mm cylinder head chamber. For example the H22 head on F22 block swap. This actually puts a dead spot in the chamber for carbon to build up in. In turn this could cause hot spots. Not a real issue when you go 86mm bore 85mm chamber.

Just my 2¢ worth!

Good luck ether way!
    MR Thread
    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Yeah clearance definitely wouldn't be an issue with this with a factory compression height/rod length/stroke. Simply design of the quench area.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

i know no one asked for my opinion but i wouldn't be too worried about it. chamfer the edges and be done with it.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
          i know no one asked for my opinion but i wouldn't be too worried about it. chamfer the edges and be done with it.
          Always appreciate opinions.
          Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Wow, I forgot there even WAS a non-VTEC F23A! I can't remember the last time I saw a 6th gen DX.

Still, I think everything needed to make the head work will end up being just as expensive as modifying the F22A head, if not more so.

I wonder how the F23A5 port design is in comparison to the F22A...

Comment

lol...... #11....

F23A1-5 are all PAA castings, same as the F22A1-6 are all PT3 castings.
              MR Thread
              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Yeah, I did read that this morning (as I was halfway out the door... ) But I wasn't sure if it was the same casting. I suppose I assumed the VTEC heads have different castings than the non-VTEC heads.

Comment

In the F23 the only differences are the rockers and cam. They use the same cam caps and everything. Honda was being crafty when they designed the F23 series engines.

It would be pretty easy to convert a Non VTEC F23A5 into VTEC. Swap out the rockers and cam. Remove the oil passage cover and install the VTEC solenoid and pressure switch.
                  Last edited by GhostAccord; 03-01-2012, 10:05 PM.
                  MR Thread
                  GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Wouldn't milling the head bump up the compression?

Comment

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post
                      Wouldn't milling the head bump up the compression?
                      The short answer, yes it would. But you would eliminate the issue at hand (CC bore size matching with the cylinder bore size).
                      Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

I too have been planning my build and I never really thought about the mismatch.

Comment

I am pretty certain your "issue" isn't really an issue. When the head bore is LARGER than the cylinder bore you get major issues if not planned carefully. But with the head bore slightly smaller than cylinder bore you will be perfectly safe just chamfering around the bore in the head.

However, looking at the flow numbers of that F23 head, if you are deciding between oem F23 head or oem F22 head with NO porting, and IF everything on the F23 head lines up....in stock form it will flow better than the F22. But who does a full build without porting the head?
                          My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

As far as the F23 head goes.... It too can be ported to gain some fairly good flow numbers. As good as the F22 maybe not.... But I can't see anyone complaining about a street/strip port and +1mm valves flowing 300cfm.

F23A ported w/+1mm OS valves
                            Lift - Int. - Exh.
                            0.1" - 96 - 79
                            0.2" -178 - 151
                            0.3" -246 - 202
                            0.4" -289 - 215
                            0.5" -303 - 221

That's good for up to 270-300hp N/A with a proper intake and exhaust 90-100% VE. The exhaust being 73% is kind of a low. However, it could work very well with a proper cam.
                            MR Thread
                            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Proper intake in this case being ITBs.
                              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Yes! If you want to make use of 300cfm and get 300hp N/A out of any F series head, be it an F22A or an F23A. It will require some sort of aftermarket or custom intake and exhaust setup. A pair of double Weber carbs would work as well.
                                MR Thread
                                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X